Boutique amp clips

jlott

Every time I go online to check out some clips of amps it seems to be the same old, tired, stale, generic blues licks. I have heard very few clips that offer anything different or creative than this very old formula. Whats up? Is this what most people want to hear out of an amp? Being a rhythm player I would like to hear something a little different. My wife who knows nothing of amps or guitars or really music in general, commented how similar they always seem to sound.

GT100

Every time I go online to check out some clips of amps it seems to be the same old, tired, stale, generic blues licks. I have heard very few clips that offer anything different or creative than this very old formula. Whats up? Is this what most people want to hear out of an amp? Being a rhythm player I would like to hear something a little different. My wife who knows nothing of amps or guitars or really music in general, commented how similar they always seem to sound.
Yeah, that's my gripe too.
When guys play an amp with tons of distortion they play low note power chords. Any amp except the junkiest of em sound at least half good with power chords. We need to hear the other strings and positions too....

jlott

You know the best ones i have heard in a while were Pete Min playing Morgan amps Abbey. I thought they were very creative and certainly did not follow the same old formula. Each one was unique too.

radiohead

from 5mins into it til the end.. made me want to try a bogner duende out in person.. i currently own one now as a result

You know the best ones i have heard in a while were Pete Min playing Morgan amps Abbey. I thought they were very creative and certainly did not follow the same old formula. Each one was unique too.
i was diggin that also.. the first track reminded me a bit of radiohead
http://www.morganamplification.com/10pm/morgan%20two.mp3

StratStringSlinger

Silver Supporting Member
I'm guessing it's going to be hard to please everyone. I was thinking about this and how to best make a clip but there could be a complaint for almost every style. Play jazz and people can say it's easy to dial a nice jazzy tone out of any amp; play with distortion and most people here discount it immediately; record it professionally and people claim you used 'studio tricks'; record in a simple manner and it doesn't do the amp justice or 'capture the sound I heard in the room'; Play a popular tune and people compare to the original tunes tone or people may not like the song; Play some generic blues riffs and then it's too generic. Then again are people listening for fantastic song arrangements or clever riffs or are they more interested in just hearing the basic tone of the amp. Then you got knobs, guitars, speakers, cabs, tubes, etc! Except for the simplest of amps there's almost infinite ways one can dial an amp. However, I still do appreciate anyone that puts up a clip b/c it helps me hear what different amps are capable of. Cheers!

GT100

I'm guessing it's going to be hard to please everyone. I was thinking about this and how to best make a clip but there could be a complaint for almost every style. Play jazz and people can say it's easy to dial a nice jazzy tone out of any amp; play with distortion and most people here discount it immediately; record it professionally and people claim you used 'studio tricks'; record in a simple manner and it doesn't do the amp justice or 'capture the sound I heard in the room'; Play a popular tune and people compare to the original tunes tone or people may not like the song; Play some generic blues riffs and then it's too generic. Then again are people listening for fantastic song arrangements or clever riffs or are they more interested in just hearing the basic tone of the amp. Then you got knobs, guitars, speakers, cabs, tubes, etc! Except for the simplest of amps there's almost infinite ways one can dial an amp. However, I still do appreciate anyone that puts up a clip b/c it helps me hear what different amps are capable of. Cheers!
Yeah well some of this is true.
Another thing that gets me is when guys play a heavly distorted tone and play blues licks.

If you demoing "X" tone play accordingly!
I want to hear Bark at the Moon licks not Still got the Blues licks with heavy distortion and vise versa.

Also repeating the same lick or riff over and over is a waste of time.
We only need to hear it once or twice -then play somthing totally different that shows somthing else good or bad about the tone and response of the amp.

Play within your ability. We don't need a thousand garbled notes.
If you can play fast clean then that may be ok at times but we really just need you to play clean well within your abilities.

A good demo will have (appropriate) fairly short Rhythms and Leads for each setting.

Dial the amp to its best settings before the demo.
If you have to turn knobs during the demo to say go from clean to distortion know exactly where to turn them to the amps best settings quickly and leave them there while you are playing.

If you don't really understand the electronics of a feature don't spread misinformation that you think is right. (Hint most people don't know how amps work because they didn't learn Tube Electronics)

Last edited:

StratStringSlinger

Silver Supporting Member
Great advice, these are clear/concise suggestions We can use; not just a complaint with no suggestions.

When demonstrating the amp, do people prefer solo guitar or rythm guitar behind the leads? If so enlist a friend, use a looper or backing track?

Yeah well some of this is true.
Another thing that gets me is when guys play a heavly distorted tone and play blues licks.

If you demoing "X" tone play accordingly!
I want to hear Bark at the Moon not licks not Still got the Blues licks with heavy distortion and vise versa.

Also repeating the same lick or riff over and over is a waste of time.
We only need to hear it once or twice -then play somthing totally different that shows somthing else good or bad about the tone and response of the amp.

Play within your ability. We don't need a thousand garbled notes.
If you can play fast clean then that may be ok at times but we really just need you to play clean well within your abilities.

A good demo will have (appropriate) fairly short Rhythms and Leads for each setting.

Dial the amp to its best settings before the demo.
If you have to turn knobs during the demo to say go from clean to distortion know exactly where to turn them to the amps best settings quickly and leave them there while you are playing.

If you don't really understand the electronics of a feature don't spread misinformation that you think is right. (Hint most people don't know how amps work because they didn't learn Tube Electronics)

GT100

Great advice, these are clear/concise suggestions We can use; not just a complaint with no suggestions.

When demonstrating the amp, do people prefer solo guitar or rythm guitar behind the leads? If so enlist a friend, use a looper or backing track?
I'd stay away from that unless you are doing a lengthy demo.
Even then save the backing /layers of tracks for the end.

You really need to hear the amp dry and by itself -keep the effects off. If the amp has built in effects then you could have a section demoing them.
I'm sure some people would also like to hear it with a band to see if it gets lost in the mix or not.

DICKIE C

Perfectly said :aok

BryanMatthews

once a demo guy plays sweet child o mine or enter sandman, im outta there :bonk

abergdahl

Check out my looping stuff for VERY diffrent sounds from Boutique amps (Custom By Cougar, varations on the ODS platform - mostly):
www.soundclick.com/AndersBergdahl
There ara a few blues licks, but not in the usual manner, quite a lot of NOISE and goddies like thar

Trending Topics