Bourgeois Guitar anyone?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by empty71, Sep 5, 2005.

1. empty71

empty71 Member

I'm considering representing Dana's guitars in Singapore. I've tried them at various NAMM shows and am impressed by the selection and quality of tonewoods and more importantly the tone.

I would appreciate any comments about Bourgeois Guitars and how they hold up to the likes of Collings, Santa Cruz and Goodall.

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Member

the couple I've played did not speak to me like the Collings guitars I own

3. 57special

57special Member

The quality is on par with the others you mentioned.... believe it or not, one of the best archtops i've ever played was a Bourgeois.
    I also prefer Collings, but i prefer them , dollar for dollar , over ANY maker.

4. antojado

antojado Member

I have a Bourgeois Slope D and I love it. The craftsmanship and tone are excellent and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

There's a shop near me that specializes in high end acoustics and they carry quite a few Collings and Santa Cruz guitars. When I was looking for a new acoustic I went down and played through what they had and the only one that really stood out to me was the Santa Cruz VJ. It's basically a knock-off of the Gibson J-45. The slope D is basically the same idea as well.

5. KRosser

KRosser Member

I own a Bourgeois that I totally love, though I think the Santa Cruz's may be my favorite acoustics I've played, but just by a hair. Still, I don't have a burning desire to buy one now because the Bourgeois is working out so well...

6. empty71

empty71 Member

Thanks guy for your thoughts. I'm now waiting for Bonni Loyd of Pantheon to get back to me.

I would love to represent Santa Cruz but they already have a dealer in Singapore and I feel Collings would be too close a comparison to SCGC thus my sights are set on Bourgeois;)

7. THROBAK

THROBAK Member

I have played several and I really wanted and expected to like them but they were a little one dimensional tonally when compared to Collings, Huss Dalton or a good Martin. Maybe that is part of their appeal that they can cut through the mix better but alone I like others better.

8. empty71

empty71 Member

Thank you for your comment THROBAK. I had the opportunity to install the Baggs Element Active System on a Bourgeois Vintage OM recently and agree with your comment.

I'm not speaking for Dana but from what I understand he's going for the dry vintage Martin sound with a strong fundamental emphasis. They do lack the harmonic complexity as found in a Collings, Goodall, Santa Cruz and Huss and Dalton.