1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

bought Nova System and Carl Martin Rock Bug

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by GibsonLives, May 24, 2011.

1. GibsonLives

GibsonLives Supporting Member

Pulled the trigger last night, both should be here later this week. Wondering if anyone would like to share their positive/negative thoughts on either of these, and especially if you've used both together. Thanks.
    Steve

2. mwc2112

mwc2112 Supporting Member

I have used both. They are very good, actually. I wasn't overly crazy about the Nova System drives, but that's just a taste thing... lots of folks like them. The effects were outstanding. The Rock Bug is a neat idea. Just a flat, super-clean sound with cab sim that makes a great pedal platform. I was never crazy about the sound on its own, though... a bit sterile, but if you stick an EQ pedal in front of it and tailor to your guitar you can get some great tones. But using it as a pedal base is where it really shines.

3. B Money

B Money Member

I've had a Nova System for several months now, transitioned from a G Major rack unit. The Nova sounds great, just as good if not better than the G Major did. I haven't even tried the drives since I rely on my amps for distortion, but the delays and modulation effects are as good as I'll ever need. The pitch shifter isn't phenominal, but I rarely use that anyway.
    TC recently put issued an update for the firmware, be sure you upgrade yours to get the latest features. They added a killdry function, and also increased the range of the tuner. Also, you can now disable the blinking tempo light if you find distracting.

4. rsm

rsm Member

Very happy with my Nova System. I had one, sold it for the M9. I used the M9 for around 9 months and finally sold it to get another Nova System. The NS works better for me. My main OD/Dist are the Nova Drive, and the NS has a similar OD/Dist circuit.

FWIW, thanks to the NS, I also have a G-System.

For the NS, the trick is setting your input and output levels correctly, and reviewing all the global / default settings. If you purchased yours new, you may want to check out the user presets to see if anything is useful, and back it up / write it down. Before you tweak, I recommend a factory reset, then checking all the global settings to be sure it is configured properly for your intended use. Each guitar you use may require input/output level adjustments. Again, setting the levels is a key step.

I recommend getting on the TCE users forum and have a quick look at the topics. The manual isn't very clear at times, and important information is not highlighted, making it easy to miss. I always have the manual handy for any major tweaking.

5. danel59

danel59 Member

I have had the Rock Bug for a year or so and I find it to be a great tool. On its own, not a lot to talk about but add pedals or even a preamp and the speaker sim works quite well and adds some weight to the tone so to speak.
    I use mine with an Ethos sometimes and am up in the air as far as which I like better as far as speaker sims. The Ethos has a great speaker sim already but the Rock Bug does add a different colour I guess would be my best description
    and it does have some dynamics with it but then again so does the Ethos. All in all as mentioned a great tool and backup to have.

Haven't tried the NS but I did just pick up the Flashback Delay and am looking
    at the Hall of Fame, I believe these use similar programs as on the NS.

Dan

6. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

I have been using the TC Electronic Nova System for quite sometime now and I really dig the ease of use and great sounds!
    My setup is: Guitar>Lectrosonic IS 400R wireless system>VHT Valvulator tube preamp/power>'69 Vox King Wah>Gig Rig 2 Loop input>TC Nova Systen in Gig Rig loop 1 send/return>Zen Drive in Gig Rig loop 2 send/return>Gig Rig output to Boss FV-500 input>Boss FV-500 output to Custom Breakout box>Klon Centaur> Framtone ABY Switcher> to Bogner Shiva EL-34 and Suhr CAA PT-100 >to (2) Demeter Iso cabs mic with Sennheiser 906e mics.

This set up allows me to tru-bypass the TC Nova System which is controlled with a TC -G switch to change programs. Also the Zen Drive is by-passed and activated by the Gig Rig looper.
    This gives me the ability to have the purest signal path and at any time bring in the other effects. It works perfect for me...

7. journo

journo Member

Hi,

I'm very interested in hearing your views on the RockBug.

Cheers,

Mats N

8. VaiSatchAtrucci

VaiSatchAtrucci Member

LOVE the Nova System. I had a G-System (and G-Major previous to that) which I sold as I never pulled that pedalboard out again once I bought the Nova. With that said, the G-System is incredible, and much more flexible midi wise when controlling a modeler or anything really, but the Nova is incredible and holds its own FX wise and the fidelity is outstanding and very transparent. Before my modeler I used the drives on the Nova and absolutely loved them (STILL DO!) and in fact was single most motivating factor in my decision to purchase it on the spot.

The ONLY downside is I paid about $200 more than you can get a used one for now... LMAO... Like nobody has ever experienced that right? ;) Patience is definitely a virtue. :)

You'll love it.

9. Veritas

Veritas Silver Supporting Member

The Nova System rocks. The effects are outstanding. I've never spend a heap of time with the drives, as the effects were the reason behind the purchase. Once you get around how to make settings changes, etc, the thing is really a breeze. I really dig it.

10. GibsonLives

Thanks, guys. My Nova came today, but after my busy day I couldn't get around to it until late this evening, and since the Rock Bug isn't here yet, I couldn't do much with it into an amp. But I read the manual lol.

I'll be running it either through the Rock Bug or into the front end of my SFPR (hope the lil guy can handle it). Basically, if it impresses me through the 'Bug, and is at least useable at lower volumes through the SFPR, it's a keeper...might even inspire me to get a bigger second amp to run it through, who knows?

B Money, just curious, why don't you like the pitch effects? Obviously, I'll make my own assessment, but do you find it doesn't track well, sounds sterile, or someething else?

PSA: Got my Nova through American Musical Supply new for $393; not sure why it's $100 cheaper than MF/GC, but it is, and I jumped.

So, I'll let everyone know my thoughts once it's actually plugged in instead of sitting in its box teasing me lol.

Steve

11. B Money

B Money Member

to my ear, the pitch shifting effects sound a little harsh and 'warbly' on the lower notes. Maybe it's just me, and to be honest I don't use it very much so I havent spent a lot of time trying to dial it in.

12. Gary Brennan

Gary Brennan Old cavorting member Gold Supporting Member

B Money,

I did not see any reference at TC's site to kill dry in the 1.13 update. Where do you get this feature?

GB

13. rsm

rsm Member

You can run the NS into an amp and use the drive section, or in the loop of an amp. Not sure why you need to wait for the Rock Bug?

I often use my NS in front of a clean tube amp. I think it would work in front of any clean amp?

14. GibsonLives

Okay, finally checked out the NS today; my initial thoughts below, but first....

RSM: I wasn't waiting for the Rock Bug; I was busy yesterday, and couldn't get around to messing with it until nightime, and I knew my impulse would be to crank it, since I find you can't get a completely accurate feel for something at low volumes, so I waited. Anyway, the Bug o' Rock arriveed today, but although it says RIGHT IN THE MANUAL that it runs on a 9-volt battery, there doesn't appear to be a place for a battery, so now, I have to go out and buy an adapter (sigh). Thus, no opinion as of yet on the Bug.

Okay, here's goes. Plugged the NS straight into the front end of my SFPR (which has no effects loops), and my impressions tend to coincide with what many others have said:

Overdrive is sweet; distortion, not so much

Delay and reverb appear quite useable

Mod effects are just okay; chorus makes some notes sound weird, almost mechanical (particularly around the seventhe/eighth fret of the high E)

Intelligent pitch is good IF your guitar is PRECISELY tuned; a bit off, and you'll get a minor instead of a major third, or vice versa

Overall, it sounds surprisingly good through my amp's little ten-inch speaker (it's a Weber replacement, which I'm sure helps

Runs fairly quietly, even without the gate...in fact, I haven't dug into the gate too much

Boost works very well, with lots of room for customization

I tried tap tempo a little bit, but it didn't really work for me; guess I need to learn more about how to set delay first to work with it

It's far from perfect, but for the $393 I paid new, it's a keeper. If I sent it back, I couldn't even get the Nova Drive and Flashback for that price, and who knows when I might have an amp without reverb, or want a noise gate or boost?

As mentioned, this is a first impression after only a couple hours of use, so I've still got many parameters left to explore

QUESTION: Anyone know how to achieve a chorus, flanage, or some other mod effect that doesn't have a modulation range? I'd like to create a sound that adds the glaze of a mod effect that's stuck in one place along its range instead of going through the range of the comb filter as your typical mod effect does. Thanks.

Well, that's about it for now. If anyone has any suggestions or advice for an NS newbie looking for shortcuts to cool tones, I'm all ears.

Steve

15. B Money

B Money Member

From my reading on the TC Electronics Nova forum, "killdry" is an option that can only be accessed using the editor software.
    http://forum.tcelectronic.com/viewtopic.php?id=8264

I haven't upgraded my Nova to v1.2 yet, and I also haven't downloaded the editor, I have no idea how it works or where to find it. Simply read about it existing on the forum.

16. danel59

danel59 Member

Hi Steve - You have to remove the back to put the battery in the RockBug
    just like most of the older effects from the 70's.

17. Puckman

Puckman Member

So, what's the scoop on the Rock Bug?
    I'm curious how well it's working for the OP, and how he's using it (headphones? monitors?)

18. wenbinbin2010

wenbinbin2010 Member

I mean...I'd sell you my Nova Drive and Nova Repeater for $250...but I really hope the Nova System keeps you happy and kills your GAS! (For a little bit)

19. GibsonLives

Sorry it took so long to respond. First off, thanks for the tip on the battery. It was funny; although the manual says nothing about changing batteries, where the compartment is, etc., it worked before I had a chance to plug in an adapter lol. Needless to say, I was (pleasantly) shocked.

I'm using the Rock Bug with headphones only, and at first, I wasn't impressed, but after tweaking the NS, it sounds MUCH better. Usually, processors tend to sound better through phones right out of the box, so this shift in things threw me, but ultimately, I decided both the Bug and NS were keepers.

The NS is pretty damn good overall. Far from perfect, and not nearly as versatile as many all-in-ones, but fun and with useable tones. Haven't gotten an expression pedal yet. Does adding one really bring out the full potential of the unit? I'm guessing it must, although I haven't yet checked out what features can be controlled in realtime. Also, while I suppose most any unit ought to work, does anyone have a particular expression pedal to recommend? Thanks again.
    Steve