Bought a Strat that was listed at 7.2 lbs.....it's 7.8 lbs

diogoguitar

An Ibanez I bought was listed at 7.4lbs and came at 8.9lbs. Mahogany is so unpredictable. When I called the Guitarcenter Las Vegas seller Daniel to see what to do about it, he literally hung up on me twice. Like, "oh, I'm getting into a tunnel, what did you say?" (on a landline)

Last edited:

ag1972lo

Well...I can't be sure as why, exactly, that discrepancy exists. But two thoughts:

• Some sellers just mindlessly republish manufacturer weight specs, if available - they don't actually weigh the guitar.
  • Lots of sellers tend to use food scales to weigh guitars because they are easily available and cheap. I know that my own food scale will tend to under-report a guitar's weight by 5-10% - depending on the neck-body balance.

jblake

I sold a Telecaster with a description that it weighed 7-ish lbs on my bathroom scale. The buyer wanted to return in because it was actually 7lbs, 4oz on his postal scale. I told him to go kick rocks but Reverb made me take it back. Then it got damaged in return shipping. That was my last Reverb transaction.

rhinocaster

Gold Supporting Member
7oz thread! But in all seriousness I’ve never weighed a guitar in my life, but I can certainly understand why someone with back issues or something would.

Haha...yeah, 7oz thread!

Interestingly enough I fried my back yesterday....my boss loves Strats (He's not a player) and asked what it weighed. I took it to the shop scale to see.

I'm sure there's a weight difference that would really make me want to send a guitar back but it would likely be pounds different than expected/advertised. :)

Marshall_1/2_Stack

Lordy Mama light my fuse
Haha...yeah, 7oz thread!

Interestingly enough I fried my back yesterday....my boss loves Strats (He's not a player) and asked what it weighed. I took it to the shop scale to see.

I'm sure there's a weight difference that would really make me want to send a guitar back but it would likely be pounds different than expected/advertised. :)
shave the neck - remove one pickup - remove the string tree - titanium strings
worked for me

Trending Topics

Top Bottom