Bout to go get an FRFR: talk me out of the K8

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by suckamc, Feb 25, 2012.

1. suckamc

suckamc Member

I want something RELIABLE, cheap-ish (K8 is on sale at like $550... I'd love to not go too far over that), and LIGHT-ish/small-ish. Is there something I should consider besides the K8?

2. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

I liked the tone and especially the sound dispersion (it really washed the room) but I hated the fan. The tone sounded great to me, but it was definitely not accurate which made recording more difficult than it needed to be.

I now have an RCF 310A. It's significantly cheaper, about the same weight but much bigger. It doesn't sound as sweet straight out of the box but that's because it's not doctoring the sound as much. It's been described as having a woofy low end but I don't think that's really true. I believe a lot of people (including me) put too much low end in their models and the 310A just puts out what it's getting whereas the K8 tightens up the lows. Now that I've adjusted my model to the sound of the 310A, I love the results I'm getting and my live sound and recorded sound are as close to identical as I've ever gotten them. The same should also be true for FOH sound. Of the three cabs I've owned, (the K8, the 310A and the Verve FBT 8ma) the 310A is by far my favorite.

3. suckamc

suckamc Member

Reliable? Wish I could find a Dallas dealer.

4. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

So far. I have't had it long enough to give a really good answer yet and it hasn't taken any abuse yet.

5. Boleary2

Boleary2 Supporting Member

used to be an italian company that manufactured drivers for EAW's big touring boxes. They were purchased by Loud Technologies (conglomerate that purchased both mackie and eaw). The original design for the mackie srm series (450/350 etc) were RCF designs that were re-badged and sold with mackie logo's and they were one of the first workhorse powered boxes. so...all that to say, they should be as reliable as mackie if not better as I think they are no longer under Loud's umbrella.

6. ibanez270

ibanez270 Member

I've had my K10 for almost 2 years never heard the fan. Color the sound? Maybe, most speakers do. I play in a rock cover band. The QSC is great for what I need.
    I would like to buy another one.

7. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I have Jim's old Verve 8ma and adore it. Especially the fact that it is so teeny and it packs in its carry bag so well...

I think any of these in this size will do well for you. I like especially that the Verve, because of it's coaxial design (the tweeter is in the middle of the woofer) doesn't "change tone" as your head moves. That has always bugged me with the monitors I've used.

I also tried a JBL Eon 510 and LOVED it. VERY small and portable.

8. bman110

bman110 Silver Supporting Member

Sorry, I have been using my K8 for the last year as a stage monitor and love it. I mix one channel from an Aviom and the other channel with my direct out feed from either a GSP1101 or Kemper.

It's small and it sounds great to me so I'd recommend it!

9. suckamc

suckamc Member

Got the Eon 510. It's so so light. And I liked that it sounded more guitar ampish due to the fact that the highs weren't as strident and PA-ish as k8. But I hope it's loud enough for every place

10. suckamc

suckamc Member

I'm just surprised there's not a 12" version. There's a 10 and a 15

11. nodata2000

nodata2000 Supporting Member

EV ZXA1. Made in America :)

12. ratmtattat

ratmtattat Member

If you have a Guitar Center close by, check out the Alto TS112a's. They're $300 and sound pretty dang good for an FRFR set up.

13. t3oi

t3oi Silver Supporting Member

Aber seine Kemper kommt aus Deutschland!

14. nodata2000

nodata2000 Supporting Member

well played

15. Laskyman

Laskyman Member

If this is true- it is worth a shot! Thanks for the tip!

16. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Still love my FBT Maxx 2a (10"), going on about 3 or so years. Never fails to please, home, practice, (few) gigs.

jon

17. tweedster

tweedster Supporting Member

I have 2 FBT Verve 8ma's, and I'm very satisfied. I don't play very loudly (no brutalz for me) and use a Fractal standard. Very nice small & portable set up.