Bought guitar on eBay. Not bonding with it.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by blandon, Mar 14, 2020.

1. GT100

GT100 Member

This is why I wouldn’t buy a guitar without playing and inspecting it first.
    Sure if you buy online you may save a few $$ -but that’s it.
    I’d rather pay a bit more and have access to trying the guitars out first than saving a bit and get what I get.

Lloyd

2. Coiled

Coiled Member

I hear you and understand many don’t live in places where local sales are easy, totally understood. I guess I might consider a online purchase from someone here on this forum, but I’ve have had really good luck locally. My taste in guitars (Strats, Teles, etc...) makes it easy to find them locally.

And for now, it seems tax isn’t an issue with a local private sale/trade. This can save a lot of money on expensive gear.

Yamaha 1421 likes this.
  3. sixstring531

sixstring531 Supporting Member

Return it? Unless the seller's store specifically states you can return it because "you don't like it" I would say just try and resell it. Also, thanks for posting so I know to be cautious if you ever pm me regarding something I have for sale.

4. WoodenDuckMaker

WoodenDuckMaker Member

If its a business, that does high volume, I wouldn't feel bad about returning it. If its an individual selling their own personal guitar, I would try to resell it.

5. pickslide

pickslide Supporting Member

If the guitar is as the seller listed and you just dont care for it the honus is on you to sell it, not return it. I would never take an item back just because the buyer doesnt love it.

Its all part of the GAS game I guess. Hope you find something you love.

6. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    I've bought guitars and amps on ebay that I was disappointed with. It was up to me to do the research and decide if I wanted to buy the item or not.

It's not the seller's responsibility to make sure you are going to 'bond' with your guitar. As long as an item isn't defective or had hidden flaws, it's yours now and you can resell it and move on to something that you hopefully like. It sounds like you should try some guitars out at local shops to see in person if you bond with them before putting up the cash to buy one. :dunno

Jabberwocky and stonem like this.
  7. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

That last line eludes so many people. They feel their money is just on loan after a sale until they really really want to keep what they bought. I side with sellers 99% of the time, in almost all cases. Changing your mind after using something isn’t a sellers problem.

stonem, Jabberwocky and cutaway like this.
  8. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Supporting Member

I live in Maine. Not much around here either, so I drive. Hours most times, make it a day trip. Bought my 61 strat in Boston, and an SVL in western Mass, almost in NY. Tried a 63 strat about 4 hours away. Great guitars aren't hard to find. I don't want to buy a turd. I'll wait and find one close enough, or I'll just make a plan to make a day of it.

9. Balance

Balance Member

You’re catching some grief that I don’t think you deserve. It seems like you read the original question as “is it better to return a guitar or try to resell it?”

Almost everyone else read the question as “is it cool to return a guitar to a private seller that was accurately described just because I don’t like it.” From what I can see, your answer to the second question is the same as everyone else’s.

10. bigfoamfinger

bigfoamfinger Supporting Member

7 pages for this? There are only so many ways to say

“no, you shouldn’t return a guitar just because you don’t like it”

or

“this is why you should play a guitar before you buy it”

or

“this is why I don’t buy guitars online”

11. SmartAlex

SmartAlex Member

Thank you for acknowledging it, I really appreciate it. The way the world is going now, all of this doesn’t really matter anyway. Please stay safe, and take good care.

cutaway likes this.