Box of Rock Boost VS Fulldrive2 Comp Cut

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by impactblue, Mar 19, 2008.

1. impactblue

impactblue Member

Who prefers which for solo boosts and goosing?!?

2. d-b

d-b Member

I have both and prefer the FD2 Comp cut for solos but for goosing another pedal for heavier crunchy rythym I love the BOR Boost!

3. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

Ditto here

4. impactblue

impactblue Member

Sick...

Anyone ever tried a BoR boost into a BoR? lol

5. d-b

d-b Member

actually yes! I have a super duper 2in1 which is like having two channels of boost in front of the BOR. So I can do BOR, then use its boost, then boost it, then boost it again. these are both ZVex and the boost channels are based on the super hard on.

6. kidmandude

kidmandude Supporting Member

Fulldrive2 Comp Cut! works very well with single coils, i use it for ryhthem mostly, with a Keeley 1st Generation Time Machine for punching solo's. The Fulltone is a great pedal the boost is good for harder dynamic parts in songs for boosting up the drive, and i was very pleased on the price tag too!!

7. impactblue

impactblue Member

How does the BoR sound when goosed with the Super Hard on??

8. d-b

d-b Member

I have the Super Duper 2in1 but that is two channels of SHO. I love it. I keep the first boost channel of the SD on all the time cause it gives some fatness and top end sparkle. Once the BOR is engaged the other channel of the SD is great to boost on top. It retains the low end and really pushes the amp without getting to compressed.

9. kidmandude

kidmandude Supporting Member

what tubes are you running in the amp?

10. gibson60

gibson60 Member

Never tried the BOR but I love the CompCut on my Fulldrive. I use it for solos for Classic rock stuff or thicken up the rhythm on more modern stuff. Then I switch on the boost for modern rock solo stuff. All with an LP with Skatterbrane A5 pups into a Budda SDII 30 watt.

11. ARch

ARch Member

Make sure you guys add in which position you use the FD2 Comp Cut (in front of or behind OD, or just goosing an amp into OD), it's hard to tell sometimes.

I run an FD2 into an OCD, into a BoR. BoR boost is always on b/c I love the slight color on it, and the FD2 is for throwing it into OD.

12. impactblue

impactblue Member

Does anyone feel that when you feed a CompCut FDII into an overdrive pedal....the tone becomes too hi-fi and processed? It makes it more saturated yes....but I feel it thins out the tone...?

13. bradw

bradw Member

ARch, so the BoR boost is always on. Just curious as to what combinations of the other pedals (and the distortion of the BoR) you use and for what application. I've got much the same set up but haven't found the sweet spot yet into my DRRI.

Thanks,

Brad

14. d-b

d-b Member

Yes...to me it gets really compressed sounding, less dynamic...man I hate trying to describe sounds!

15. vintage66

vintage66 Member

I run the FDII last in my line of od's since the comp-cut works as a boost-works well after my Direct Drive or just by itself. A boost into an od just doesn't have any cut.

16. impactblue

impactblue Member

The BoR Boost is a MUCH MORE transparent than the comp cut when used as a volume boost...

The Comp-Cut boosts the volume and gives the tone a "FDII-iness"

17. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

Word... and who has time to get down on one knee and pull the comp cut knob or flip the tiny switch from FM to Vintage to Compcut just for a clean boost. I like the FD2, nice generic overdrive. Everyone here has owned one but it's not a good clean boost.

The BOR was made for a Marshall... check the ZVEX clips...they're very honest . I keep my gain on the BOR high and use my vol knob to control distortion level. This is where the BOR shines. It also has A LOT more gain and vol on tap than any other OD/distortion pedal I've tried. I don't mean to say this is a high gain pedal but a very loud OD pedal with good marshall like distortion. Don't take anyone's word for it. Listen to the ZVEX clips...

18. impactblue

impactblue Member

Man...I wasn't liking the BoR as a standalone distortion....but MAN!!!!

I got it figured out...it sounds SICK after my Fulldrive 2, using the BoR like an amp.....the trick was to keep the gain low and the tone lower.....The two pedals compliment each other sooo well...smooth, singing, blossoming lead tone.....!!