Boutique/Custom Guitar Builds

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by bilbal, Aug 22, 2008.

1. bilbal

bilbal Member

I have decided that I want to have a custom built, dual humbucking guitar started for me. I'm not ready yet, but in the next 6 months, I will be. Who are the builders you all suggest I look into for this? I really dig Jason Schroeder's work - A LOT!!!! I also really like my Trussart Steelcaster so I have thought about a SteelTop

Thanks,
    Bill

Thank you for the suggestion Jim (Soloway)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  2. Zilmo

Zilmo Member

Jason builds beauties. All the Trussart types make me long for a tetanus shot.

3. bilbal

bilbal Member

:rotflmao

I didn't know what to think before my Trussart arrived. Turns out it's by far the best guitar I have ever played - seriously, it's unreal. I may go that route again actually. That said, JZS's guitars are extraordinary. There was one a few months ago that went to benefit breast cancer (TGP raffle/auction). It was shell pink or similar. I would love to get a "relative" of that guitar. I fell for it very quickly. I wonder who ended up with it (???)

Does anyone have a picture of that guitar by chance?

4. bilbal

bilbal Member

Never-mind I found her:

From JZS Forum:

“Julianne Guitar” Raffle for Breast Cancer

I got a call Saturday evening with upsetting news. My aunt (who is also my Godmother) was diagnosed with breast cancer. Julianne is a 50-year-old mother of two (Erin, who is in college, and Sean, who is in the U.S. Coast Guard). She is married to Tim who flew T-38s in the Air Force. As my dad’s youngest sister, Julianne has seemed almost like a cousin to me aunt than and aunt because she has always seemed a lot younger than her age. Needless to say, it is sitting really heavy with me. Julianne is eternally optimistic and is the type of person that will tell everyone that she is fine and not to worry about her.

This is not Julianne’s first medical challenge. She was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (MS) about 18 years ago and has learned to live with fatigue as well as numbness in her legs and feet. She of course acts like it’s no big deal. Just something she has to deal with. Now she is facing a mastectomy and chemotherapy to combat cancer. I have seen the challenge of fighting breast cancer having watched a good friend lose his wife to the disease several years ago. I hope that we can make some sort of difference for her and for others fighting breast cancer by raising money for the cause.

The guitar that will be up for auction is one that I built as part of my Ready to Ship (RTS) program. I stained the quilted top pink on the suggestion of my wife. I had no idea the significance that it might have later on. There is an incredible irony in the story. I wrote an email to a representative at www.breastcancer.org to offer the guitar to be put up for auction to raise money for breast cancer. Less than a week later, I learned of my aunt’s diagnosis. I had a weird feeling when I contacted the breast cancer organization. I am not sure why I felt compelled to contact them, it just seemed to make sense and an excellent use of this guitar. I did have a twinge of a feeling that I really hoped no one whom I loved would ever be affected by this disease. I am one usually suspect of those who say they have premonitions, and surely this was just a coincidence, but the purpose of that guitar is now crystal clear. When I talked to Julianne about it she simply said, “It’s a God thing.”
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• One-piece Quilted Maple Top
    • Honduran mahogany back
    • Curly maple neck
    • Brazilian rosewood fingerboard, headplate, backplate, knobs, truss rod cover
    • Maple purfling on fingerboard and headstock
    • Bryan Gunsher Smokestack pickups
    • Graph-Tech nut
    • Aluminum "S" jackplate
    • Pink MOP Rose at 12th fret and on backplate
    • Badass Adjustable Stoptail
    • Sperzel locking tuners w/ Ivoroid buttons
    • 24.75" Scale
    • 12" fingerboard radius
    • Stainless steel frets
    • Thin nitrocellulose finish on body in "semi-satin" (not as matte as some satin finishes)
    • Tung oiled neck
    • Set up for 10s

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  5. winstabull

winstabull Member

I just placed a deposit on a Schroeder so you know where my vote is going....

But if I had to pick another I would say Myka.

6. 2112

2112 Member

Matt Artinger

Terry McInturff

Ruokangas

Nik Huber

All available through Cliff at Destroy All Guitars. Cliff is a great guy to deal with and will go beyond to help. BTW, Myka is represented by Cliff as well. So with the exception of the very cool Jason Schroeder you have one stop shopping and Cliff's great expertise - what could be better :banana.

Good luck, any of the above builders are great to work with and build a great guitar.

7. BattleAngel

BattleAngel Member

The experience I am having w/ David Myka is second to none. This is without a doubt the most excited I have ever been about an instrument, and his enthusiasm for the project is the main reason for that. It's a fairly weird build too, so he's totally fearless!

8. remocity

remocity Supporting Member

9. Blunder

Blunder Supporting Member

There are so many great builders to choose from right now. My vote would have to go with Saul Koll though. I have 2 of his guitars and have another on the way. The only small company guitars I have played have been Koll and Soloway. (which are amazing guitars as well. The scale length might not be what you are looking for though)

10. John Mayes

John Mayes Member

I'm making a batch of deluxe models right now. LP double cut style. Dual buckers (or p90's) under $2K

www.bombshellguitars.com

11. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

for what its worth , I have a few guitars if your interested you could try , I am about a hour away , as long as your dont have any big belt buckles or spikes on .
    Pm if your interested

12. Blunder

Blunder Supporting Member

I'm not sure if Saul is taking any new orders yet, but he might be by the time you are ready. I'd email him or Cliff at DestroyAllGuitars and find out.