Bought my Daughter a Microscope

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by GAD, Mar 17, 2015.

1. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

My daughter, who just turned 14, asked for a microscope for her birthday. I love science, and always try to foster any love of science or the arts, so my wife and I agreed to get her one. I did some research and settled on this one, which was $200 on Amazon. It was cheaper on eBay, but I wanted the ability to return it through Prime.

[​IMG]

Why am I going on about this? Because I am FLOORED at the quality of this thing! I am a fan of good optics, being a photographer and astronomer of the serious hobbyist variety. I was floored by the bright clear image. We could hold an iPhone up to the eyepiece and take stunning images.

Having a history with optics, I figured that the 100x objective would be mostly useless, so I got her a 2x objective to replace it, and sure enough, that's what she's used the most looking at things like coins and bills.

I am kind of reminded of the current state of import guitars. There are some amazing import instruments out there these days.

The two of us spent hours looking at very small things, bonding over science. It was so cool.

She's already got a list of things she needs for her newfound career. :)

2. aynirar27

aynirar27 All You Need Is Rock and Roll Gold Supporting Member

that's great! My wife turned her interest in microscopes to a pretty great career.

3. ThePenwellCrash

ThePenwellCrash Supporting Member

That is amazing! It would be worth a small investment in slides and a little time on YouTube to learn how to use the 100x objective to view hanging drop slides of live organisms from pond water. That whole world of living moving microbes just fuels scientific exploration!

4. H. Mac

H. Mac Member

An excellent gift!

5. mattamatta

mattamatta Member

Man, a good stereo microscope is a thing of beauty.

Of course, I don't use the slide type like that much, but I use one on a boom quite often for soldering/inspection/etc of electronics. It's almost like cheatin when you can work on things at that kind of magnification with the right tools.

Everything looks so different blown up big, like a different world.

6. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

Well done You. For some AMAZINGLY obtuse reason, my parents refused to buy me a Science Kit when I was about 12 or 13 because it had chemicals and stuff in it. I think they were terrified that I would poison myself with it or something. It came with a microscope, which was the object I really wanted.

I've never forgotten that fact to this day.

Now my sons are the same age, I am waiting for one of them to ask me for a science kit so I can go out and buy them TWO, as payback against my parents. :) However they have never even picked up a single hint that I want them to ask! :D

My younger son did ask for a telescope the other day though, which I am going to have to research and get. I wanted one of THOSE as a kid too!... :roll

7. mattball826

mattball826 Member

cool!

at least with that type of observing there is no cloud cover to ruin their viewing

8. jape

jape Member

A very cool & unique gift!

9. Seth L

Seth L Silver Supporting Member

Excellent gift.

10. DK207

DK207 Member

That looks great. My 4 yr old daughter and I were just talking about microscopes yesterday because I have my grandfather's antique microscope in the house and she is quite interested in looking at wee beasties. Let me know how you like that one, she now wants her own!

11. pukko

pukko Member

12. spamassassain

spamassassain Member

Very cool! Always wanted a good one. We have some Leicas at work and I constantly covet them and hope for the day when one of them gets "retired and auctioned to the employees..." will probably never happen.

I did get the science kit with all the chemicals when I was a kid and used it constantly - particularly the microscope. It wasn't great quality but it was something!

So this looks like a viable option - definitely looking into it. My daughter is 12 and would probably love something like this.

13. figgy

figgy Member

14. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

good for you and your daughter. Glad to see a kid looking into a microscope rather than at their phone screen for a change

15. cander328

cander328 Member

Love to see girls interested in science!! My wife speaks at several events a year to promote this cause and just recently was the keynote for the Girl Scouts of Eastern MA STEM Conference and Expo. She is a surgeon and also writes children's books where the main character is a spunky female 9yo girl surgeon who knows no limits to what she is capable of doing.

www.drdeedeedynamo.com
    www.droneeka.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Jason Calieri

Jason Calieri Silver Supporting Member

Awesome! When I was a kid my grandmother let me borrow a decent one from the dental school where she worked, and I loved it.

The one you bought looks great. It's got me tempted to grab it for myself!

17. Madsen

Madsen Member

i was looking at USB Microscopes a while back to do some youtube quality music videos. i'm guessing the quality in lenses, magnification & video conversion is huge as you move up thru the price points?
    http://www.amazon.com/USB-Microscopes/b?ie=UTF8&node=2742273011

18. pukko

pukko Member

I really don't know. I've only used the one I have at work and the picture quality isn't fantastic. That doesn't really matter though, kids are fascinated by it anyway. I mean, just by using it on yourself, looking closely at your hair, teeth, in your nose, seeing pores in your skin... Bring the laptop with you outside, look at flowers, stones, bugs...

19. Madsen

Madsen Member

my friends kid has this one & seems to enjoy looking at that kind of thing with it.
    [​IMG]

20. zombieStrat

zombieStrat Member

If she enjoys imaging materials (rather than things which are living), modern experimental methods in physics are extremely interesting. With scanning tunneling microscopes, folks are able to image surfaces of materials on the sub nanometer scale. They're able to look at single atomic defects and structures and they're even able to manipulate them. Rather than using your visible-light microscope (which sounds awesome!), modern labs are equipped with x-ray, electron, and neutron scattering techniques. Beyond imaging, we're also using magnetic resonance and photoemission to study lots of interesting new materials. We're entering what could be a new age of manipulating fundamental degrees of freedom other than charge to transmit information. This could revolutionize technology across the board and we're going to need bright folks like your daughter to help design, grow and characterize these new devices.

If you find any of these coarse articles on wikipedia interesting, PM me and I might be able to dig up something deeper but still accessible.

I hope you two have a lot of fun.