Bought an interesting Bassman.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by alivegy, Feb 17, 2008.

1. alivegy

alivegy Member

So I just bought what I'm pretty sure is a 65 Fender Bassman. The date code is OD, the front plate says Fender Electric Instruments, the backplate and tube chart say Fender Musical Instruments. One transformer is from 64, the other from 65 and stamped Fender. Sure sounds damn good and is labeled with the AA165 circuit although I haven't had a chance to go over it yet and some of the caps have been changed. I'll take some pics later, but I'm going to get back to getting her dialed in for now!

2. bigroy

bigroy Member

My first new amp was a '65 Bassman! Enjoy!!

3. 67super

67super Supporting Member

I've got a 65 I really like. It was labeled AA165 but actually is a AB165. This is very common because they only made AA165 for a few weeks but kept using all the stickers they made. Mine has been reterned to the AA165 power section layout. If it's an actual AA165 that is very cool indeed.

4. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Let us know if you confirm the circuit to be an AA165, that would be really cool indeed.

5. vibroverbus

vibroverbus Member

Rock on, my Blonde Piggyback is one of my personal treasures... a 'brownface' as opposed to your BF, but nonetheless these are great amps, and still semi-affordable vs. others...

Very common in transition periods for any kind of Fender to have mix-matched parts and/or circuits. Plenty of stories of how they'd have bins of parts and during a switch, people would be pulling some of the old parts/assemblies, and some of the new ones...

6. alivegy

alivegy Member

I just noticed, 35 posts and you guys already have me buying a new amp. I'm in trouble. What's the easiest way to figure out if it's aa165 as opposed to ab165?

7. 67super

67super Supporting Member