Box of Rock Boost Question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Archangelyabbo, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Archangelyabbo

Archangelyabbo Member

If I want to use the Boost side of the box of rock for a solo on another pedal, do I want the BoR in front of that pedal or behind it in the chain?

Thanks,
    A_Y_

2. Archangelyabbo

Archangelyabbo Member

Crap....posted in the wrong section....
    :(

3. Lublin

Lublin Senior Member

I'd put the pedal you're boosting in front of it in the chain.

4. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

Agree with Lublin, after the other pedal. I do this a lot with my BOR cause it combines great with the first gain bump of a Fulldrive II. With a Blue Collar feeding into it, it's infinite sustian hang on for your life. I really like the BOR it's marvelous.

5. Archangelyabbo

Archangelyabbo Member

thanks for the reply.

Are you using the BoR boost after the Fulldrive or the main dirt side?

How do you like the Fulldrive II?

How are you using it in your music?

6. jaydub69

jaydub69 Member

I used to put the BOR in front of my TS. This way I could get the TS to drive harder if I wanted. Great boost.

7. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

I freely combine the BOR boost with pretty much anything on my little pedal board. One of my favorites combos is the first gain stage of the Fulldrive II in comp cut mode, with the BOR boost. This makes a really fat driving lead sound with some sustain, but still not too gooshy. The BOR boost combines pretty well with a Carl Martin Compressor too. I like the BOR right side or gain side, more by itself, but I'll use the two together here and there, but with an amp already breaking up a little, it's not as distinct as the FDII/BOR combo.

These O.D. voices are used for blues and rock single note and crunched rhythm.

The Fulldrive II is a really versatile, tricked out tube screamer circuit with a boost, and it works really well with a lot of different amps running at different gain levels. It's an older pedal now, not flavor of the month, but it's a brick house solid tool for a lot of guitarists.

If I want total sustain, I'll go with the Blue Collar overdrive, which can go there by itself, but the BOR boost will widen up it's frequency band a little. But then I have to dial back the Blue Collar a lot.

The way I combine these O.D.s is really dependent on what guitar I'm using, I tend to really use more combos with stock output Fender pickups, than what is needed with humbuckers or P-90 guitars.

The BOR boost also works great on it's own into a clean channel, adding a little British gritty chime, or emphasizing it, cause it's already there in my amp, Guytron Gt-100. Altogether the BOR has a great Marshally voice on the right, and then a very well voiced and tractable boost on the left. I enjoy the thing quite a bit.