bought too many drive pedals - which would you keep?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by HughesP, Sep 16, 2019.

1. HughesP

HughesP Member

I had been fighting for quite a long time to find an overdrive that I liked. I don't like "collecting" gear, but I picked up a few over the past year, all at good used prices, and I've had the opportunity to gig them all in a variety of settings. I've sold a number too, but just ended up buying faster than I was selling...

After going through TOO many pedals, I found a few that were working fairly well, but then realized that it was my amp that I wasn't liking.

NOW, I have an amp I love (a 62 bassman) which takes pedals amazingly well - and all of a sudden ALL of the pedals I still have sound great. The thing is, I don't want a collection of overdrives - I really just need 1, and I'd like to free up some funds for some other gear purchases...

But I can't make up my mind. I play a wide variety of music - rock, blues, r&b, soul, neo-soul, jazz, hip-hop, country, p&w... And to be fair, I've gigged all of these pedals several times and could probably be happy with any one of them as my only drive pedal...

What would you keep (picking one or two at most)?

Prince of Tone
    Tubescreamer Mini
    Fulldrive II (pre-mosfet, pull for comp cut)
    Zendrive
    JHS Superbolt
    1981 DRV

oh, and FWIW - I'm also likely to come up on the list for a KoT within the next few weeks...

2. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

POT and Rat clone.

Telefunky, hippieboy, Emigre and 2 others like this.
  3. 2Plus2isChicken

2Plus2isChicken Member

If you are planning to order the KoT why not wait and see if you like it then decide? If you get it I would probably sell the Prince of Tone for sure. If you like the TubeScreamer sound keep the TS Mini. I don't know about the others. Personally I find that I don't need many plain overdrive pedals (TS, Klon, etc.) because they all do about the same job for me. If I have one on each pedalboard that's enough since all it normally gets used for is to boost the gain of a distortion pedal or amp that's after it. Therefore I could probably sell all but one of those and be happy.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  4. theRagman

theRagman Gold Supporting Member

I don't dig the tubescreamer sound, and I find Rat-esque pedals to be nice and versatile, so I'd probably keep the 1981 DRV.

5. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

First thing I'd think about is, how complicated is my settings-changes ritual on each individual pedal.
    I mean : going from one song to the next, or one genre to the next, how much do I have to twiddle ... on each individual drive.

If you're gigging, you don't want to be tweaking between each song. Even every 3rd or 4th song.
    Which pedal covers what you do in a set without you having to adjust it at all? Can you ride the Vol and Tone knobs on your guitar and get everything you need without tweeking between songs?
    If YES, then that's the one I'd keep.

cj_wattage likes this.
  6. HughesP

HughesP Member

I'd say the zendrive is probably the most dynamic and responds the most to the guitar knobs, with the PoT coming in just a bit behind. The zendrive has more available gain than the PoT.

The fulldrive II is also really great in functionality - being able to kick in extra gain without changing the basic tone makes it super versatile.

But honestly, I've done gigs with any of these as the only overdrive on my board, and I feel just fine without doing too much tweaking from song to song.

zenmindbeginner and lefort_1 like this.
  7. Johnny Fuzz

Johnny Fuzz Member

Prince of Tone
    Fulldrive II
    Zendrive

8. Matt Dillon

Matt Dillon Member

The title of your thread doesn’t make any sense-;)

Ok, in all seriousness, you are one guy who actually doesn’t have too many pedals. Six or seven OD pedals is not bad at all.
    But congrats on the KOT

9. fred_

fred_ Silver Supporting Member

Well, this is going to sound kinda stupid, maybe, but you could sell the ones which would potentially bring in the most cash (if you like them all about the same and you want the funds for other gear :dunno:hide)

songtalk, Telefunky, Andy S and 5 others like this.
  10. lefort_1

Maybe consider keeping one drive, and add a small mini-boost (or two) for different flavors.
    If you do need an extreme or two, consider a pedalboard that has a bit of 'storage space' in excess of your PSU's size, and keep a pedal or two down there set to the extremes... and access them via a small stomp-selector on top.
    It saves space, but gives that beyond-the-reach-tone extension that could allow you to keep a really sweet favorite AND those once-a-set tones.

I realize you're trying to pare down, but sometimes there are tones that can't be got with a middlin' single box.
    .... or maybe I'm thinking too much about the sounds I go after (from Birds of Fire Loud/clean through a range of OD including sputter stuff (where I use a Spiral Yellow) to edge-of-fuzz for Steve Hillage sounds.)

11. HughesP

HughesP Member

Just got thinking.. knowing I like them all, i could also think about used value and just keep the least expensive ones

Ranked highest to lowest it would be:

1981 DRV
    PoT
    Superbolt
    Fulldrive II
    Zendrive (black magic - bought in an SNS)
    TS Mini

By that ranking, I'd keep the Zendrive and TS mini, which would otherwise free up the most funds... not sure it's the best strategy, but it might be...

lcfparty35 and ChampReverb like this.
  12. HughesP

HughesP Member

Lol - I literally just put up a post saying that.. which might be my strategy.

lcfparty35 and fred_ like this.
  13. axdxm

axdxm Supporting Member

Sell em all and get a Kingsley Jester V2. I have found this pedal to be a perfect pairing with a Bassman (I have a 59RI), especially for the range of genres you listed. I have owned ALL of the pedals you have listed, btw.

AceBSpankin likes this.
  14. lefort_1

This is what the gigging musician/non-collector would/should do.
    Sell the POT, 1981 DRV and the pre-MOS Fulldrive II and get what you really want.
    You'd still have the TS, the Zendrive and the SuperBolt, which can cover acres of territory when stacked.
    - use the TS as a boost (kill the gain, alter the EQ a bit from neutral) and punch the Zen and SB squarely in the inputs.

fred_ likes this.
  15. HughesP

HughesP Member

That's actually why I want to pick just 1 overdrive - to leave room on my board for a selection of a boost and a couple of fuzz pedals.

I don't really love the sound of most overdrives stacked - much more interesting sounds are had stacking overdrives with boosts, fuzz, etc...

lefort_1 likes this.
  16. HughesP

HughesP Member

There's a big wait list for those, isn't there (I haven't actually checked). I'm okay signing up for a waitlist, but I also gig quite a bit, so I can't just "wait" for something - need to pick from my current stash.

Simon likes this.
  17. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

POT and Zendrive... Sell the rest and buy a MiaB. :D

kidmandude, Pick'n'strum and sanfi4u like this.
  18. lefort_1

Kinda sounds like you should build a Loop-selector with a additional stomp for a boost of 6, 12, 20 dB.
    You wouldn't want to force the fuzz to eat a boost on it's front end at all times.
    Or maybe two flavors of trebleboost with one rolled back so a strat could do the 'accentuated cleans' thing.
    So many possibilities...

I gotta go do some work.

19. eternally found

eternally found Supporting Member

I have owned or used all of them except the Zendrive. I currently still have a KOT, DRV, Fulldrive, and TS808. The FD2 and 808 are classics and both pedals I will never sell, but I gig the KOT and DRV. If I could only have one the rest of my life, it would, hands down, be the KOT. It’s a phenomenal pedal - I’ve yet to have a guitar or amp combo it didn’t jive with. If I were you, and I could only have one, it would be the POT/KOT. The close second would be the DRV. Depending on how much gain you need though, you may be able to get away with just the POT and FD2 (another match madness in heaven if you ask me!).

20. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

I’ve been through a ton of overdrives and the Superbolt just works really well and I keep coming back to it.

-bEn r.