Boutique rat

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by it's been said, Mar 27, 2008.

1. it's been said

it's been said Member

what are some non ridiculously priced good rat clone's with high quality parts.

and do think this is a good way to go for a first distortion pedal?

2. thisfire

thisfire Supporting Member

3. jazzguitarplay

jazzguitarplay Member

4. Twin63

Twin63 Member

Another vote for the Keeley Rat. Very versatile with the 3-way toggle. It can get fat and smooth or raw and raunchy. You should be able to find a used one at a good price.

I would like to try the Lovekraft Chupacabra, though. If the tone and quality of my Mojo Drive is any indication, then it should be a great pedal.

5. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

I'm a big supporter of Ethan and Lovekraft. Although he uses a tone instead of a filter knob, I found NO difference in it's application. I a/b'ed his against my Freakshow Brown Rabbit and heard no difference.

They are both great, great pedals.

6. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Member

The Keeley-modded Vintage Rat was a staple of my tone for a long time. Easily my favorite distortion box of all time. However I'm pretty sure it bought it when my basement flooded, as now it's starting to buzz and cut out. I'm going to try to get it repaired, but in the meantime I ordered a Freakshow FX Brown Rabbit.

7. beachwail

beachwail Member

My vote:

BYOC mouse with 6-way clipping selector.

Can sound just like a vintage rat, turbo rat, and many other variations (some of which may be similar to Keeley's mods).

8. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Obviously more pricey but the Landgraf Mo'D is supposed to be the perfect Rat-esque pedal.

9. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

The BYOC Mouse looks like a great deal for the money with alot of different options available. Most likely will be my next pedal purchase. I had an old non LED big box Rat way back when and lately have been hankering for that sound again.:dude

10. Dave

Dave Member

I've owned the Mo'D, Brown Rabbit and Keeley Rat. The differences between them are very subtle and only nit-picky gear freaks like us would notice.

While I did like the Mo'D I couldn't justify keeping a $450 Rat clone when the Keeley and Brown Rabbit work just as well for 1/3 the price.

11. fyler

fyler Member

i'm very happy with my '91 Rat. boutique build quality, true bypass, sounds killer. :dude you can spend (a lot) more...but, IMO, you don't have to.

12. blackjack davey

blackjack davey Senior Member

The Brown Rabbit
    Hartman LM308 Op-Amp
    Beavis Audio FKR

13. j_m_s

j_m_s Member

Any clips for that lovekraft pedal?

14. gearboy

gearboy Member

If you can find one....the Ibanez FC10 Fat Cat. It IS a Rat. I plugged into mine the other day, and laughed at how I set the knobs on this exactly the same as I did with the Rat I owned....sounded just about identical.

15. btmish

btmish Member

The Brown Rabbit is pretty sweet. Or you could just go with an early Rat Reissue.

16. Twin63

Twin63 Member

www.lovekraft.net

Click on the Sound Check tab. He has a couple of clips of the Chupacabra.

17. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

+1 lovekraft chupacabra. got mine about a week ago and am having a hard time turning it off. great pedal!!!

jordan

18. kldonegan

kldonegan Member

I think a RAT is a great 1st distortion choice. It sounds great, and does good things from low gain all the way to fuzz.

That being said, why not go for an original mid-eighties RAT? They can be had for very decent prices if you shop around... I think I paid less than 100 bucks for mine. They sound great, and they're the exact thing that everyone else is trying to cop.

I'm a big fan of knowing the original before you step out into the boutique world, but I may be alone.

19. RDM

RDM Senior Member

BYOC Mighty Mouse with MO'D upgrades. It's like an extra $8 in parts.