Bought guitar on eBay. Not bonding with it.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by blandon, Mar 14, 2020.

1. dirtyguitar

dirtyguitar Supporting Member

unless your purchasing glue or sex games (which hopefully are separate)

FiestaRed likes this.
  2. InkStained

InkStained Member

People here are so precious about their instruments.

"Feelings" are like the weather. They change. If there's truly nothing wrong with the guitar, play it and see where it takes you.

It's a musical instrument, not your soul mate.

3. Eugene Wallace

Eugene Wallace Member

I doubt the new owner will post images.
    And I doubt he will publish specific tonal problems / issues.
    It won't help the current owner if the original seller receives a message pointing out this thread from someone here.
    Going back onto the market, a seller doesn't need the negativity.
    grubby.

4. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

Stick with it for a while, and if you still don't like it, sell it and hope you'll break even.

"Not bonding" is no reason to return it. If I were the seller, I'd tell you to take a hike. No returns. Same with buyer's remorse. That's not the seller's fault. I speak from experience; I had some guy try and return a guitar for the same reason as you.

5. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Supporting Member

It's the buyers guitar to do whatever he wishes with it. If he wants to send it back to the seller, he can give it to the seller as a gift. Ebay doesn't allow returns for things someone changes their mind about for one reason or other. I can just imagine how many people who overbid on things in a bidding war may change their minds when they cool off, but the sale is final.

6. daacrusher2001

daacrusher2001 Silver Supporting Member

Did it have a "no bonding" clause...ya gotta be kidding...didn't bond with it...LOL, it's a freakin' piece of wood, not a person (or even a dog).

OMG...!

Moody Tuner and ultraguy like this.
  7. Brian N

Brian N Member

If the seller offers returns, go ahead and return it. That's why some sellers offer returns; they get to potentially make a faster sale and you get to mitigate the risk of being stuck with a guitar you don't like. You'll likely just have to pay for shipping. If they weren't ok with getting returns they wouldn't have offered returns - if a guitar arrives in an undescribed condition, that's already covered under a different policy. Returns is above and beyond that.

8. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

I must remember to avoid selling on eBay.

My skewed perspective may be informed due to my parents (born circa mid-1920s).

9. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Supporting Member

Someone once bought over $1,000. worth of movies from me on Ebay. All separate purchases. He asked if he could return them after he got them. I had to say no. Only if they arent as described. So he opens a not as described case for each movie. Ebay still made me go through hoops but eventually they returned the money to me. I wouldn't want to deal with people like that.

10. jb4674

jb4674 Member

You need to post pics of the guitar and how much you paid for it.

11. Fitzer

Fitzer Supporting Member

What a complete and utter nightmare. This is a hardcore worst case scenario and an extreme example that shouldn’t deter people from using these platforms as sellers. That being said, the huge red flag for me would’ve been someone making separate transactions for a thousand dollars worth of... movies. Lol. Glad it worked out for you in the end.

12. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

Hiding from Murder Hornets in Atlanta, GA
    I think people go out of their way to cook up excuses for why they suck. "This guitar sucks". Maybe YOU suck! :oops: Eddie could make it work. :wave

13. easyed

easyed Silver Supporting Member

I bought a Korean-made Les Paul copy and couldn't bond with it - even after a setup. I bought a set of "Texas-flavored" pickups for it and it was great, but then a bought another HH solid-body guitar that I liked better. I sold the copy at a loss (the price of the new pickups) just to have space for my collection.

"Not bonding" is a lame excuse for trying to return a guitar, amp, or other instrument. If you're buying from a big box retailer with a "return for any reason" then it's OK, but with a private seller, it's your decision to try and fix the issue or sell the instrument to someone who might bond with it or just resell it is and chalk it up to experience.

14. fendergeek

fendergeek Member

I’ll buy it from you, I just hope I can bond with it. If not I’ll return it or sell it for a hundred bucks more. Oh, BTW, what kind of guitar is it?

15. Caretaker

Caretaker Gold Supporting Member

Sell it here, or trade it.

16. kafka

kafka Supporting Member

No, by all means, return it. Just explain to the seller that you're picking up some bad juju off it, and you can't have it around. If he's cool, he'll understand. If he's not, then he deserves to go through the hassle.

What could possibly be wrong with that?

But definitely don't sell it for more than you paid for it. That would be morally wrong. It would be, like, he could have made that $100, and he didn't, and you just, like, took it from him. And plus, driving up the market, and making everything more expensive for everyone. It just smacks of greed and selfishness.

Moreover, what do you do if they send it back to you? You'd still end up sending it back to the first guy, but then you'd have to explain that two people didn't like it, and that might hurt his feelings, because as you said, it's a nice guitar, and it's like you're criticizing him.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    markophonic and Ranster44 like this.
  17. Twin

Twin Supporting Member

I mean really, resell it.

18. Ranster44

Ranster44 Member

Burn it. Don't sell someone else a problem...

19. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Silver Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    Beat me to it. That one made me say WTF? out loud.

*Edit. Wait, that “bad juju” one just gave it some competition.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  20. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Silver Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    The good thing is, because of the volume of cases he opened at that one time, that buyer can longer open cases against sellers, and isn’t protected by EBay “buyer protection,” He may have gotten his money back, but he screwed himself going forward.