Boutique pedal for metal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by joaopaulomna, Sep 15, 2008.

1. joaopaulomna

joaopaulomna Member

Hello, I'm John from Brazil.
    This is my fist post on the forum, but i've been reading threads since a long time. So, I'm looking for a great lead pedal to put on my board. I have a DS-1 and a BD-2 for distortion/overdrive, but I'm replacing them with a crunchbox and a fulldrive. I need a pedal to play metal (kind of petrucci tone). I know that I should by a mesa to get that tone, but I do'nt have the money yet, and I'm focusing on replacing my board with great quality pedals.
    I've searched a lot and found some pedals to do that job: keeley MT-2 and the subdecay blackstar. What pedal do you guys recommend?:huh

Thanks. :cool:

2. yellowecho

yellowecho Member

3. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

4. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

Hi John - welcome to the forum!

There are a few options for the tone you are looking for.

For a heavy Mesa Rectifier sound, I would take a look at the MI Audio Tube Zone. Some other heavy options (without breaking the bank) are the EHX Metal Muff and the yet-to-be released Emma PisdiYAUwot (weird name, but the demos sound great!)

You might also take a look at Digitech's Hardwire metal pedal, or Line 6's ubermetal. But if I were you I'd spend a little more and get something that is all analog.

If you had an extra $400 I would highly recommend the Toneczar Openhaus. Unfortunately there is a wait list, but I have one and love it. I don't use it for really high gain sounds, but it is quite capable of a great Petrucci tone.

I might stay away from the Blackstar - I have heard it is a little fuzzy, and you would need more articulation for a Petrucci tone. The Skreddy Top Fuel might be good for this too.

5. Mikey2201

Mikey2201 Member

Hi John

I just bought the Hardwire series Metal Distortion and it is AWESOME. I have not found anything to fault with it.

Also worth noting is liguid metal pedal from Damage control this is tube driven and is fantastic.

Hope this helps

6. VHS analog

VHS analog Member

If you have a good amp, it looks like you'll have everything you need for metal. Just hold on to your old pedals.
    Boss Distortion
    Blues Driver
    Crunchbox
    Fulldrive
    Between those four, you can stack them and dial them in an infinite number of ways.

7. joaopaulomna

joaopaulomna Member

Thanks guys. I've search for the pedals you suggested, and I have some questions to ask:

1. For the guys that played the BOM. Does it have a great lead tone? I've watched the videos, but they play riffs more than lead.
    2. Thanks nibus. Do you you thing the Tube Zone it's capable of doing lead tones close to the mark sound? Because if it could, I would have a pedal that can give me both sides of the petrucci tipe of tone (Rectifier's rhythm and Mark's lead). I know the Line6 Pedal, but I wanna stay away from the digital pedals, and spend more money on the analog. I've seen the toneczar site, but pedals with waiting list are more difficult to me import because besides the money spent on the pedal, I still have to pay some extra cash to bring the pedal to my country, and the pedal it's very expensive by itself. And thanks for the advice on the subdecay pedal. I'll check out the skreddy.
    3. Mikey, do you think the hardwire it's versatile enough to do lead and rhythm? Does it sound amp-like distortion or is close to the metalzone?
    4. Americananalog, thanks, but I considered that, but decided do not stack pedals to get my metal tone (this way i have less pedals on my board, and i can keep the with setting for different purposes)

8. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

Railhead effects TUA. That would probably be the best petrucci imitation since its based on a dual rectifier.

9. almogaver

almogaver Member

10. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

I don't know if the TubeZone will get you to the solo territory - but you could stack another OD (blues driver maybe) and be there pretty easily with the combo.

11. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

Option #1:
    Hi there, my recommendation (if you like the Metal Zone) is to get the Keeley Modified one. It is like a having a different pedal and it will out-metal the zvex (my apologies to those who love this pedal...). It will go from your classic metal zone tones (but better) to death metal very easily.

Option #2:
    Somebody already suggested that you consider stacking the pedals you already have, and that is a very good option to consider before spending any money, but I would also suggest you consider getting yourself an EQ pedal to run after your distortions. I promise that if you get something like the MXR 10 band, or the Boss GE-7 that your distortions will sound better after some tuning.

Distortion pedals are funny beasts and they may react very differently to different guitars or to what you have in front of them so putting an EQ is a very good way to compensate/enhance to better match your amp and guitar. I use an MXR after both my Keeley MT-2 and VS Jekyll & Hyde and they both sound much better. With the EQ I can easily go from rock to crushing metal, so it truly adds versatility.

Option #3:
    If you are good with a soldering iron, how about getting the Keeley mod, or the Monte Allums mod for the DS-1 and do it yourself? Any of these mods will transform your DS-1 into a tone machine with much richer harmonics and a much more useable pedal.

http://www.monteallums.com/pedal_mods.html#bossds1
    http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=10

12. mr. stanley

mr. stanley Member

to me the Crunch Box is more straight up Metal than the Tube Zone...maybe I need to A/B them again

T-Rex Bloody Mary is another option

forum-crawler's comment about using an EQ with your distortion is right on

13. halorealm7

halorealm7 Member

AMT Electronics California Sound--$119.00
    Best tone I've ever had for Petrucci, Satch type stuff. This thing breaths midrange and it also got a bass and treble control. Try one, you won't be sorry.

14. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

stack em up man. should give you a great lead tone. though you could go the EQ route and not only dial in the sound, but get a volume boost for leads as well.