Bought a Suhr from Belgium, but not what I ordered

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jasonparque, Feb 21, 2020.

1. jasonparque

jasonparque Member

Hey guys,

Long time lurker and just made an account! After countless hours of browsing TGP I decided to purchase my first Suhr Standard HSS! Thanks everyone who contributed to those threads. I found a dealer in Belgium with the perfect specs and color I wanted and ordered it and it just arrived!

However, on their website it said it was equipped with V60LP's, but when I received the guitar the spec sheet said it had the V60's. It killed a bit of my NGD high. I enjoy the sound, but can't help but wish I still had the V60LP's in there.

I love the guitar and everything else about it. I haven't heard the V60LP's before and bought it based on TGP advice that suited me. I should have suspected something was off since Standards didn't typically come with V60LP's and should've inquired further (my fault ultimately).

Are the V60LP's worth creating a fuss with the dealer (I saved the webpage screenshot) and returning and dealing with customs? Or are the differences negligible that it's not worth the hassle?

Any advice I would appreciate. Thanks ahead of time :)

2. BPlexico

BPlexico Gold Supporting Member

FWIW, if the guitar you purchased/received has the pickups specified by Suhr for that model, then I don't think it is worth worrying about. Is it a Suhr Standard Plus?

What would you like the dealer to do, and if you returned it what would you purchase?

3. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

I would reach out to the place you bought it first and let them know about this. When you're paying that kind of money for a guitar it should be exactly as described and you shouldn't have to bother with an international return to get this handled. The shop should take care of things for you if the mistake was on their end.

4. neville5000

neville5000 Supporting Member

I wouldn't worry about it. However, @Husky is the man. Maybe he has an opinion.

5. freedom's door

freedom's door Member

Okay, a lot of people may disagree with me, but I think you should keep the guitar.
    You didn't pay extra for the LPs, it may have just been a misprint on the web listing. I doubt the spec sheet is wrong, but who knows, maybe when they printed the spec sheet is was for V60, then it got changed to LPs at the last minute.
    Definitely reach out to Suhr @Husky to clarify which pickups are currently in your guitar!

I would also reach out to the shop, and see if they are willing to do something for you, but you already love the guitar, so you might also want to give the pickups in there a chance, and if you decide you really want the LPs, it's an easy swap for any luthier (or yourself, if you know how).

My experience is that guitars you "love everything about" are rare, so when you find one, do what it takes to keep it.

6. themoose

themoose Member

If you like the sound, what's the problem?

7. agquake

agquake Member

He may like the sound of the other pickups better. You know, the ones he thought he was getting. :)

HoboMan and Toffo like this.
  8. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

They will be whatever is on the factory spec sheet unless changed.

The LP has a lower resonant peak so it has a little more internal capacitance in the pickup and plays very nice with distortion. The standard V60 will have more sparkle, the difference is not night and day, it's all about the winding pattern, same wire and number of turns.

johnnyb128 likes this.
  9. jasonparque

jasonparque Member

Thanks for the responses.
    The guitar was a normal Standard (don't think they are making this anymore).
    This guitar typically comes with V60's from doing more research.

I'll reach out to the store and talk with them and see, but I guess I'm leaning towards keeping it.
    As mentioned, I was hoping for the LP for a more vintage tone, but it seems like it's not a huge difference.
    I'm pretty soft-spoken so I tend not to create conflict even if I am spending a bit of money.

I'll maybe do an update when I hear back tonight.

Do you guys think it's worth buying V60LP's and changing them out myself or having a shop do it?

10. jasonparque

jasonparque Member

I was actually about to pull a trigger on a Classic S that had the V60LP's, but I found this one that looked too good to be true.
    I really don't want to have to ship it back and I'm sure it was just a typo on their part, so I'll probably end up keeping it.

I think if it was a local store or somewhere in the states, I'd return it and shop for a Classic S. So that's why I came to TGP to see what other's would do. Seems like Mr. Suhr says it's not a night and day difference, so I'm leaning towards just enjoying it as is.

freedom's door likes this.
  11. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

If you've never changed out a set of pickups, that is too nice of a guitar to learn on.

I suspect you will end up loving the guitar as is.

12. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

The V60lp pickups are something that kept me from really digging the Suhr Strats initially...they're basically the one Suhr Strat pickup that I don't like at all.

It's a mistake to focus on any spec sheet to decide if you like a guitar......play the crap out of the guitar and see if you dig it. If you do, you're not missing a thing.

13. D K Souther

D K Souther Member

I agree. The V60LP never really floated my boat. I like the V70 quite a bit. But if you want a strictly vintage S pickup, why not order a set of SD antiquities? Those are the best vintage sounding S pickups for the money IMHO.

FloridaSam and rhinocaster like this.
  14. RicardoDiazHimself

RicardoDiazHimself Member

If you want something more "vintage" or classic, then the V60s will get you closer than the V60LP.
    Love my V60LPs, but for more sparkle and vintage then the V60s would be my choice.

15. unfunnyclown

unfunnyclown Member

I actually had a similar experience with my Fender Custom Shop telecaster. The shop I bought it from told me the pickups were one type, and I later learned that they were another when I called the manufacturer to get a spec sheet based on the serial number. It never bothered me because the guitar sounds great and because I am sure it was a simple mistake by the shop that didn’t affect the price of the guitar. I can imagine that I might feel different if I had been searching for a guitar equipped with particular pickups (I hadn’t been), but even then I don’t think I’d care as long as I was happy with the sound. I would definitely be bothered if I thought the shop had deliberately lied to make the sale, but I didn’t think that, and it doesn’t seem you think that in your case.

I recommend you play the guitar for awhile and, if you like the sound, it probably won’t bother you going forward.

And post a pic!

16. BPlexico

BPlexico Gold Supporting Member

If you love the guitar and love the sound, as you stated, then don’t let a mixup on pickup specification ruin your joy. If it still bothers you, reach out to the dealer and see what they might be able to do to make it right.

17. jasonparque

jasonparque Member

Thanks everyone for the advice. Agreed that I shouldn't get caught up in the specs if I enjoy it :) I've been spending all evening with it and looks like I'll just keep it. If there is something that I want more down the road I can look for options later.

It's sounding great and plays like butter. Thanks all!

I love the Mercedes Blue. Looks black, but the subtle blue I really like.

18. philiprst

philiprst Supporting Member

If you wanted to, I think you would be within your rights to return the guitar and I think that most responsible dealers would be fine with that. It was probably an innocent mistake on the part of the dealer but you didn't get what you thought you were getting and it is not really the buyer's responsibility to check a dealer's description for errors. Whether that is worth your while is another matter that only you can decide.

19. LReese

LReese Member

I've never owned a set of V60's, but I can't see them being a lot different from the LPs. I'd give the retailer a break - I could see that mistake being made.

20. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

I personally found the LP's to be too dark so I didn't keep them. If you like the V60's, I'd just keep the guitar as is and not worry about it.