• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Bought your dream guitar and you couldn't be happier

raylinds

Silver Supporting Member
There was recently a thread about buying your dream guitar and being disappointed. A legit thread as it happens- sometimes our expectations are not realistic. I just bought my dream guitar that I couldn't be happier with and thought it would be nice to have a positive thread about it.

I bought a used 2005 Ibanez Jem 7V that is in mint condition for $2k. A really good price in this market. It arrived today and it feels and sounds amazing. I have big hands, and the neck is wide and feels perfect. I have third party Vai presets for Helix that sounded okay with my EVH Wolfgang, but sound absolutely perfect with the Jem. Like my father used to say- the right tool for the job.

Tell us about your positive dream guitar purchases.

Celticdave

Seeker
Platinum Supporting Member
Congrats on the Jem! Despite not knowing what to do with the extra frets and wammy bar, I've always thought it'd be cool to own one. :D

My first dream guitar was the Gibson CL-30 Deluxe I bought back in '02 while serving in Korea. I'd never seen one like it in person, contact the guy on eBay and let him know upfront I didn't have enough cash saved to buy it, but wanted to know more about it. After going back and forth for a few days, he asked me how much I had and then sold it to me for that. I was so grateful! That's the guitar in my avatar. I played it all over the world and on several recording sessions. It's now retired and with a friend of mine who begged me for it.

Fast forward and I recently acquired a Gibson AJ and a D-28 w/ Adirondack top. Both on my dream guitars list and I get excited just thinking about playing them. Tomorrow a McIlroy A30 is arriving and I hope that'll tick off another box on that list. I've been incredibly blessed over the years.

70 Mach 1

Silver Supporting Member
Passed one of these while waiting for the bus Every day going to HS.
Was in the window of the original SA in Brooklyn

Stopped in to play it on occasion

Was expensive for the day. Came down to it and an LP come Christmas time.

I chose the LP and kicked myself for 35 years.

Found this one from the original owner and it "was" virtually unplayed.

Sat in the original case since 1978 with very seldom use.

I paid well over top dollar for it.
$1650 but to me to end the search and have it almost new was a no Brainer.

came across a few over the years for $1100 to $1300 range but none were this clean and still original

I'm very happy now.

Fuelish1

Scored a ‘64 Harmony Silhouette H15 on eBay from a Nevada pawn shop at a good price, so much cheaper than fools on Reverb want for guitars in much worse condition… this is in most excellent condition, all original (case queen, am sure) I grew up learning and beating on one of these in the late ‘60’s/‘70’s/‘80’s….. this thing plays perfectly and takes me back to my reckless youth.

raylinds

Silver Supporting Member
A guitar is a guitar.
Thank you for enlightening us with your brilliant words of wisdom. "A guitar is a guitar." None of us would have ever suspected. Thank you for setting us straight that there is no difference whatsoever between one guitar and another. An acoustic sounds and plays exactly like an electric . A twelve string is exactly like a flamenco. They are all exactly the same.

Thank you for sharing your wisdom with us unworthy ones. We dared to dream of a utopia where humbuckers and single coils had a character of their own. Where a Floyd Rose allowed you to do things that a hardtail couldn't. But you, oh wise one, have shown us the error of our ways. He humbly seek your forgiveness and await further pearls of wisdom, though we are obviously unworthy.

om42

Wild Rose Country
Platinum Supporting Member
I have a few dream guitars. The one that speaks to me the most is my Collings 290. I was on the hunt for about 6 months and finally found one where the guy would ship it to Canada for a very reasonable price. It makes me smile every time I pick it up.

View media item 301445

Family Man

Silver Supporting Member
This ‘63 reissue 335 is the only guitar that’s exceeded expectations after owning it for a few years. I tend to build up guitars in my head and be let down by them. This one feels like it was made for me. It was also a major expense for me and I saved my “fun money” for a long time to buy it.

Yamaha 350

My Custom 77 I saw it online. Wanted it so bad. Boutique brand. Body and neck made in Korea on a CNC machine. Body and neck sent to France. They finished it buy a few workers in house. Did the guitars finish, neck, hardware, etcc.. And the machine heads hardly ever go out of tune even with a Bigsby.

They wanted a retro vibe. Crucianelli, Eko, Vox, Supro etc.. The clones of Gibson and Fenders they sell are cheap imports with a Mosrite style headstock. That is how I found them. Their own retro vibe guitars are the expensive models. I found a few threads on the brand here also.

I kept on showing the pictures here. I never thought I would find one. So I was going to get a Chapman guitar. But I found locally the Custom 77 for sale. 399. It goes for over 2000 dollars new. 2 differences than what I show you in the pictures. Mine is blue and not gold plated. And different pickups. The pictures I show is in HD by Custom themselves. Better pictures than I can take.

So mine has a few dings and a little white paint specks on the body. Missing 2 knobs. I replaced them. 1 master volume and 2 tone knobs. Neck through or looks just like a neck through? HepCat pickups hand wound in France.

So I got it cheaper than the Chapman. Gibson 1960's neck profile like on a SG. Retro look which I love. And a decent case. Nothing special. Still a great guitar.

Last edited:

Dave Locher

When I was 19 and had been playing a year or two I played a friend's Les Paul and discovered how much difference a really good guitar can make. I did some thinking and decided my dream guitar was an SG. Walked into a little shop near my house a few weeks later and he had a modded '62 Special in decent condition cheap. I bought it on the spot, loved that thing to death, and it was my #1 for years. Totally lived up to my expectations and really did bump my playing up to the next level.

noisebloom

I put together my dream guitar, my black Frankenstrat. I spec'd it exactly how I wanted it, with almost no compromises. The factory fret work leaves something to be desired, but that's fixable. Other than that, I wouldn't change a single thing. It is literally my dream guitar come true.

Valtyr

I managed to get my dream guitar several years ago (Gibson Les Paul). I enjoyed it for a few years but no longer have it because i found other guitars I like better.

nmiller

Drowning in lap steels
I played this 1958 Rickenbacker 335 at a vintage instrument dealer and couldn't stop thinking about it for months afterward. Eventually I arranged to trade them a carload of gear and throw in a small amount of cash. No regrets - I've made a number of recordings with it and it's still one of my best playing and sounding guitars.

Yamaha 350

I played this 1958 Rickenbacker 335 at a vintage instrument dealer and couldn't stop thinking about it for months afterward. Eventually I arranged to trade them a carload of gear and throw in a small amount of cash. No regrets - I've made a number of recordings with it and it's still one of my best playing and sounding guitars.

:aok :drool :drool :drool

Reactions: Tag

Strummerfan

One day I went into Long and McQuade's to buy some strings and a patch chord. My favorite salesman, a guy who knew my tastes and had helped me with a bunch of things in the past, said to me, "dude, you want to be first in line at this year's basement sale next week. Trust me, I can't tell you why, but be there". So I was. And that's where I found my Crimson Burst Strat plus deluxe, more than half off. I fell in love at first sight and it's still my favorite guitar I have ever owned, 22 years later. Posted this picture a dozen times already, but, here we go again.

C-4

I don't have one, two, or even three "dream guitars". I've been buying mostly custom guitars since I was young and if I find that I want one, I save up for it and buy it.

I do have a signature guitar from when I was endorsing a specific company and they let me design what I wanted.
It is the guitar in my avatar.

I wouldn't call it a "dream guitar" per se, but it is the most different guitar I own.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom