Bought my first pedal today!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by pattste, Jun 23, 2008.

1. pattste

pattste Member

I hope it's not a slippery slope ... :worried

I play clean the vast majority of the time. Ever since I bought my Fender amp, I've been very pleased with my clean sound but more and more I find myself wanting to play music that would benefit from a good low-gain overdrive sound. Unfortunately, the Hot Rod Deluxe's dirty channel is widely known as one of the worst in the tube amp world. With very low-gain it was usable but certainly not satisfying.

So I was in Ottawa today and went to my favorite store, Lauzon. I did a mini shootout with the Robert Keeley-modded Boss BD-2 Blues Driver, Fulltone OCD and Xotic AC. As could be expected, all three pedals were quite nice, just different. The Fulltone OCD sounded great but it was too much gain for me. The Xotic AC was very flexible but I thought it always colored the sound too much for my taste. The Keeley Blues Driver was the best choice for me. It was the most transparent and was the sound that I was looking for. Unfortunately, I didn't have a stock BD-2 to compare with but considering all the great reviews that Keeley pedals get I decided to buy it.

Hopefully I won't end up with a dozen pedals and a monster board by Christmas.

2. hurleysurf

hurleysurf Member

Probably the most versatile box out there. Clean boost to light fuzz. Very very nice first choice.

3. gururyan

gururyan Member

My first was a Keeley mod'd pedal too, I sent him my Vox V847 to do his magic on. That was many, many years ago.

...if it weren't for these blasted pedals, I'd have a 32 ft. sailboat on the lake by now.

4. Randaddy

Randaddy Member

Great shootout Pattste.

It's funny that you tried those pedals... they are three great choices. I have recently (in the last week) bought two of those to compare, a BD-2 modified by Analogman and the OCD by Fulltone.

I've gone back and forth on which to keep! They both are wonderful. I'm starting to lean toward the BD-2 for low gain. But then I raised the gain on the OCD and it is so good that I might keep it for higher gain even though I didn't think I needed higher gain!

Yes, this is a slippery slope. :eek:

5. mild

mild Member

Slippery Slope??? Buddy, you're SCREWED! :D

6. dahn8

dahn8 Member

Yeah. Leave while you can!!! your wallet will thank you later :D

Seriously, congrats though :) its a great pedal (as others have mentioned).

7. J.T. Guitar

J.T. Guitar Platinum Member Silver Supporting Member

You drank the Kool-Aid brother... you're done for! :drink

Seriously, the BD-2 is good, Keeley makes it better... Congrats!

8. improv4

improv4 Member

Congrats! Great 1st pedal. I play often through a Hot Rod Deluxe; the clean chanel w/ a pedal does work well. Good luck on your quest for tone!

9. shecfr

shecfr Supporting Member

You should have never walked into that music store.....it's like smoking a cigarette-you think you can stop....next thing your smoking 4 packs a day....

10. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

Sounds like a very sensible start! Be careful: I had the same two pedals (green Big Muff Pi and a tuner) for about six years before I started sniffing around. Now I own 7 or 8 fuzz pedals (I really only need 2, maybe), have probably flipped a dozen more fuzzes within the last year, and have at least half-a-dozen miscellaneous pedals waiting around, just in case, etc... It's not crystal meth, but it is an addiction!

:phones

11. GuiltySpark

GuiltySpark Supporting Member

Yip, my very first pedal was a Keeley Blues Driver. Very nice choice! Now, only if I stopped there...

12. iowa

iowa Supporting Member

Congrats on a nice pedal. My first was a Boss RV-3 reverb/delay I picked up about 6 months ago. It was all I needed. I used it for a couple of months and then figured I needed an overdrive pedal. My current chain is now Electronix lessDRIVE fuzz > Bad Monkey > RV-3 > Korg DT-10 tuner > EHX Switchblade. I'm on the list for a Tim, and that's all I need........ except for a compressor....and maybe a wah....and a phaser...and a chorus.......and a .....

13. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

Congrats, nice first choice

14. peacebone

peacebone Member

Any relation to the guitar player from Nero?

15. pitner

pitner Member

I have a Keeley modded BD and use it alot. Don't worry about excess unless your buying pedals and not feeding your kids.

16. giggedy

giggedy Member

I hope it's not a slippery slope he says, ha!

He's posting it here (gear page) first of all, and his first pedal is a keeley mod. Yes, that's a very slippery slope. In fact, there's no slope, you're free falling.

And nice choice, I love those things!

17. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

Just tell yourslef that an OD, a high gainer, a delay, and a wah are all you're likely to want/need.
    Then say it over and over again.

18. wooldl

wooldl Member

And so it begins.......................:drink

19. J.T. Guitar

J.T. Guitar Platinum Member Silver Supporting Member

Hey Pat... A heavier OD would match up well with that BD-2.

:hide :roll

20. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

First of all, welcome! And yes, I believe you may begin to slide after awhile, like perhaps a delay pedal. The Keeley BD2 is a great pedal though, and I am sure you will enjoy it for years to come. :)