boutique "orange" amps...who makes an OR80?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by soulohio, Jan 31, 2006.

1. soulohio

soulohio Member

just curious on whether there is anybody out there that make an Orange inspired boutique build amp....? and why can't i post to the buy/sell forum?

2. brianf

brianf Member

My guess is the real ones sound so good, and the limited market make it not a top priority for any builders.

Just get the real McCoy. They sound great!!!!

brianf

3. soulohio

soulohio Member

i have been looking....they are very expensive on ebay....if anybody knows of an OR or OD 80....I have a few things to trade-sell or am interested outright...

4. mikef1331

mikef1331 Member

MATAMP the original Orange company still makes a couple versions of the OR80. http://www.matamp.co.uk/

Unfortunately, Matamp's only USA dealer/distributor Junior's Music just recently had a devestating fire.

5. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

You could try www.electricamp.com
    Started by the old Matamp US distributor. Closer in design to the old Matamp/Orange Amps than the current line up Matamp is offering these days.

6. D/FW XJ'er

D/FW XJ'er Senior Member

:jo

I don't get these posts.

People want the Fender/Marshall/Vox sound but want to spend more money to own a boutique amp.

7. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Yeah, Matamp has kind of moved from the original Orange design.
    Electric amps appears to be in keeping w/ the original Orange/Matamp philosophy, though I haven't played their amps. All designs listed on their site are 120w and up (no 80 watters).
    FWIW, I'm having a tech friend in Toronto build me an OR80 clone - he has experience w/ them. Should be ready any day. I'll post a report...

8. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Agreed - original Orange amps are killer... That said, they aren't always easy to find (trust eBay?), can be in questionable condition, and price keeps going up.

9. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

Electric is the one to get right now, closest to the original sound, unless you can find an original of course.

10. daddyo

daddyo Guest

The new Orange amps are killer and they are not radically expensive.

11. brianf

brianf Member

I agree with you! I always chuckle when I hear someone say I'm looking for an amp that will sound like a Marshall. Ahhh, they are still in business.;)

brianf

12. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

If you insist on paying boutique prices for Orange sound (and tremendous build quality), look no further than...Orange!! Adrian Emsley (their cheif scientist) hand builds two models--the Retro 50 and the AD50. I've played them both and they are absolutely stellar amps. They're gorgeously built and very expensive and can be found at many Orange dealers of good repute.

13. Blueser

Blueser Member

Is the Retro 50 still available Leon? I thought it was limited prduction, and no longer being made? That is a great sounding amp!

I have to pull the trigger on a Rockerverb one of these days. That is one of the best sounding newer amps to hit the scene IMO!

14. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

I've heard that too Blueser...but there were some in the Orange both at NAMM, IIRC and they're most definitely new ones still being sold, FWIW.

15. soulohio

soulohio Member

actually...I don't insist on paying lots of money for a boutique...but here is the dilemma. The vintage OR-OD 80's are expensive and rare and LOUD. I know it is a function(somewhat) of the Orange sound to be loud and I thought maybe somebody does a take on that Orange thing in a lower wattage amp. The Retro 50...I will check on that but that is an expensive amp too and I have read that the Retro 50 is somewhat different than an OR 80 soundwise. The AD50 and Retro 50 are listed at $3199....is there any difference between the two amps?

16. whitehall

whitehall Member

There is one on Gbase from a dealer , they are ASKING 2500. But that means nothing. There are also a ton of Orange dealers on Gbase.

17. centaur

centaur Member

For the moment i play with a Orange Retro 50 #31. But in the past i have a Matamp GT100 from 76 ( the most most louder amp !!! ) and one of my friend have a Orange OR120 Reissue.

The sound of the Retro are similar to the OD120. The old one from the 70's have a more fuzzy tone on the top.
    I really like ma Retro 50 ! I play most of the time rock & roll ( Hellacopters, Mc5, Hives, Rick Derringer ... ) but in the past i have owned a Les Paul R7 and a R7 + Retro it's THE Paul Kossoff sound ! Amazing !

For me the Retro sound not the best with the new Orange Cabs in V30. Now i play with a Marshall 1960 AHW . And now my Epiphone Crestwood 67 sound like a dream !

The only effect i use is a BJF Pink Purple Fuzz ( probably the best fuzz on the market with the BSM FuzzBender )

The Retro soundhave one sound but this sound is really cooool !

And the quality are obsessive !

18. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

Would love an update!

- DB

19. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Well, we got part way into it (some time ago now) and then had the opportuinity to buy-back a OR80 that I'd sold (and was restored by the same tech).
    That said, the tech does amazing repro work (did a Hiwatt-type amp recently - wow!). PM me if you want contact info...

20. tacorivers

tacorivers Silver Supporting Member

"I agree with you! I always chuckle when I hear someone say I'm looking for an amp that will sound like a Marshall. Ahhh, they are still in business."

And making pretty ****** amps IMHO. The boutique Marshalls are light years ahead of anything that marshall is currently building. You can also get a boutique amp that gives you the exact flavor of vintage Marshall for a lower price than buying a vintage piece.