bought a G&L neck, is it real?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by oneass, Feb 23, 2012.

1. oneass

oneass Member

Hi all,

I found a place that sells mainly used instruments (online), but recently they somehow managed to get a few (5) unused G&L necks.
    As far as I know, G&L doesn't sell replacement necks; however, this seems to be the genuine stuff - from both the Tribute series and the USA series. Some of them are finished, some are not, and some are sold as having minor damage.

They are being sold at amazing prices, so obviously I couldn't resist, and I ordered one G&L USA ASAT classic neck!! :) (even though I realize this is not compatible with a standard fender body)
    I received it today, so here is a picture:

[​IMG]

It looks and feels really great in person! :) More pictures to come...
    So... what do you guys think? I hope I didn't buy anything that had been stolen or something like that... Apart from the ridiculously low price and the fact that, AFAIK, G&L doesn't sell separate necks, I have no reason to think these are fakes.

2. oneass

oneass Member

a few more pictures:
    [​IMG]

Here you can see the damage (I knew about this before I bought it, there was even a picture on the seller's website):
    [​IMG]

The frets seem to be kinda unpolished, or is this normal? The one on the right in particular looks a bit rough (though it does feel smooth):
    [​IMG]

Obviously, tuners had been installed (and removed without much care, I guess):
    [​IMG]

Something is written on the heel, and there are a few screwholes (maybe these were used to temporarily attach the neck to a body?):
    [​IMG]

This is the serial number, which points to a US-made neck:
    [​IMG]

The back of the neck shows beautifully figured maple - though my phone's camera doesn't really capture the depth of it:
    [​IMG]

3. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

Looks real, a few years old. Does it have the plugged jig holes on the back?

4. oneass

oneass Member

If you mean the hole in this picture, then yes, it does:
    [​IMG]

5. oneass

oneass Member

oh, I just noticed I forgot to mention the price I paid: 44 EUR, shipping included! :D
    (that's about 60 US dollars)

6. m-m-m

m-m-m Member

Nice. Why would it be fake? Who would go to the trouble of counterfeiting a guitar neck from g&l? I would guess that it's the real deal.

7. oneass

oneass Member

Yeah, you're right, it wouldn't be very smart to counterfeit a g&l neck... but still, I think it's weird that it is so cheap, especially knowing that g&l replacement necks are hard (or almost impossible) to find.

8. MissoulaGriz

MissoulaGriz Member

The real question will be if it plays as sweet as a typical G&L neck. I honestly don't think there is a better neck made in the industry. Looks like the real deal to me.

9. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

Yes, thats what I meant. I haven't seen that on any non-G&L neck.

Fretwork coming out the factory is better. They are polished and crowned very nicely.

Maybe G&L left their dumpster unlocked one night and someone scooped a bunch of 2nds.

10. Mc Tanza

Mc Tanza Member

If it wasn't for the hole in the back, I'd say it's a bit fishy. Have you checked that the neck has the bi-cut system? Anyway, if the store is located in Europe, could you please post a link to it. Since I'm located in Europe I might be interested in cheap replacements for my G&L's. Thanks!

11. Luke V

Luke V Member

The frets may be that way from sitting around for a couple years. You could buff them with emory cloth to shine them up.

12. John C

John C Supporting Member

It would depend on the year of the neck; G&L quit using the bi-cut when they switched to using CNC for their necks a few years ago - maybe 2007 or 2008.

That one looks fairly legit; I wonder if you could contact G&L with that serial number and see if it matches an ASAT Classic with that tinted neck finish.

13. Ches

Ches Supporting Member

That serial number falls around 2008/2009 based on the GbL Registry. I believe the writing on the heel means:

AC = ASAT Classic
    RW = Rosewood
    TGW = Tint Gloss W???????

There's usually something on there to identify what neck profile and fingerboard radius, like #1, #2, etc.

14. oneass

oneass Member

thanks for all the answers thus far! I just sent an email to G&L, so maybe they can give me some more insight...

15. Davo17

Davo17 Member

Looks like a great neck.

16. Mc Tanza

Mc Tanza Member

You are absolutely right. I don't know why, but I automatically assumed that the neck had to come from an older instrument, and was suspicious because I think I haven't ever seen an old G&L with a flame maple neck.

17. landru64

landru64 Member

the questions it would raise for me are: does the truss rod work? is it possible to make the fingerboard flat under tension?

18. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

I have found that the most foolproof way to determine if a guitar neck is real or not, is to hit someone nearby over the head with it! You'll know right quick. At this point in time I can confidently state that all my necks are real.