bounced tracks lacking output volume (but not in PT)

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by harbong, Feb 7, 2008.

1. harbong

harbong Member

I'm fairly new to home recording and it seems after I've mixed tracks and bounced them, the volume of the bounce seems to be very low compared to commercial music (obviously I lack the facilities and resources to attain that, but it is around only half the volume of these). When I play the mix in PT 7.4 the master fader is hitting near unity on the large hits and the overall band level at around -7 or 8, and sounds pretty darn good on my monitors and the bounced tracks lack this dynamic.
    I am really new to mastering like I mentioned, and am looked to HC and TGP for some guidance. I really only have a few plugins, the supplied digi ones and one that I like called the "funk logic masterizer", which seems to clear up the mix favorably on the master channel(and blow away the volume, so I turn down the master to get near the 0). It seems like compression would be the obvious choice to pump the volume of the mix, but I am wary of overusing it (also, I know little about compression other than that people bitch about overusing it in mastering). any advice or resources to help my mix would be great.
    If it helps I'm using PT 7.4 with an mbox 1 on a IBM T40 with Yamaha MSP5's and a behringer BCF2000.

thanks!

2. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I'd suggest importing a commercial track into your ProTools session and comparing the sound/volume there.

Bryan

3. Nomadgtr

Nomadgtr Member

A limiter would be a better choice than a compressor to get the level up to standard CD levels. That being said, limiters have been abused over the past 10-15 yrs to the point where dynamics have disappeared on alot of popular music. So, like any other effect or processor its like adding spices to a meal. A little enhances a meal, alot overpowers it.

4. harbong

harbong Member

thanks, I will work on limiting. maybe on the actual bounced track or the master channel? I'm going to experiment with a lot of things. the funk logic masterizer thing was a joke, also!

5. Nomadgtr

Nomadgtr Member

Limit at the Master.

6. SBRocket

SBRocket Gold Supporting Member

Check out massey plugins mastering limiter. It's fantastic and reasonably priced too!

SB

7. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I would suggest at least light compression first, then a limiter. Rather than just crushing the crap out of the transients to raise the volume, start by leveling out the whole mix somewhat.

THEN crush the crap out of the transients to raise the volume.

8. Nomadgtr

Nomadgtr Member

I think you missed the point of my post.

9. Nomadgtr

Nomadgtr Member

10. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

What point did I miss?

You said, "A limiter would be a better choice than a compressor."

I'm saying that I don't necessarily agree, and that in most cases a combination of the two does a better job of making a mix louder overall.

(P.S. much later... I'm not saying you're wrong. I was just suggesting that it doesn't have to be a choice between two things, an "either/or" question.)