Bought a weird Telecaster by "mistake" yesterday.

standard24

I got a line on a Mexican Tele for sale... Took a look at it, and it looked OK, but a few things concerned me. First, the bridge saddles weren't stamped "Fender".... That raised a big flag for me. The neck was very nice, and had the Made in Mexico/serial number decal on the back. The neck was glossy finished with a clear poly... No tint. Also the switch plate was reversed, and the knobs were amplifier knobs instead of guitar knobs.

I made the guy a low offer, thinking this was a "parts" guitar, and took it home. After checking around, I found that this was a Fender Blacktop Baritone Tele... (Who woulda' known?)

I didn't notice the scale length being any longer than normal, and the crappy strings on it were ordinary gauge and one missing.

Some internet searching told me that this used a special gauge of strings, and was tuned from B to B. I called Fender and got the string set number, and ordered a set for it. (They haven't arrived yet.)

Last night, I took it apart, cleaned and waxed everything and it looks beautiful. (3-T Sunburst).

When the strings come in, we'll see how it sounds....

I gotta learn "Wichita Lineman" to play on it.

Last edited:

standard24

At least I know I'm not the only weirdo that prefers to just wax his guitars.

No question... I always Turtle Wax all surfaces (except raw rosewood fretboards). A little car wax protects from skin oils/acids, and lasts for a long time. The chrome always looks great waxed.

Jerrod

Gold Supporting Member
That's quite an inspection that reveals concerns about the authenticity of the guitar based on the bridge saddles but doesn't observe that it's a baritone. ;)

Trending Topics