Boutique Marshall opinions, please

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by dirtyguitar, Dec 30, 2004.

1. dirtyguitar

dirtyguitar Supporting Member

I've been playing Matchless and BC 4el84 amps for so long, I forgot what got me goin in the first place, I love them but I just bought a copy of How the West Was Won on CD and the guitar tone's page was getting on "Since I've Been Loving You" gav e me a serious Marshall woodie!

I'm not a true vintage guy cause I need reliability so...Mojave, Blockhead, Germino, Roccaforte? Which one do you guys like and why and>>> Is there a lower power version that nails that 'Page' tone?

Your input is greatly appreciated....

Thanks

Chris

2. esw

esw Guest

Check out the demo video for the 20/22 watt handwired Marshall that just came out. Sounds VERY Pagey.

I used to come very close with a 1987x and an old 4x12 with greenbacks.

3. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd Member

I'd check out some of Doug's mid power ranged amps, if you are looking for that tone. Doug
    is a great guy and makes great amps.

Plus, his build quality is excellent!

Doug's a huge fan of Page--nuff said?

4. mailman

mailman Member

Vintage...reliability...hmmmm...I smell THD.;)

5. JWR

JWR Member

I have a Mojave Peacemaker. However, for the J Page stuff I have a '72 Marshall Super Lead that is classic tone defined. The Super lead has less gain but has more high end than the Mojave which aggressive and is voiced slightly darker.

6. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

In my opinion for a plexi sound from 1watt to 100 you can't beat the Maven Peal Ganesha. It just sounds real and I have a near mint 69 Marshall to compare it to. The Ganesha is better in many ways not the least being the adjustable wattage. Check out their website for all the details because there is a lot of them.

7. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

Why don't you just buy an early 70's metal panel 50 watt Marshall and play through that?

I really don't get all this copying Marshall business that goes on these days. There are well serviced affordable Marshalls out there that sound great.
    Page played a Marshall, you can too.

8. wichita

Well,
    That all sounds reasonable but a Marshall still gets that sound, biasing has been something that has been done on amps for years...no biggie, the noise level is not all that bad on a properly serviced Marshall, and why pay boutique prices to get a tone that is available from the source at a reasonable amount of money?

That whole thing of guys going through a dozen boutique Marshalls looking for Jimmy Page's tone is just goofy. Buy a freakin' Marshall...

9. kannibul

kannibul Member

#1 Attenuator, or a Post Phase Inverter master, or both!
    #2 you have to do that anyway
    #3 what kind of expense? Tubes are sold in matched sets more often than not, and when you blow one, you *should* replace the set anyway.
    #4 You can have it modded to allow for either, just need a rebias.
    #5 When those Marshalls were built, they didn't have FX Loops. You could always have one put in...
    #6 Hum? Ok, sure - whatever...
    #7 Every amp has this "problem"

10. kannibul

kannibul Member

www.webervst.com - buy a Bias Rite.

Pull the chassis, plug one of the power tubes into the bias-rite, plug it into the chassis, look for the trim pot on the inside, and adjust as needed.

I've got a Marshall TSL - which has external bias controls. Soudns great at low volumes, and better as I turn up.

I've also got an Orange Rockerverb 100. I have to pull the chassis even if I want to change a preamp tube (because of where they are located).

And $50-$200? Wow. I wish I was your tech - I'd be making a killing off you....they should be charging no more than $30, provided that you supply the tubes.

11. wichita

So....what Marshall sounding amp are you for people buying that solves all of these horrible problems that we should not have to deal with pray tell?

12. wichita

This thread is getting really weird:confused:

Is there a seperate section for dealers advertising themselves?

13. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

Ganesha or Tuskadaro all the Marshall tone you could ever ask for. At any volume and an idiot like me can set the bias in no time without lighting myself up. Sounds way better than an attenuated amp or a master volume amp, no comparision, best low volume and high volume Marshall amp!!Maven Peal

14. wichita

Well I think that it was all too obvious that you were getting around to some shameless self promotion, I just figured I would help you pull the trigger on that.

15. dirtyguitar

From what Iv'e been able to gather so far (thank you ALL for your .02) is that Germino(allman), Rocca(page) and Blockhead(?) are the vintage deal and Mojave(VH) and Maven Peal(VH) are the High Gain deal.

I know that is a can of worms but for the sake of simplification ,....

The sites that have clips are so treated that it is impossible to get any real feel for the differences,

Also , there seems to be a huge bias towards strat/teles,... in the clips, feel free to tell me IFOS

I'm looking for the cleaner/blusier sounds of page with the 100 watt super with the kt88s (yes they were) in an amp that either has a convincing master volume or built in variac or is otherwise able to sound the part in a 200 seat hall of drunkards,...you know the drill.

ALL of your opinions are appreciated,

DG

16. dirtyguitar

Dave,

Thanks for expounding. The point is that to play an amp alone in an old empty church does not leave one with an objective sense of what it sounds like, no matter how cool the player or clip. But ,.. others have even more processed signals on their sites so I am not pointing a finger at you per se. I'm sure your amps rip.

17. kannibul

kannibul Member

My God, it's as if the volts are just waiting to JUMP OUT AT YA!

Better use wireless, you never know...

Fear = ignorance

18. kannibul

kannibul Member

Who are you - Fab Amps?

19. kannibul

kannibul Member

Those were not concrete answers. My responses to your "problem" with Marshall were the REAL answers. Everything beyond that is your sad attempt at marketing.

20. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

kannibul You need to lighten up brother, we're all here to help each other out around here
    :)