Bought guitar on eBay. Not bonding with it.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by blandon, Mar 14, 2020.

1. SmartAlex

SmartAlex Member

Listen, I hear all of you. I would not want someone to return a guitar I sold to a buyer but it has happened if the seller offered returns (if no returns, then it’s his guitar and can sell it for whatever he wants). I’d be apologetic and offer to cover any fees (and of course shipping) to make sure the seller is not a cent out of pocket.

My point of view was speaking to the current economic situation as a result of covid-19.

And, no, I don’t give anyone a hard time at guitar stores. I love my local Sam Ash and give them as much business as I give online retailers.

Thanks, and good luck all.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  2. jrjones

jrjones Member

List it if you don’t like it. I bought a suhr this time last year and had it listed within days of getting it.

3. RicOkc

RicOkc Member

That's the main reason why I won't buy an instrument without playing it first.

flysky578 and deepcove17 like this.
  4. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Silver Supporting Member

Really
    You would return it to a private seller because you didn't bond
    Do you see a problem here.

You bought it and yes sell it for what ever price you want
    Make your ask way more and tell them no returns

5. Eugene Wallace

Eugene Wallace Member

its an interesting situation morally
    the guy can do what he likes.
    however

# if he returns it, he may be causing trouble for the seller, the seller may have spent the money, the seller may think it's not his property anymore, the seller may be highly annoyed, the seller may be upset that he did not misrepresent the guitar, yet he has to pay refund.
    # if he decides to re-sell without disclosure ( if the guitar is a dog, it will always be a dog tonally speaking. Some guitars sound so bad, subjectivity simply does not apply, the instrument is simply not 'musical '). this can be seen as passing on problems to people, not nice, bad ju-ju may follow an action like this.
    #if he destroys the guitar, not simply throw it away, this ensures no-one else can get the problem. Highly advisable.
    This is not what the toilet paper hoarders would do, this is the opposite of what the toilet paper hoarders would do. The toilet paper hoarders would put a prs sticker and pass it off as ex-Carlos Santana.
    # the possibility cannot be discounted that the original seller knew it was a dog, if it indeed is a dog.

This is a good story for people to read and learn about buying guitars unseen/unheard.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  6. sunking101

sunking101 Member

Is there such a thing as a toilet roll hoarder?
    Maybe everyone just bought twice as much as usual given the situation we're in. I wouldn't like to be (potentially) holed up at home for up to 16 weeks with no toilet paper...

7. gigsup

gigsup Supporting Member

I love my local Walmart and give them as much business as I give online retailers.
    FTFY

8. SmartAlex

SmartAlex Member

I’ve been to Walmart 3x in my life, and it’s a giant corporation vs. a smaller, family owned brand. Thanks for your humor fail.

9. gigsup

gigsup Supporting Member

Please listen closely as our menu items have changed.

10. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Supporting Member

Okay, but your reasoning is why the OP shouldn't have bought the guitar in the first place.

It's also implied in your statement that the seller's economic circumstance should not be considered in this transaction. But unless the seller is a soulless ebay bot, he/she may be needing the money for the exact same reasons.

Jerrod likes this.
  11. aynirar27

aynirar27 Notable Member Gold Supporting Member

Please don’t return it

12. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Buy from GC or SA if you want a return policy based off connecting with the guitar. Take the hit and sell it... it’s not the seller’s fault.

13. aynirar27

aynirar27 Notable Member Gold Supporting Member

kind of like Sam Ash is to a family owned guitar shop......

Cliffhydro likes this.
  14. jackson

jackson Member

What do you mean by 'bonding'? Is there something wrong with the guitar?

15. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

I agree, absurd. Take the loss and move on.

16. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Supporting Member

He should be able to return a guitar he's not bonding with because of the coronavirus?

17. stonem

stonem Member

Buyers like the OP are the reason I rarely sell online anymore. I used to buy guitars to try and if I didn't t like em I could just throw back on Ebay and get all or most of my money back. I live in the sticks so this is about the only way I could try alot of high end stuff. I've bought hundreds of guitars, never returned one to a private seller. Now because of people like this it's too much of a risk.

I've flat had people ask to return a guitar cause they weren't "bonding with it" (it's not a puppy for God's sake) and when I refused they open an item not as described case.

OP and all like him, thanks for ruining ebay and reverb for honest people.

18. SmartAlex

SmartAlex Member

I give up with all of you, a reason for a return doesn't matter only if a return is allowed by the seller. If not, AS I SAID, he has to resell. This is my opinion only FFS and I thought I expressed it well with my last post. The OP hasn't weighed in at all so I'm tapping out. Good luck with all your bickering about shite that I really don't care about in the big picture of what we're about to face as a society

19. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Supporting Member

I just asked a question. One question, to understand your position better.

20. spiral

spiral Member

I would resell it, taking a loss if I had to. You took a chance and it didn't work out, but that's the price of buying online. I call it "tuition": you learned something and didn't have to spend the time driving around to find it / try it. If you can break even or make a few dollars, so much the better. I try to find really good deals knowing I may not keep it so I'll break even and not put the burden of my choosiness on the seller.