boutique EQ's vs. more common multi-band types

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Highway Jones, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Highway Jones

Highway Jones Supporting Member

What are the benefits to using say the Sea Blue or Morning Dew vs. the $30 Dano Fish and Chips (aside from the buffer features, etc.)?

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

why boutique eq pedals have shelving filters instead of graphic design?

3. tocs100

tocs100 Member

Shelving filters are (almost) perfectly smooth from start to end point. Those are better than graphic-eqs if you want to make a large/broad change in your frequency response. Graphic-eqs aren't as good for that because if you pull down, say, 100Hz and 200Hz, there's still a bump right between at 150Hz. Pull down 4 sliders, and now you have 3 "ragged" bumps. Make sense? Graphics are good for small tweaks though--not as good as parametrics, but much less $.:roll(Also, as a general rule, the built-in eqs on amps are of the lowest design and part quality imaginable. And it's often best to set them at noon, which is a bypass on some brands, but not all.)

4. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Really nice articulate explanation tocs100.

BTW Has anyone tried using the Sea Blue or Morning Dew as a boost for solos with an amplified acoustic?

I have an RC Booster which works quite well but it's on my electric board and I was thinking a bit more tone control may be handy for this purpose.

5. drolling

drolling Member

I've got all three, but the SBEQ's my preference when using piezo or mag pickups on my resos & archtops. That pedal does double duty on both my electric and electro-acoustic boards - wish I could afford two of them.

I really prefer mic'ing my old National & the Selmac oval hole, but it's just so impractical that I've been making do w/p-up boosters & equalizers for some years now..

6. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

Well, parts and build quality mainly. I'm perfectly happy with my $50 Boss PQ-3

7. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I'm very happy with my Boss EQ-20. I also love the way that it also has the availability to do +4 dB for sticking in the FX loop!

8. ♫▐▀▄▀▌♫

♫▐▀▄▀▌♫ Member

I recently picked up one of those cheap Dano EQ's, and am pretty happy with it. The parts are not as high quality as most other EQ's, but I'm not going on tour with the thing so I'm not too worried. It might not have a great buffer, but I'm using it as a dedicated EQ- not boost- so it's always on and it improves my tone- it doesn't degrade it. An EQ is really a great thing- it can really help to add the finishing touches to a sound.

9. tocs100

tocs100 Member

Thank you. I'm always glad when my $30,000+ investment in my English/Tech Writing BA degree can be useful!

BTW: I just posted a review of the new Behringer MINIFBQ800 Graphic Eq if anyone's interested.

10. cliffc8488

cliffc8488 Member

Good explanation, the only thing I'd add is that most amps are far from flat with the tone controls at noon. Your typical Marshall, Fender, etc. is closest to flat with the mid at max and bass and treble at min.

CC

11. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

...right and Id just add that while the Boss etc. eqs can be just fine they can also be noisy, especially if your boosting treble....... and you can also get odd phase cancellations that give your tone a 'fake' quality ..... the SBEQ also has non standard eq bands (different than most amps use for tone controls) so it can aid in sculpting places you cant usually get too.....

one thing that helps is to try and stay as close to center as possible - sometimes the best way to boost treble is to lower bass.... so if your getting pretty far from the center detent, try adjusting the opposite freq...... this lowers phase cancellations among other things....

12. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

You're right that the Boss GE-7 has noise issues. My EQ-20 (twin pedal) does NOT have the noise issues of it's compact brother. I recommend it to anyone

13. entraind

entraind Member

Yes it does, the sniper mod ( tone-jam.com/GE7_mod_page.html ) goes a long way toward fixing these issues and makes it a really usable pedal for EQ tweeks....

14. notagain123

notagain123 Member

I own the EQ20 and it is much much quieter compared to the EQ7 ....Its also great as a boost, and really defines your sound clearly for Jazz or whatever as you program it.

Its integral if you want to achieve a versatile rig of sounds...:AOK