Bought a new guitar but it has sharp fret ends all along...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Crow, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Crow

Crow Supporting Member

So I bought new guitar...a strat relic. It sound incredible, but it has sharp fret ends on each side all along the neck. The rest of the build quality is great however and it sounds incredible (best I've heard).

I could return it to the store, but I'm thinking I could take it to a luthier for fretwork. Anyone know how much that would run me?

2. Rich

Rich Member

Its fret sprout -- due to lack of proper humidity, the board shrank. The frets don't.

No biggie. If you left it alone the board would expand with higher humidity and likely solve most if not all of the problem.

BUT... now is the very best time to bring to a luthier and have him file down the exposed fret ends & tangs. Probably never see sprout again.

Don't know where you are, but its an inexpensive fix. If you bought it new from a reputable dealer with a good in-house tech, I'd approach them first for a freebie fix.

3. Route234

Route234 Member

You can do it yourself but even if you pay it doesnt cost much. I have bad humidity at my house and this happens to most of my guitars at some point. Ive gotten to where I just do it myself but when I paid someone before it was like 40 bucks.

4. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Curious.....is it a Fender?

5. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

Yep, it's fret sprout due to too little humidity.
    Take it to a tech and spend the $30/$40 to have them filed flush.
    You'll most likely never have that issue again.

6. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Search YOUTUBE for filing fret ends. Do it yourself. It is a relic after all.
    I agree that now it the time to knock it down before the spring brings the humidity.

7. bkatx

bkatx Member

Same thing happened with one of my EBMM guitars. After a few months in my house the guitar settled and the sprouting went away and hasnt returned. I'm guessing the store I bought it from had a low humidity problem.

8. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

Every low end squire and fender in a Denver GC (or any other store I assume) exhibits this right now.

9. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Member

Every Fender I own has it going on...From Custom Shop models to a Squier! It's winter...no worries!

10. Crow

Crow Supporting Member

Thanks guys. Given that it's a keeper. BTW it wasn't a Fender.

11. John_M

John_M Member

Happened to all my guitars after a winter in the basement with a pellet stove 80° and 20% humidity doesn't work well with guitars. I used my leveling file across the edges. Easy fix.

12. fossilfuel

fossilfuel dismember

13. ur2funky

ur2funky Supporting Member

Don't use a file!!!

It takes 30 seconds if you use this with emery sand paper:
    [​IMG]

Must use a block length-wise and sand in a headstock to bridge motion.

This same technique will turn fresh cut fret ends to beautifully rounded even ends in 2 minutes time!

14. geekocaster

geekocaster Member

what grit do you recommend?

15. ur2funky

ur2funky Supporting Member

I always have two blocks ready and loaded just for fret ends. One med and one fine grit. Fine grit will do the trick for shrinkage.

Sometimes you might need to finish with a flexible (fine grit) sanding sponge, but no more than a couple light passes as you want to sand the metal, not the wood.

It should feel like a baby's bottom!

16. monty

monty Member

Give it a week or so to in your home first to get used to the climate.

17. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

IMO and IME ... Do not file the fret ends unless & until you've hydrated the guitar well for at least 2 weeks.

Keep it in an environment with 40-50% humidity full time for 2 weeks and then see what the frets are doing.

Your guitar wants 40-45% humidity to live in. I've had a couple of cases where hydration solved the problem entirely and no filing was necessary.

18. John_M

John_M Member

Sorry - I meant leveling beam - sandpaper on this - use a fine grit like 400 or so -the 3m block is fine too - hell a chunk of 2x4 would work

[​IMG]

19. mellecaster

mellecaster Member

That may take care of the protruding ends (which btw is only a third of the problem) and so will the proper File....then you have the two sharp corners which everyone fails to mention (including You) and for that The small Stew-Mac File w/ the Safe edge is Ideal.....Notice I didn't have to use the Cap lock key once !......:cool: