1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Bought a Louis Electric Baby Bluesbreaker, what to expect?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bluesbreaker59, Dec 16, 2017.

1. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

Just wondering what to expect, the demos of it on YouTube are less than flattering in my opinion. I love the sound of a good early Marshall. Wondering how the cleans are? This one has EL34’s installed currently, so I’m thinking it might be a bit more like a JTM50 type tone. Good clean to mild overdrive? I love the tone of the Germino Club 40, wondering if it’s in that ballpark?

Any experience? I already have a used KR12 and a newer Gattone, they are both ridiculous sounding. KR12 is the best amp I’ve ever heard.

2. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Member

I’m curious why you even bought the amp, considering the video demos you watched were “less than flattering”?

Did you get an offer you couldn’t refuse?

3. bluesbreaker59

Correct, it was very well priced and I’ve been thrilled by my other 2 Louis amps.

4. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Member

That makes sense. Good luck with your growing family!

5. bluesbreaker59

6. bluesbreaker59

7. bluesbreaker59

8. bluesbreaker59

FYI- got the amp and had it for about 10 days. It’s spectacular. Like the greatest early Marshall tones you’ve ever heard. Mine shipped with EL34’s, and I verified with Lou that the tranny is meant for EL34’s. The fattness and bloom of notes is just absurd. Bright channel isn’t too bright, normal channel is full and fat. With my R7, it can get into Duane at The Fillmore (Stormy Monday) fat and full cleans. The overdriven tones are all the classics you’d expect: AC/DC at half volume, Duane at 6.5 bright channel middle position tone rolled back to 7 on Guitar, vintage ZZ Top is amp volume at 7.5. Beano can be done with some creative turning of knobs, however, no KT66’s in mine currently.

Tone controls are highly effective, and do exactly as they should. The dampening / NFB control on the amp also adds fat low mids and slight volume increase. I like to call this the magic knob.

My Nocaster also sounds very full. It can even do vintage country cleans. Alt Country sounds terrific with this combination.

Overall just a very big, fat amp. If you’re looking for thinner tones, master volumes, Reverb, lots of silly knobs, look elsewhere. If you want all the big fat, Classic Marshall tones you can handle, this is your amp.

Minor complaint: mine came with a G12H30, which is slightly underpowered for this amp when it’s cranked up. I could here it starting to fail about 6. So I ordered a Scumback H75 65 watt.

9. DV52

DV52 Member

Nice enjoy your new amp sir .

bluesbreaker59 likes this.
  10. bluesbreaker59

KT66’s are the best for this amp! Mine came with EL34’s and a Merren 50w type OT and it was good, but I knew it could be better. So I called Chris Merren, who winds all of Louis transformers, and bought a correct JTM45 style OT and got KT66’s. Sounds AMAZING NOW! Such a great amp, and so smooth and fat!

roknfnrol likes this.
  11. rburkard

rburkard Gold Supporting Member

This is one heck of an amp. Had one Several years ago. Incredible sounding amp in a small package. Very pedal friendly.

bluesbreaker59 and roknfnrol like this.