box for recording direct?

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by lv, Feb 15, 2009.

1. lv

lv Supporting Member

can anyone recommend something i can use to record direct? something that has eq/voicing and can get some nice grind. anything other than the tech 21 stuff?

thanks

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

until mesa/boogie comes out with a separate bass preamp, the sansamp is the ticket.

3. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

Tronographic Rusty Box

http://www.tronographic.com/

Directly from the site:

"THE RUSTY BOX IS A PRE-AMP EFFECT PEDAL OPTIMIZED FOR BASS GUITAR. HAND-MADE IN THE PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF NYC, THE CONTROLS ON THE RUSTY BOX INCLUDE INPUT GAIN, BASS, MIDDLE AND TREBLE EQ, MASTER VOLUME AND A BOOST FOOTSWITCH. THE RUSTY BOX IS TRUE BYPASS AND HAS A BALANCED OUTPUT FOR USE AS A DIRECT BOX."

[​IMG]

4. guitargod0dmw

guitargod0dmw Member

I'd go with a DI like a Countryman or a Radial. Then get a decent tone in your mix down. If you need grind, a J bass, Stingray, or Warwick will be your best friend.

Guitarists always recommend Sans Amps. I'm not sure why. They're really not that great...they're noisy, and the tone shaping isn't all it's cracked up to be. Certainly anybody with some talent behind a board can get those sounds with just a DI'd bass going into the desk.

5. jay42

jay42 Member

Anyone ever like the Yamaha NE something or other that was a Nathan East pedal?

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

there arent any EQ options on the board?

i say get a great sounding tube DI (UA solo/610, aguilar db9??, demeter tube di, summit td100, etc.), and do the EQ'ing at the desk. works like a charm.

7. peridot1

peridot1 Member

I've heard folks get very good results with a UA solo 610. I have a summit audio TD100 but I prefer the sansamp VT Bass.

8. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

A simple, clean DI is always my first choice. Grind is a matter of preference and can be achieved with plug-ins or analog pedals. The all in one boxes give too many features and not enough pure sound quality. In a few rare cases, you can find a DI with a decent preamp/eq like the Sadowsky, but then you have a box that's specific to bass, whereas a good DI is useful for any line level source.

If cost is a primary concern, check out a Radial passive DI like the JD1. If you're aiming at something top of the line, check out the tube DI by Demeter or the A-Designs REDDI or the Avalon U5. The REDDI is generally considered the favorite among bassists but the Demeter & Avalon are studio standards and sound fantastic.

Once you have a great DI, go find your favorite flavor(s) of overdrive. I prefer analog pedals but there's nothing wrong with staying in the box and using a plug-in.

9. Sir M

Sir M Member

Demeter makes a DI box... Justin used one to record 10,000 Days.

10. pedalhead

pedalhead Member

if you want something different to the sansamp - being bass specific, have you thought about the MXR M80 bass DI+, or the Hartke VXL? there are a thousand different opinions on these on the talkbass and basschat forums.
    Sadowsky have recently introduced the tone hammer, but i don't have experience with that one, so i can't really comment on that.
    HTH

11. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

I have had nothing but great results every time w/ the SansAmp.

I owned the MXR M80 unit for several years and was never happy with it.

My $.02.

ac

12. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

If you can snag one, the Ampeg SVTDI box is pretty cool (it's a discontinued tube direct box). It doesn't have any EQ or anything on it though, so you'll have to use a DAW EQ to shape it to fit in the mix the right way.

13. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

Honestly, Amplitube v2 is great. If you take the time to play with it, you can dial in some passable tones.

Not the same as getting tones while recording (and being able to play off of/respond to the amp-sim) but it's worth looking at!