Bought a Plimsoul yesterday, do I need it?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mike Duncan, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Staff Member

I've been using an OCD V3 for the past four years with no real complaints. I bought the Plimsoul yesterday and am really enjoying the tones - but just how more complex or different is it than the OCD? I hear some familiar tones in both. Anyone with any history - keeping in mind, I've only been allowed to go at bedroom volumes since last night.

Thanks!

2. antbosca

antbosca Member

I've been using the OCD a few years and really like it too. I got a Plimsoul a few months ago and have kept it. I like it, use, it, but it hasn't replaced the OCD or the Kalamazoo. It's got some great sounds and a LOT of gain. It wants to be pretty loud is my sense about it. You'll need to get above bedroom volumes to really assess the pedal.

3. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Staff Member

I'm going to crank it tomorrow.

4. yerbluesrob

yerbluesrob Supporting Member

No, you don't need it. You should give it to me.

5. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Staff Member

Ha! There's one in every thread.

6. Dave

Dave Member

I've been using an OCD for years and recently picked up a Plimsoul. I like the OCD better for my crunch/rhythm and use the Plimsoul for leads. The Plimsoul has more mids and sounds better at higher gain settings. The Plimsoul has some crackle when notes decay. It's not bad, but my OCD decays smoothly, which is another reason I prefer it as on OD.

7. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

No, you don't need it!
    We know now u bought one, but again, u don't need it :D

8. coralreefer

coralreefer Senior Member

Bought a Plimsoul yesterday, do I need it?

A...little...late...for...that....question!

9. GarMan

GarMan Supporting Member

I tried out a plimsoul yesterday for about 30 minutes, and I noticed this as well. Some high end fizzyness on the decaying notes.

10. Rock Steady

Rock Steady Member

Yes! I noticed this too! I just got it last week and I was like that doesnt sound right. It sounded very annoying too my ears and it was beginning to turn me off. I honestly though mine was defective or something cause I bought it used at a local guitar shop. Atleast others are experiencing the same things as me :bonk

11. David Garner

David Garner Member

Tone report? I'm thinking about buying one.

12. Guitarbrett

Guitarbrett Supporting Member

I have the Plimsoul and had the OCD for a long time. To me, the OCD was better at lighter gain, but the Plimsoul is better at medium gain. As you turn the drive up on the OCD (v4), it gets very bassy; a little too scooped for me at medium to higher gain. The Plimsoul's EQ is just about perfect at medium to higher gains. The crackle being referred to happens with stage 2, which uses the LED at lease in part to provide clipping. I keep stage 2 down to about 1/4-1/2 and think it sounds great this way. The broken up decay has never really been an issue for me.

13. rabbuhl

rabbuhl Member

Got a PlimSoul on the way. I am curious how it will sound especially as a boost for solos.

14. strombie

strombie Member

I have both pedals, and wasn't sure I really needed both on my board when I bought the Plimsoul, but overall I'm glad I did. It's nice having a few different flavors of overdrive even if there is some similary/overlap. To echo earlier comments, the Plimsoul does leads much better, but the OCD has that raw, amp-like feel that I enjoy for rhythm work. I love Fulltone pedals, no lie. The 69 fuzz is pure gold. But I digress...

15. Faded

Faded Member

Yep...

16. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

i really like the plimsoul! maybe...even more than the fulldrive ii. it's way heavier but also more dynamic and the two gain stages are really great sounding. some people have said it's a harsh pedal but i can't hear that at all. very creamy and super warm mids at just the right highs & lows. it sounds incredible with a band and doesn't need the amp to do as much work as the fulldrive. i love rat pedals & tube screamers and this pedal is the bridge between those two boxes. very, very good pedal!