Boutique Reverb Pedal Shootout

danonbass

Thanks for doing this review! Super helpful.

thesooze said:
the RRR actually left the signal pretty untouched.

thesooze said:
Dr. Scientist Radical Rverberator: This is a great, natural sounding unit. It won't do long long long decays like the Wet/Strymon stuff, but for amp-like reverbs, I thought it was one of the best.

These are exactly the things I love about the Mini RRR. Its the most natural sounding verb pedal I've ever heard. I keep it on 100% of the time on Plate #1 for a nice depth and decay that doesn't overwhelm. I have to admit though, I am looking at the Flint pretty hard.

minjason

excellent demo Sooze! I think overall, I liked the Flint and Wet the best...the Flint definitely seems to have more versatility, but that last ambient clip of the Wet is just beautiful.

thesooze

A lot of this is style-specific. How will you use the pedal? Ambient washes? Short decay, low mix? A little space or a cave of noise?

It's true of delays, drives, and on and on. Each have their merits (or they wouldn't be profitable to the companies) and excel at different things.

thesooze

Thanks for doing this demo, it's great! Dispatch Master for me.

Having the Dispatch in there is almost unfair since it has that gorgeous delay you can add in at the turn of a dial. Crank the feedback and it will sit on the edge of oscillation but never lose it's cool. It's just an awesome, awesome ambient machine... One I'll probably hang onto for a while.

Thanks, Nate! Of course, now I have gone from thinking I was good in the reverb department to thinking, "If I sell my Empress Trem and buy a Flint, would I sell the BSR too, or keep it...? Or should I get a Flint and a Dispatch Master and sell......."

thesooze

Thanks, Nate! Of course, now I have gone from thinking I was good in the reverb department to thinking, "If I sell my Empress Trem and buy a Flint, would I sell the BSR too, or keep it...? Or should I get a Flint and a Dispatch Master and sell......."

Oh no!!! Sorry meng :omg

stephenyi

Thanks for this mega reverb shootout. I'm getting GAS for the Flint now.

In my own mini-comparison, I much preferred the BSR to the HOF so I sold off the HOF.

stratguy23

Yeah, listening back I can hear the brightness of the Hall of Fame in some settings... Regarding the jack of all / master of none comment-- I can see that; but I like to have options, if one sound isn't working for me, I like to be able to go to the next one and give that a try. This is especially true in the studio. With the Toneprints, this makes the Hall of Fame nearly irreplaceable for me... This coming from a guy who loves the Timeline. I love tweaking to get things just right; and I love options.

So the Wet and the Dispatch Master are tough for me in this regard; no options past that one setting. They can get different sounds within their parameters, but not drastically different.

The other thing that is hard is that I've been gigging with the Hall of Fame for a good year now, and have really grown accustom to it's sound. I can hear how the Flint is just a better sounding unit all around (still has options), but there's a certain quality of the HOF that I just like... I've gotten used to it's sound so by default, other units will hit me as different than what I've known... just the nature of the beast I guess.

The HOF also excels at dark sounds, I just maybe went a little heavy on the bright sounds to try to match it with the Wet/BSR/RV5 I think.

The Hall of Fame is nice (I don't mean to sound snobby or bash it really bad). I had it for awhile and liked it, and it is by far the best, most versatile reverb in its price range (it can cover a lot of sounds in a very small package, and I agree, the toneprints are awesome!), but my main problem with it is/was the Spring sound could have been a lot better, and Spring is my favorite verb. In a band setting, the differences between the Flint and Hall of Fame are probably minimal, but I like that the Flint does trem as well and has the option of a preset.

jtaylor996

Fantastic demo. I've been thinking back and forth on whether to get the HOF or RRR. I'm so glad that I decided to get the Flint finally...

High Voltage

Really liked the Flint and Wet. I thought they blended with the dry signal and sounded very natural. The HoF sounded great too. The EQD pedal was a little over the top for me but sounds great for that kind of thing.

Most excellent demo. Really great post. thanks for this bit of reverb madness. I enjoyed the RRR the most, the EQD and the Wet. Flint and Blue sky, are just not my cup of tea. I must admit that RV-5 really stunk in comparison. :lol

all of them together was pretty excellent!

Windup 43

Silver Supporting Member
Really liked how the WET, Flint and RRR sounded in those clips- the long decay of the WET is pretty unmatched IMO. Was pleasantly surprised by the RRR, very nice indeed. Didn't care so much for the others- the HoF sounded maybe a bit flat to me? The RV-5 was downright harsh sounding. Thanks for the comparison, I'd love to hear a spring a/b as well...

95strat

Thanks so much for the review. I've been researching verb and it looks like it comes down to the Wet or the Flint for me. I'm really leaning toward the wet.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom