Boutique Marshall Flavors

BakerySpecial

Silver Supporting Member
Looking at picking up a new Marshall flavored amp. I actually have a few nice options locally. I will use the amp for giging, but dont have a problem using my guitar vol and have a nice pedal board so single channel isnt a deal breaker.

Local Deals:
Marshall 1959SLP
Marshall JTM45
Budda SD 45, 30 II
Savage Blitz 50
Germino Club 40
Roccaforte Custom 40

I would concider a Bogner Goldfinger or Helios, but dont have these options locally. Consider others as well. Suggestions?

Marshall guys, any one stand out from the others?

JB6464

Silver Supporting Member
Metroamp 12,000 series Marshall build 68 plexi with mustards . :dude

gman1951

Gold Supporting Member
Carol Ann Triptik gives the Marshall flavor (with its own spin) plus much more (like a great clean channel).

stompboy

Budda all the way for me. The preamp is designed by Dave Friedman and is essentially a Brown Eye. Takes pedals really well too.

BakerySpecial

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks Guys! I'm kinda leaning toward the Savage Blitz 50 because of the MV. Tophat was one I havent considered, will check it out. Budda SD is the cheapest, not that price is everything....

stompboy

Stompboy.. which do you prefer, 30 II or 45?
Depends on what I need to do. The 30 is 84 based so has a bit more sparkle and spongyness. The 45 uses KT's so has more of an immediate attack. The 45 also kills the 30 on volume. It's utterly brutal. I suppose the 45 is more Marshall but I love them both. I also have a V-20 which is different again. You probably need to go and try them.

LPMojoGL

Music Room Superstar
Silver Supporting Member
That Germino Club 40 is a seriously great sounding amp.
I had one in 2x12 combo form, and it sounded huge, best cleans, harmonics all over, awesome feel, took pedals great. Just an awesome amp.
If I were playing out regularly and could crank it, that amp would be at the top of my preferred list.

Bogner Shiva 20th close second.

The Friedman Brown Eye I have right now is like a slinky, bouncy plexi on steroids. Think everything from EVH to GnR AFD, Wylde, Dokken... I'm loving it.

The Goldfinger is sweet. I've had the 45 n 90. They're both awesome amps, but more their own thing, imo. I'm sure plenty would disagree with me.
The Budda is darker, lots of fun. NOT essentially a Friedman Brown Eye. While a cool amp, the feel and sound are much different.

guitarvc

I say Bogner Helios or Goldfinger first...Fantastic amps...better than Marshall.

Budda Second

I had a Club 40, and while it was my first Marshall type amp, I don't think I would need much more for Marshall tones than that...unfortunately I've found that I'm more of a Vox amp kind of guy...and not that volume was an issue, but 50 watts of power was more than I needed at this time, which is why I'm letting go of a Blonde Bassman style amp in the near near future...and currently have it up for trade feelers

LPMojoGL

Music Room Superstar
Silver Supporting Member
I had a Club 40, and while it was my first Marshall type amp, I don't think I would need much more for Marshall tones than that...unfortunately I've found that I'm more of a Vox amp kind of guy...and not that volume was an issue, but 50 watts of power was more than I needed at this time, which is why I'm letting go of a Blonde Bassman style amp in the near near future...and currently have it up for trade feelers

Curious how the blonde bassman compares to the C40. PM if you like, although it might help folks interested in that early Marshall sound.

BakerySpecial

Silver Supporting Member
Dr. Z Remedy also seems like a good option. I like what i have hear online but have never played one. How do the Germino and Z compair?

dwk302

Fargen
David Bray

Both have to be included in any conversation about Marshall clones.