Bought an E-Bike

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Jarrett, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Yam the BOMB

Yam the BOMB Silver Supporting Member

I bought a pair of the Trek e-bikes for my wife and I last year. We really like them. Ours are the 28 mph models and I would recommend going that way if you are even close on price. The 21 mph just seemed like you were pushing it to the limit the whole time you ride it. I figure the price on the 28 mph's will drop once they really catch on with the masses. We are all getting older you know.
    https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...uter/super-commuter-8s/p/17297/?colorCode=red

rolandk and Jarrett like this.
  2. Tony Foran

Tony Foran Supporting Member

Most of the bikes sold in the USA are under euro restrictions regarding power. Mine is considered "off road only" but I've never run into any problems. The police around here ride e-bikes and all they have said to me is "nice bike".

dinocicerelli likes this.
  3. TuffyKohler

TuffyKohler Member

Put that front quick release lever towards the rear!!!

sorry... aesthetics.... not to be too picky, but your tire logos are 180* off. (I used to live with a cat 2 road cyclist, he was picky on so many details... I'm just teasing.)

One of the fat tire e-bikes is what I was first looking at, since I want some off road capability. My cyclist buddy quickly called me out for the one I sent him a link to not being 'cool enough'.

I'll see if I can find a link to that fat tire model...

4. Tony Foran

No, I didn't ride with the lever like that.:) I bought mine for winter riding and it noisy with off road tires on it. Tried it one day in winter and decided that wasn't for me. So, I put these tires on and they work great. I think fat tire and e- bikes are a great match. You get the cushy ride and with 1500 watts , it actually feels light and low 30s is doable but I rarely ride that fast.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  5. Silverthorn

Silverthorn Member

NotWesYet likes this.
  6. mirrorimij

mirrorimij Member

I bought a Juiced bike last year for around $1200. Best money I ever spent on a bike. I’m back in the saddle after 20 years.

7. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

I have wanted an E-bike so I could get home after drinking and not get hassled. Well, i will still get hassled but not thrown in the clink.

Jarrett and Bob Maximus like this.
  8. Jason_86_951

Jason_86_951 Supporting Member

I rode one of the Scott mountain eBikes at a MTB demo day a few weeks ago. We went to try the new Ibis and Yeti mountain bikes, but they didn't have a one ready for me. My son grabbed a Pivot Trail 429 and I jumped on the eBike.

Stupidly fun bike, I will get something like it someday when they lighten them up a bit. Very heavy bike, while it didn't matter when climbing with the assist, the downhill was a bit scary with all the extra weight.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  9. Tony Foran

Charging to 80% is suppose to greatly increase the life of the battery. The Grin Cycle Satiator is the way to go if your budget allows.

10. Steeltoe

Steeltoe Member

[​IMG]

This microbrand Karmic Koben S has my interest. Note the Gates Carbon Belt drive and NuVinci CVT internal gearing. $3200. Class 3 - 28mph. 46 lbs. My pedal bike also has the Gates belt drive, and there is no interest in going back to chain drive once you've experienced it, IMO. No dealers, online ordering only. https://www.karmicbikes.com/shop

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  11. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

First ride update. I met up with my old cycling buddies yesterday evening who are all training for the upcoming Hotter'n Hell ride later this month. They were doing longer miles out in my neck of the woods and I just jumped in to see how the bike would do. Keep in mind, these are seasoned, fully kitted-out riders that have been riding all year long on aero-barred race bikes and here I am in sandals and gym clothes after a year lay off on a bike that looks like it would be suited for a leisurely roll down the beach sidewalk.

Of course, I catch all the crap for being on a motorized bike but that fades pretty quickly as the ride starts. The wind was a solid 15 mph and we were riding into it quite a bit. We did about 632 feet of climb over 21 miles and held around a 16 mph average. They were all bent over, sweating, working hard. I'm sitting upright, leisurely pedaling along and enjoying the evening, all while at the same pace.

On the downhills, I had to brake to keep from passing them as the bike (and I) are much heavier than the riders in the group. On the uphills, I was easily the fastest in the group. Only on the first hill did I attack with the rest of them just because I wanted to see how it went. The e-bike made it easy to pass even the fastest climber in the group. After that, I laid back a bit so as not to be rubbing it in.

Today, I feel like I had a bit of a workout, but nothing like it would have been had I tried to do the same thing on my old road bike. It was a blast. Really enjoying this thing so far.

Wolfboy1, T92780 and Bob Maximus like this.
  12. Bob Maximus

Bob Maximus Silver Supporting Member

wow....dat be expensive! I hope they're using decent gearing components in these (i.e. NOT Chinese). My MB is a mid-level Trek. I've kept it going for 3 years now, but I got tired of the rusting/failing Chinese made components and replaced all of them with better stuff.

13. Steeltoe

Steeltoe Member

Jarrett, are the guys in your riding group all gonna dump their road bikes and go E-bike now? You are the standard-bearer now!

14. s2y

s2y Member

I still think someone who took my favorite KOM was on an e-bike. My best effort and matched power at my lower weight was still 15 seconds slower. The guy a hair slower than me is a professional triathlete.

15. Yam the BOMB

Yam the BOMB Silver Supporting Member

Yes it was expensive. What happened is my wife has always been a runner. I’ve always been the couch potato. And we are both getting older. So her knees are starting to give her problems from all the running.

So I go and buy her a nice road bike. She likes it but wants me to get one to ride with her. Me? The couch potato? We did exactly this same thing 20 years ago and I quit riding really soon after we bought them.

So I’m looking online and see these e-bikes for the first time. Interesting. Never heard of them before. So since Yamaha didn’t have any dealers in the USA at the time I go with the Trek. It was very pricey but I thought I was only buying one.

So now we go on rides together and it’s good. I’m getting a bit of a workout but an e-bike riding with someone on a regular bike is not really pushing yourself much. So I start sneaking off and taking fast rides by myself. Now that’s fun and it’s real exercise for a couch potato like me. I’m getting my heart racing and I’m feeling the burn.

So... now guess who needs an e-bike too. She wants to go fast too. So I have to get the matching one for her.

Got to keep them happy. But I have pretty much quit riding my motorcycles after 48 years of riding and spending tons of money every year on that hobby. So one expensive toy turns into another.

16. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

Nah, they still embrace the grind. It's cheating to them. Their non-riding SO's might though. Like above.

Yeah... I suspect that is an issue now. I'd guess all KOM's are suspect at this point. It would be so easy to go take all my local KOM's on this thing, but I won't.

I went and disconnected my Strava once I got off the human powered bikes. No reason to bother anyone. I'm just out for fun now.

17. Tony Foran

I think you can do better than that.

https://www.crazylennysebikes.com/demo-electric-bikes/

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  18. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

I have one - mine's a tank! Weighs a ton and doesn't go very fast (some of you guys can do 28mph? Bloody hell, I'd be amazed if mine does 15!) but it's still by far the easiest way to get into work in a very congested city.

I used to really enjoy cycling but had to stop in my early 30s due to a chronic fatigue illness, but I bought an electric on a whim a few years ago and it's been great - it's not effortless like a motor bike so I feel like I get a little exercise and I get fresh air and sunshine instead of being stuck on a bus.

We don't have showers at work and there's only a unisex bathroom that I used to feel bit uncomfortable scrubbing up over the sink and changing when I cycled back in the day, but the E bike also has the advantage that I don't end up drenched in sweat after a half hour ride, so it's a great commuter thing for that reason as well.

Hush, T92780 and Tony Foran like this.
  19. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

I would have tucked in and drafted behind you!

T92780 likes this.
  20. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

I worked for a European manufacturer of e-bikes, road and mountain. Very cool, wish I would've picked one up at employee discount when I could've... errr.. they're expensive. Glad you're enjoying them together! Specialized is a popular brand, you did good.