box of rock and OCD on the same board?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jimbo13, Feb 23, 2009.

1. jimbo13

jimbo13 Member

I am in need of a clean boost. I have an OCD already ( which I think is great and would not remove it from my board) but was thinking a Box of Rock might be a nice addition. The clean boost side( super hard on basically, right?) would cover the clean boost but the distortion side would also give me a Marshally channel also. My question is, if I have the OCD, is there any reason I would need the distortion from the BOR. From what I read, most people think it is one or the other for the these two pedals since they are supposedly similar.

2. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

Both. They are sort of similar.....but not really. Not redundant IMO.

I do like the BOR better though.

3. zosozep7

zosozep7 Silver Supporting Member

I think the BOR is boomier. I have had them on my pedalboard recently. Didnt experiment with them being on at the same time too often. What I do like is my BOR and my Maxon OD-9 combo. Killer!!

4. cube

cube Member

they play nice together ..and they stack well.. i had that combo for a while . kept the BOR ..sold the OCD

5. eclipseall

eclipseall Member

they sound nothing alike to me. the ocd has way more gain and output than the BoR which is cleanner. the OCD has more of a Vox tone the BoR is more low gain Marshall.

I have both and they are apples and oranges.

6. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Silver Supporting Member

I use both, they are very different as noted above.

7. srslots

srslots Member

I use both as well. BOR into my OCD. They are different. With my strat into a rambler, the OCD gives me a higher gain, edgier sound. The BOR gives me a rounded, classic marshall sound. Both different beasts.

They do stack well too. I often use the boost alone, and then will also use it going into the OCD to thicken it up for solos.

I prefer the OCD overall though. To me the BOR is a little flubbier when fully cranked. Part of me loves it, the other part of me thinks a Super Duper 2 in 1 would have been better for my needs...

8. Kieran H

Kieran H Member

I have both on my board, i Love both of them equally and individually :)

9. alguit

alguit Member

Another thumbs up for stacking them, AND the Box of Rock clean boost alone is wonderful!