Box of Rock,Crunch box or Others in front of Deluxe

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rbuono, Mar 16, 2008.

1. rbuono

rbuono Member

Hi is anyone using these or other similar distortion type pedal in front of a Tweed Deluxe or clone. I'm thinking of building a 5e3 but was wondering how versatile I can make it with the right pedals. I have a King of Tone on order and should be getting close to the ship date so I'll definitely give that a shot. Anyone?

Thanks

2. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

I have a BF Deluxe that the Crunch Box sounds great with. I didn't like the BoR. I also have a King Of Tone and think it works great with the Crunch Box.

3. rbuono

rbuono Member

Thanks. I'm looking for input on Tweed Deluxe. Such a different animal from a BF Deluxe. I am psyched for my KOT as I have heard that with lots of amps and I'm pretty sure it will sound great with a Tweed too.

I think alot of Tweed purists end up using the guitar volume and amp to get their OD but I'm sure there's somebody out there doing this.

4. Dave

Dave Member

I don't know how much experience you have with a 5E3, you may already know this, but it's a very dynamic amp that typically doesn't have a lot of high end.

What I like is to set the amp dirty and use the guitar's volume to clean it up. If you set a Deluxe at just the right spot you don't even need to use the guitar's volume knob to get cleans, you can just pick more softly. Then, for more distortion I like a treble booster or an OD with plenty of available high end. The less compressed the better IMO. Some that have worked well for me:

ThroBak Flash Drive
    Skreddy Screw Driver (roll off some low end and turn up the brilliance, works great)
    RC Booster
    Timmy

Basically anything that's not compressed, doesn't have a mid hump and has plenty of available high end will work well, especially if the amp is breaking up or on the edge.

There's lots of Deluxe users around here. I'm sure you'll get many more helpful suggestions.

Good luck and have fun.

5. alnico2

alnico2 Member

Hotcake, Timmy/Tim, and clean boost pedal have worked best for me. Someone else have any suggestions?

6. steinwand

steinwand Member

for versatility: Catalinbread Silverkiss MK2

7. erikm5150

erikm5150 Member

Just curious, how do you use them together? stacked?
    i have a CB and am thinking about getting a KOT.
    Thanks.

8. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

Yeah, my KoT is a Ver. 2 so I only have one channel at a time, I usually use it on the red channel for a light OD, then kick in the crunchbox for heavier riffs and leads. Sounds great.

9. JIMIFAN59

JIMIFAN59 Member

Hey Bob...I play a strat thru a Valvetrain 5e3. Most of my distortion/overdrive comes from the amp (I set it to 7's accross the board in the bright channel high-no jumper).
    I use a Clark Gainster (the handwired one) to get a 5e3 on steroids tone almost marshally for my 2nd stage heavy rythm tone and an Analogman TS-808 for leads. Both work excellent with the circuit, no mud and you will get every tone your looking for.....There are a lot of combinations here.

Hope this helps...Good luck!!

10. teXum

teXum Member

Have a KoT, BoR and a Victoria 5112. My honest opinion is that you need to try some of these options for yourself. Between all these pedals mentioned here, and a "typical" tweed deluxe, there are so many shades of tones and colours, especially in the mids, that may or may not go along with your ideas of great tones. The pedals mentioned, for example BoR, KoT, Crunch Box, Timmy, RC Booster, SilverKiss; I mean, they are really not that alike, so I'm guessing Different Strokes for Different Folks (and amps), right?

First decide what you want, how much gain, more lows, low-mids, high-mids and so on. Then it becomes easier to hunt.

My preference with low powered tweeds is pedals that are rather uncolored in the mids, but as always DSfDF :AOK