Bought some new RFTs

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by PFCG, Feb 10, 2008.

1. PFCG

PFCG Member

Hey guys, i just bought some RFT 12AX7s for my Two Rock Custom Reverb Artist 100 from KCA NOS Tubes.

Mike was really nice and we spoke briefly on the phone. He helped me pick them out for the sound i was after. He wasn't trying to push me towards wicked expensive stuff, although i would have bought them if he suggested.
    It was good dealing with him.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with these tubes. I bought 2 of them for my V1 and V2. I got the balanced triode testing done for them.

Just wanna say thanks to mike at KCA and im hoping for good results!

2. trap

trap Supporting Member

a nice tube! a little dark sounding, but they breakup early with a pleasing sound. i use it in the v2 on my jet sometimes. really makes a difference in the od i find.

3. PFCG

PFCG Member

i dig the dark sound, theres always enough highs.

4. hamfist

hamfist Member

I love rft's. They never sound hugely dark to me, although I do tend to dislike any kind of high treble harshness or icepick, so my ear tends to go for that sort of sound anyway.
    I have an rft in V1 of the top boost channel of my AC30 - easily the best tube I've had in there so far (including Mullards).
    As always, YMMV, etc etc. Funny things tubes !

5. rockindog

rockindog Member

I got a few RFT ECC83s from KCA also. Great tube in Marshal style amps. I have 2 installed in my Germino Club 40 in V1 and V2. I just kick up the treble and presence to offset any tendency towards "dark" sounding. The RFTs have really good gain and tight solid mids and lows. One of the best NOS tubes out there IMO for the money.

6. PFCG

PFCG Member

thanks, im confident in the buy.

He said Telefunkens would be too clean for what im looking for, and the Mullards dont break up like the RFT's do.

Seemed like a good call for what im after. Thanks for the input guys.

7. PFCG

PFCG Member

Id like to post an update.

When i first got the tubes they worked great...

for about 15 minutes. I didnt get to play them very much because i was in and out all day yadda yadda long story short when i got to test them again, one was shot so i called up mike and he replaced it for me free of charge.

Id like to further laud mike for being such an upright businessman and i really like the tubes now that they are working and ive put a few hours on them. I get a great crunchy tone and they are just terrific. I will most certainly buy all my tubes from KCA from here on in. He sent them on friday and i got them today, even though im sure they probably came earlier. I offered to send the bad one back for him to check it out, but he didnt seem to really want it back. I feel bad that the one tube failed. Hopefully ill be back to get some stuff from him soon!

8. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Very cool of Mike! That says a lot. Glad your digging them. I wouldnt expect you will have much trouble from here on in. RFT's are pretty durable. Ive got about 30 of them used and they all work well. Bob

9. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

another plug for mike. He's a great guy to deal with.

10. recto-robbie

recto-robbie Member

I agree 100% about all thats been said good about Mike and KCA.

I also had some issues with some RFT'S recently purchased.
    I ordered about 6 on three different occasions, on my first order one of the tubes came with a very loose O ring getter straight out of the box and after only a few hours of playing went completely dead. I immediatly called Mike and he replaced it within 2 days.
    And recently I turned on my amp and no sound, wound up troubleshooting for a while and found a RFT in V1 which had a small crack in the glass at the bottom where the pins come out. Replaced it and problems went away. This tube also only had about 10 hours on it. Im not in the mood for bugging Mike again but I have bought different tubes from him and everything else has been perfect all around.

11. bizzwriter

bizzwriter Member

I had the same problem with a NOS RFT tube (NOT purchased from KCA). I've been using tube amps for 30+ years, and have NEVER had a problem with a preamp tube. Until I plugged in the RFT. Worked for a few minutes, then crapped out.