1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

Boutique Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Michael Andrew, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Michael Andrew

Michael Andrew Member

I'm all about boutique amps, but are the cabs worth the hefty price tags? Now I know almost EVERYTHING is subjective when it comes to music and gear, but I mean, these are mostly just boxes made of relatively cheap wood, right? Some cabs I see from Mesa and Bogner are between $800-$1200. The only reason I'd consider buying any of them is to match it with a head. Seems like getting a cab from Avatar or Mojotone is a much better option. They got some nice stuff in the $300-$400 range.

2. bigfoamfinger

bigfoamfinger Supporting Member

Like pretty much all my gear, I buy used especially cabs. People always seem to be selling them.

Boutique cabs (112 and 212) can be found in the 500-700 range easy. Got my Matchless and Two Rock 212 cabs in this range. Mesa 412s can be found used ~600

MoBigBro likes this.
  3. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

I always buy Used cabs... stagecraft, Egnater, Marshall (older), Bogner, ...many great used cabs out there.. Swanson, Stoneage, Two Rock, Avatar, Mojotone, Fargen

bigfoamfinger likes this.
  4. scelerat

scelerat Silver Supporting Member

All I can say is the Dr Z Z Best is zee best 2x12 I’ve played through. It makes anything sound great through it. It works well with a variety of speakers, too.

I bought one used twelve years ago for $500. I bought a brand new empty one just last year. Both were worth it.

VooDooClown likes this.
  5. jvin248

jvin248 Member

56Tweed likes this.
  6. Warmy254

Warmy254 Member

Love my 4 Stone Age cabs.

7. AustinIsPresent

AustinIsPresent Member

I have a Two rock 1x12 and an Avatar 1x12, both open back, same speaker, etc. I've been playing them individually with the same head for months on and off now - there may be a slight improvement with the Two Rock cab. It might just be that my eyes are playing tricks on me, though, because I prefer the look. Who knows. At most, it is a very marginal difference to my ear. Not sure it's worth 2x the dough unless you have money you want to spend and really, really want the matching cab vibe.

gulliver and davidespinosa like this.
  8. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

9. majorledhead

majorledhead Supporting Member

I bought a 2x10 Tone Tubby cab for $800 way back when they first hit the scene. Still have it. The cab is super resonant and the original HE1s really tame the ice pick treble I was getting from the Fenders and Vox heads I was using back then. Also the tightness of the bass response was and eye opener to a quality 10” speaker. If I had to choose one word to describe I guess it would be “creamy “.
    I currently have a Crate Vintage Club 50 head sitting on it and the big clean tone is fantastic.

Bottom line is it was pretty exotic and expensive back in the day but after 17 years of use I think I got my money’s worth out of it and don’t regret the purchase.

10. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

I have the same two cabs and think that they sound pretty much the same; with many speaker swaps, but not currently having two identical speakers to test them side by side.

I better go check my music room to make sure they're still there. :aok

... still waiting for someone to buy one of the new Eminence cabs, interested to see how they measure up.

AustinIsPresent likes this.
  11. AA864

AA864 Member

I think once you get up to birch ply on a quality build with decent hardware, they all perform about the same. Avoid MDF and the like.

That said, I love a matching cab to my boutique head, but it's really hard to justify the price.

Example: I bought an empty Morgan 1x12 cab for $300 used. I bought essentially the same (dimensions) used Avatar cab for $150. I cannot tell any difference in SQ with the same speaker. both are birch ply, both are open back and have quality hardware. One has Chalk Chilwich finish and a Morgan logo @ 2x the price. You decide.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

gulliver, Deus56 and AustinIsPresent like this.
  12. AustinIsPresent

AustinIsPresent Member

This is one of the cases where the aesthetics might be enough to swing it for me. I've always been a huge fan of the Morgan aesthetics. Whew. My Two Rocks are, at the end of the day, simple black tolex with a black grill cloth. Avatar's take got close enough that with the logo off, you'd never really guess from 10 feet away.

AA864 likes this.