• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Boutique and aged LP Jrs?

magnus02

Rock n Roll relics but I wasn't crazy about the one that I did play.

Lots of good options that aren't aged but I'm not aware of too many that are. Maybe as suggested above if you really want an old looking one have a fresh one relic'd?

I've got to admit that I'd be super tempted by a double cut junior '59 style with a neck carve to my liking in with the kind of cherry aged look that Matte had on his firebird/tele hybrid.

Peteyvee

Premium Platinum Member
Why not just buy an old Gibson? Juniors aren't that much more expensive than boutique guitars. You can find a good one for under $3K these days and it'll hold it's value...

theanalogdream

Silver Supporting Member
I'm getting a Jr type build from Rock N Roll Relics currently, so I can't comment immediately on what it'll be like. For what it's worth though, Rob at Prairiewood made me a LPjr double cutaway with honduran mahogany and brazilian rosewood, and it was a killer guitar. For the price I paid, you really can't find anything close at all. The quality of it was on par with custom shop stuff I thought!
It may be worth taking a little extra time and saving a few more bucks to get the real deal! As the guy above said, they're not too pricey these days!

katuna

Gold Supporting Member
Why not just buy an old Gibson? Juniors aren't that much more expensive than boutique guitars. You can find a good one for under $3K these days and it'll hold it's value...
I have to say, this is the one topic where I agree with this. Old Jr.'s are awesome and not that expensive.

Having said that, I also have a Koll Jr. Glide and it rules too, though it doesn't exactly sound like a Jr.; it's more broad frequency, less middy. I have a '58 Jr. The Koll is much more ergonomically friendly.

eddie101

Gold Supporting Member
This. Once bitten, you will never go back. ;)

erksin

You could probably find a used Gibson CS VOS Jr. for well under $2000 too - they are phenomenal guitars.

Scottone

lots of great choices in the JR realm, including the Gibson offerings. Check out Echopark guitars as he has some very cool offerings.

My MotorAve LeMans more than satisfies my Jr. needs, but its a more akin to an SG Jr. on acid :)

E.Z.

Good question and post as I've been looking as well over the last year. I have not been able to find any sub 5k vintage juniors (eBay, Gbase, online dealers, hollywood gc in person, truetone in person and various other places). Gibson custom shop stuff is also very rare these days. Cowtown in Las Vegas has an aged 2007 jr. On Gbase that looks great and when I inquired they said it was sold but 2 months later and it is still listed as for sale. Please point me to some of these affordable vintage pieces.

To my point and to the original post, when u guys post these boutique builders, have u actually played them or just going on what is out there online as I have seen all these names from tgp (Kline, Monty, rosser,praiewood) but playing experience would be appreciated. Most of the boutique stuff I owned was great in quality but misses the vibe of the original. Anyone gigging/recording with any of these boutique gems that can tell us more? I had a hamer korina junior-beautiful but couldn't deal with the finish on the neck after awhile and had some tuning issues. Also had a Mayes bombshell that again was amazingly built but ultimately I wanted a wrap tail and a dogear for the visual and it didn't have that so it sat unused. I'd really like to find a tv yellow double cut, tortguard dogear p90 and any help much appreciated. To the op-good luck in your search as well,

march

I've played a few Rock n Roll Relics and thought them to be excellent. The hardware on the ones I've played has been aged as well.

LsL also do them, Lance's work stands up with the best of them IMHO.

katuna

Gold Supporting Member
I think the point is you can get a real one for not too much more than a boutique one, so if it's really what you want, it might behoove you to save more $ till you can afford it. I agree, it's unlikely to find one for $3,000.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom