Boutique pedal builder question...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gururyan, Mar 8, 2006.

1. gururyan

gururyan Member

This is just a thought that crossed my mind regarding those of you that build pedals...for income. Is there an effect you are putting off for later when you feel you have enough experience under your belt or time to tackle it in the manner in which it deserves? Let me explain. It seems that most builders sigh, groan or ignore the inevitable request for a delay. Is this the pedal that most don't want to attempt until they feel they could do it right? Is there a different effect that makes you feel this way? What is that "special" effect you are putting off until the time is right? Why is that?

...just curious. It seems delay is that pedal for most. I doubt we'll ever even see a delay from Z. Vex. I forget his reasons, but I am sure he is sick and tired of being asked for a delay pedal.

[/late night ramblings]

2. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

Well, my reasons for getting into building are probably similar to most builders. Just making stuff that I want myself. The cost/benefit of building to buying changes as you gain experience and upgrade production facilities. So now that it doesn't seem like such a huge project in my mind, I'm thinking along the lines of developing a delay. (just thinking so far) The feature set and tonal demands I would put on this project are pretty formidable. (probably every feature you would want) It just comes down to time and how I can spend it most productively when it comes to developing a new product.

My philosophy is that I don't want to make something that's already out there (at least in the same quality or price range as I would make it). So right now, there's not really a delay out there that I a) really want, and b) can afford. So that indicates to me a market niche (assuming I could produce it at a price I think is fair).

3. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

gururyan, interesting topic!

not wanting to hijack but the Skreddy delay vision sounds pretty promising!

4. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Yep, delays are expensive and the ones with features I like, such as modulation, are big. A small delay with a few different modulation shapes? Yes please! Please don't mention the Jaques Prisoner... I just don't really like the way it looks...

5. BMF Effects

BMF Effects Supporting Member

Personally, I do not try to fill holes in the market. I build effects that I like and/or enjoy and that I think other people might like and/or enjoy. I do have a delay pedal coming out, but again because I like it. As for not building beyond my ability, I won't know what I can and can't do until I try. There are some effects I want to build but won't release until I'm 100% satisfied with the end product, but I don't think that has anything to do with my ability to build them. I just haven't thought them through all the way yet. Ultimately I'm not trying to "out do" anyone. If you buy one of my pedals, it suits your needs and you're happy then it doesn't get any better than that.

:AOK

6. coprofilo

coprofilo Member

Hi guys, it's my first time here, I wrote a lot and lost all my "poem" so this time it will be shorter :-(
    I just bought the BMF Decho Box (one of the first, s.n.0010!! It will be expensive in 2047!!) and it's a good delay!
    No modifies to your tone, it just adds clean, warm echo.
    It's not analog but who cares? It's way better than any other digital echoes i played before and better than some old, humming analog.
    Maybe it could be cheaper (i paid it more than 300$ at todey's change rate) but it's ok, it is cheaper than the C..l M....n I was going to buy before trying BMF.
    Just a suggestion: why don't you mount a switch for switching the loop from post delay to pre delay? I don't need to add chorus on repeats but I could need a true bypass loop for my Boss Ce2!
    So guys try this one, it's very nice!!!
    Greetings from Reggio Emilia, Italy

7. Montez

Montez Member

There are several designs I have waiting in the queue to bring to market. The problem I have, and I'm sure other small builders can relate is...do I build to fill orders? Or stop production to do the R&D, retooling, spend$$$ etc to bring a new pedal to market?

Pedals I have nearing the market is a Tremolo(Helix), and A Bass envelope filter with compression (Bitchin' Betty),

Long term projects are...the Delay. The Delay has a lot of challenges. BBD chips are noisy but have great tone. BBD chips are not RoHS compliant for the EU market. Digital delays don't have good tone (digital floss) but have flexibility. I have not seen (heard) any feasible delay processor that suits my needs.

8. Wooley

Wooley Member

Cheers, Dave. :BEER

9. madsr

madsr Member

But the payoff it seems to me could be great if the delay was as successful as the OD's with the 75 to 150% profit margin of which you speak. As I'm sure you know every successful business takes risks in order to achieve that success. It must be real sweet to be able to fund those risks with backordered merchandise at those profit margins.

10. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change! Supporting Member

For ZVex is was the Ringtone most likely. He posted a pic and samples of an EHX RTG several years before releasing the Ringtone. The function very similarly so Im guessing he was putting it off or taking his time.

11. Marcus Dahl

Marcus Dahl Member

Well, I've stayed away from a delay because of two things. 1. A lot of the parts I'd use aren't being made, and 2. the end cost to the buyer. I had thought about it at one point, but the end price would just be to high to stay in the right market place.

12. David B

David B Silver Supporting Member

I understand, I can see you feel strongly about this project, you should spend the $$ for the development and go ahead and take the "risk", it sounds like you think it will pay off.

...me, I really don't ever use delay myself and don't like the sound of repeats that much . I usually hate whatever riff just played, the last thing I want is to hear it again :), I just don't have a passion for it....you seem like the right guy at the right time, Go for it!

My opinion is Line 6, Boss etc, these guys will win this battle just becuase they have the deep pockets to win...they also can afford the risk better than me betting my ranch on something I have no passion for. If Line 6 got the bypass and a proper parallel signal chain right, this would be over.

13. whoismarykelly

Except Line 6 makes ugly pedals. The 5% that looks contribute to my decision does mean I dont buy their products

14. David B

David B Silver Supporting Member

IT IS TRULY AWSOME!!!!, If you are ever in Hanover look me up, we can spend the day playing golf on my yacht!

:RoCkIn

15. LaXu

LaXu Member

I certainly would like to see more boutique builders concentrating on something other than overdrive pedals. There are propably hundreds already on the market, definitely something for everyone so aside from having the "flavor of the month" is there really a need for yet another overdrive?

Of course, since the other effects are more complex they also tend to be really expensive, more than many are willing to pay for a pedal.

16. gaspedals.net

gaspedals.net Member

:roll

17. catalinbread

catalinbread Member

There is such a thing as calculated risk. Though conmen don't take risk to be successful they use other people's money to make their money. There are some retailers in this business that I won't do business with for that very reason. That said not everything is sinester.

18. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

To do a delay right, one that I would like to play, would require a good amount of R&D. It would take a real drastic slow down on my current production for me to have enough bandwidth to dedicate to a delay. Either that or I would have to stop production to make time for R&D.

Time would be my constraint.

19. $uperpuma

$uperpuma Member

if I built and SOLD 2 pedals every single day except Sunday (the Big Guy likes us to rest) all by myself (626 units), not paying anyone any labor but doing ALL the work myself, at a modest boutique price $179 we'll say. At small quantities like this, prices are a bit higher for parts, so we'll say I've got $50 in each Mojo wave distort-a Crunch-o-Vibe pedal, that leaves $129. that gives $80,754... not bad... BUT WAIT... Uncle Sam wants some... I'll round out at 20%... $64,603.20... add in tool maintenence, additional electrical, I'll probably want to go to NAMM, some guitar shows, advertise, etc... that leaves you with an average living and not a ton of R&D cash left over....God forbid the pedals do well and I have to hire someone, or get a shop outside my garage because my wife wants somewhere to park the economy car I bought with the massive profits of a banner year....

20. whoismarykelly

That bitch can get a job. I have pedals to make :mad: