Boutique pedals really better than Tubescreamers?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jjboogie, Mar 28, 2008.

1. jjboogie

jjboogie Member

I have never owned a boutique overdrive pedal......I have used the TS9 for years and have been very happy.....my curiosity has definitely been peaked lately to try a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 or something similar however do they really sound that much better? Is it really worth it to spend that kind of money when I can get another TS9 used for $40 or $50 bucks?

thanks
    jj

2. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Short answer, yes. But I wouldn't recommend a FDII as your first non-boss, ts od. It's highly likely that you would be dissapointed (based on my experience with various FD's).

In my opinion the Diamond J-Drive MK3 is very similar to the FDII but sounds way better, it's a little pricey though. Check out the You Tube Demo's the ProGuitarShop did.

3. iggs

iggs Member

Some booteek stuff is built with better components and has been tweaked to builders taste which you may or may not like.

A lot of the booteek ODs are a TS variation, but a lot of them are not.

If you're looking for a TS clone but built with better components, true-bypass ... etc. then I would suggest something like Retro-Sonic 808: http://www.retro-sonic.com/index2.php?v=v1

Whether anything sounds "that much better" is up to you to decide since the debate will rage on until the end of days.

4. alteredsounds

alteredsounds Member

If have been very happy with your ts9, then tbh no they prob wont sound lots better. I'd maybe demo some other pedals but I'll bet if you get something else, in time to come, you will be spending money chasing a sound in ur head that will be nothing more than what u are hearing now. If there are obvios faults in ur TS sound u can hear, maybe try looking at some mods to iron them out.

5. jhp612

jhp612 Member

Try an abunai 2. Its got 3 clipping modes and a lot of character. It'll at least give you a taste of what other homebrews are doing imo

6. joeschai

joeschai Member

I dunno jj. If you're happy with your TS, then keep your TS. Speaking from experience, you might burn through thousands of dollars looking for something really phenomenal when you've had something just as great to begin with.

7. jrm

jrm Member

I used a TS9dx for years (in the stock TS9 setup) but recently switched to a FD2. I really enjoy the differences of the FD2. But if you are happy, no need to change!

8. jjboogie

jjboogie Member

Good advice! I will say that I have never been like magically blown away by the Tubescreamer however I like it and it does the job I need. I would like to try out some stuff just to see what is out there.

I am a little weary of looking at demo stuff on youtube only because generally speaking the recording quality is extremely poor in my opinion therefore rendering the whole demo thing useless anyway! :NUTS

I will check out everyone's suggestions in due time though.

9. CWFurst

CWFurst Member

They are not that much better. Sometimes they just offer alternatives to vintage gear that is overpriced and unreliable. So in that sense they would be better. Tonally I think it's all in our heads.

10. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

it depends really, if you are happy you are happy, but since it's only around 50 bucks to have one modded, It's worth it to go that route I think to see what some of the differences are. Really I think it depends on how you use them and how adventerous you are. In my experience it's all interconnected, so whereas one guy might get the perfect sound with a regular TS and maybe a new speaker or elimination of a bright cap what have you another guy might need something from Pete Cornish to have it sound "right" or may avoid pedals altoegther and a tube tweek in the gain stage is perfect.

absolutely nothing is wrong with the regular TS sound, hell the Bad Monkey is a really popular pedal here and it's only 40 bucks, no need to spend a fortune to find the tone you want... and there's no reason not to spend a fortune either ;)

Really there's not a lot of difference in this hobby and say motorcycles or cars or something like that. We're just customising our rigs and being inspired to make music.

11. kldonegan

kldonegan Member

Honestly, it all depends on the situation and your rig. Don't get caught up in needing the more expensive thing, and do try and use something for more than a day to really get inside of what it can do. Most OD's are just a tweak away from sounding the same...

I've had 5 ODs in my life, and still have 3 of them. 2 are standard production and one is boutique.

12. TTrahan

TTrahan Member

My 2 cents...

There is nothing better than a tubescreamer, if you're looking for the tubescreamer tone. You can add things like truebypass, boost switch, etc. Additions like that can improve an already good pedal. I personally like the boost switch thing...

However, if you're not looking for the TS sound, than there are a ton of pedals out there that are worth exploring.

Moral being, the Tubescreamer isn't the only overdrive ever made, and its not the only sound out there.

13. rockster12

rockster12 Supporting Member

Well here is my 2cents. I have been playing for a very long time. I am fortunate to be in a position to afford pretty much any gear that I want. I play a couple time a week. Most every week. With that said, I have been hanging out on these forum pages for about 7 years now. I have tried alot of gear and after everything I've used and still use, I have put myself a board together of non boutique gear and through my amps and by my ears, I can dial in pretty much the same sounds as I can with my boutique gear. I think that 2 TS9's are a great set up. I think that a boss ds1 sounds as good as my crunch box.
    It is fun to try all the cool boutique stuff if you can afford it. Alot of the build quality and tone is excellent. But for a working musician that can sound good with most anything, it is a nice feeling to know that if your ts9 goes out or your dd5 goes out or whatever, you can go to the local music store and pick one up before your gig starts. And it won't break the bank.
    Now with that said, I think that Fulltone products are a fantastic product. everything sounds good. Pretty available and from a boutique perspective, very reasonably priced. It's obvious that Mike Fuller knows what a musician needs. And the FD II is a great overdrive. And it would be a good choice IMO.

14. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

There's a reason there are so many Tubescreamer clones... If you're happy, don't change.

I remember seeing the Hellecasters back in the mid '90s. Both John Jorgensen and Will Ray had tubescreamers at their feet - and the cheap potato bug verion! Custom G&L guitars, Matchless amplifiers, Ibanez TS-5 (I think that was the model) Tubescreamer. BTW, they both had awesome tone! :AOK

15. markophonic

markophonic Member

+1 on the Retro-Sonic eight-o-eight.

I have one and prefer it to a Tubescreamer.

It has an internal trim pot that allows you to adjust the midrange to your liking. May not mean much to some but a slight tweak makes it perfect for my rig.

[​IMG]

16. gregory49

gregory49 Member

as another option to add to your TS9 try a timmy by paul Cochrane. Just search his name get his contact number and order one. 100$.The Timmy is the most popular dirt pedal on here.

Don't get a Fulldrive II. I've tried TS9's that are way better then the FDII.

17. woude

woude Member

+1 on everything :BEER

18. Shawn3786

Shawn3786 Member

Could you explain to me the difference between a Tim and a Timmy? Thanks.

--Shawn

19. Lt_Core

Lt_Core Supporting Member

What about the Blues Pro Overdrive? I really want to try one of those. I didn't care for the mid-hump thinness of the TS-9.

20. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

If you like your tone then why change? The TS9 is a great tone, recorded on countless albums. However, for me the FullDrive 2 Anniv. MOSFET is a better fit, and gives me the great tone I desire. There are some Fulltone haters on this board, but it really seems to be a personal thing, not a product issue. Fulltone makes a great product and his service is pretty good too.
    Best Regards!