Bought two amps, have to return one, can't decide...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ohreallynow, Mar 12, 2015.

1. ohreallynow

ohreallynow Member

I bought a Budda SD18 and a DRRI from one of the online stores, I have 45 days to return one of them as I can't keep both. I currently have a HRD that I plan on replacing. I thought one of the amps I bought would stand out immediately and I'd know which one to return but they are both great amps.

I play anything from hard rock (VH) to blues to some country so I'm really all over the board. I'm currently playing in a cover band that plays out once every month or so at small to medium sized clubs. My HRD has been plenty loud for those gigs so I need whichever amp I keep to have good stage volume (although we typically mic the amp through the pa as well). I've been running the HRD clean or with some moderate distortion and using an OCD for distortion.

Need some advice. Love the cleans on the DRRI but love the versatility and distortion on the Budda. What should I do (I can't keep both)?

2. shanesiegle

shanesiegle Supporting Member

To me you could do your whole gig with the Budda sans pedals. That to me plus one of the greatest drive channels ever makes it a clear choice. Having said that if you spend most of your time clean the Fender would be the one.

3. ohreallynow

ohreallynow Member

After playing both amps for the last few days, I'm leaning heavily toward the Budda. Love the cleans on the DRRI but man the Budda gets so many great, usable tones. Plus its loud enough that I can sell the HRD and pocket a few dollars in the process.

4. reade

reade Member

Versatility for the win.

5. yardbird mac

yardbird mac Member

Formerly a Colorado resident stuck in Ohio!
    I had a new BUDDA SD II-18 4 years ago. It sounded great all the way around. About 6 months into owning it (and one complete set of new tubes) one of the power tube sockets went bad. The store where I bought the BUDDA allowed me to return it for a full refund. I used the refund toward a new DRRI.

I wish I had just replaced the tube socket on the BUDDA and kept it instead of buying the DRRI.

If anything happens to my MESA Express 5:50s, I would definitely NOT hesitate to get another BUDDA Super Drive-II (possibly a 30 or even 45)!

6. David Garner

David Garner Member

Yeah the Budda fits your needs better.

7. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

My Budda SD45 will be buried with me! ...I do however have a vintage DR that no amps cleans can match.

8. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

I'll say this, these type of threads p' me off. Why would/should you care what we think.

You've got all 3 amps in your possession, playing them with your your style, how could anything we inject override what your personal 1 on 1 time with these amps have any meaning, we don't have your guitars, we don't have your needs, on a per room by room/gig need, how could anything we say have any real bearing. Quit being a TGP flunky/junky and use what works for you. Nothing we could say will have more meaning than your personal 1 on 1 experience. Keep/use what works for you. Quit worrying about what other people think/use.

9. BlueHeaven

BlueHeaven Member

Sheesh, someone's grouchy! At the risk of contributing to your TGP "flunky/junky" condition :D I say keep the Budda (I am biased however).

10. Classic09

Classic09 Member

Which amp did you keep?

11. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

Seriously?
    You have both of the amps, and you're asking us which one you like better? :bong
    Just use your ears.

12. Geetarman74

Geetarman74 Member

Have we really gone 10 replies without someone suggesting he sell both amps and buy a Mark V?!?!?!

That is very impressive. :)

13. Kyle B

Kyle B Supporting Member

First world problems .... ;)

14. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Can I pick the color for you?

15. MmcGrouty

MmcGrouty Silver Supporting Member

Nothing should be important to you if you aren't oppressed or starving.

16. demea26

demea26 Member

Budda SD all day