Bowie, Fripp, and "Heroes"

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by jbd3, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Member

There are more recent stretches of brilliance, too.

Heard 'Earthling'? More visionary and killer stuff. Right up there with his best work, imo, as is 'Outside', a really disturbing and creative concept thing (Eno produced).

Oh, and Scary Monsters is probably still my fave, too, if I could only pick one.

2. jbd3

jbd3 Please Don't Sell Me Any More Gear Silver Supporting Member

I've always felt like a big part of Bowie's genius was picking out the talent to help him make his vision real. He has been accompanied by an amazing run of guitar players. Who else could make incredible records with SRV and Reeves Gabrels?

3. Seakayak

Seakayak Supporting Member

By all accounts he's a very friendly, open person. I would guess the studio atmosphere he creates lets the musicians be at their creative best, and unique sounds and playing are the end result.

Scary Monsters blew my teenage mind.

4. RichardB

RichardB Senior Member

Classic song!! - but it has to hold the world record for the LAMEST lyric ever "written". Just mind-bendingly banal and plain DUMB!!!

5. Joe Robinson

Joe Robinson Gold Supporting Member

It's always different strokes isn't it? I really like the lyrics. "I wish I could swim, like Dolphins can swim" has always resonated with me. And the rest seems to capture that somewhat juvenile absolute feeling of being in love. Maybe it's too romantic, but I think it actually captures it in a cool way. LOVE that track, which along with "Ashes to Ashes" is my fave Bowie track.

ChampReverb likes this.
  6. phusana

phusana Member

I agree with Joe. Heroes is in my all time top 10 list. What one may see as banal, others may see the simple lyric as sublime. Bowie's vocal performance on the original recording completely sells it as a powerful, romantic song. The arrangement and instrumentation might also be seen as "simple" on the surface, but the performances and production are spot on. Bowie, Fripp and Eno tapped into some magic in those days.

7. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Member

8. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Bowie put out some incredible art music. I really love his efforts from start to finish from nearly every decade.

STATION TO STATION was on heavy play in my collection during my college years as was all of the Bowie catalogue.

9. jbd3

jbd3 Please Don't Sell Me Any More Gear Silver Supporting Member

I listened to the youtube version of "Heroes" someone posted here (and I vote for the lyrics being good) and just noticed the version here is different than the one on "Best Of Bowie," which is the version I know much better....

10. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

I, too, vote for the lyrics being good.

If I recall correctly, the single version chops out between 2 and 3 minutes of music, including an entire verse of lyrics.

11. twitch

twitch Member

Getting back to the guitar line, and e-bow or not etc., a few yearsa ago, when they did the Rockstar INXS show, one of the singers did a version of Heroes, which was really good, and the house band really did a great job with the music. The guitar line sounded similar to the studio version, and there was no e-bow. They released a rock-star INXS CD, and this version of heroes was on it. You can probably find it on you tube as well, I cannot look for it at work.

12. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

One of the highlights of Live Aid. Bowie got overwhelmed at the end.

13. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

No one's posted "Teenage Wildife"?!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9pByyFqrFI

I use my Musket for Fripp-y goodness. I never thought to use an eBow either, but I've also never thought to figure out the optimal distance between the guitar and speaker for optimal feedback/sustain for each freaking note. :) -E

Chrome Dinette likes this.
  14. dead of night

dead of night Member

So who wrote the riff? Bowie or Fripp?

15. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

Bowie gets sole songwriting credit but I've always assumed Fripp wrote his parts. -E

16. NoNoise

NoNoise Member

Such a cool story! Thanks!

17. zorak

zorak Member

Rem

And the 3 or 4 year period of the Talking Heads with Eno, Belew and everyone else: Fear of Music, Remain in Light and My Life in the Bush of Ghosts (solo).

This entire musical period was so experimental and fresh, from a pop music perspective. Amazing time.

chopsley likes this.
  18. wombat66

wombat66 Member

not to mention David Byrne's The Catherine Wheel with Eno and Belew (and seemingly influenced by Low and Heroes)

19. Jd3

Jd3 Member

Thank you sir -- somebody had to say it ! :mob

20. KRosser

KRosser Member

Indeed