1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Box of Rock has HUGE low end...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cbpickin, Oct 6, 2006.

1. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I just got my Box of Rock today and I really like the gain level, but I am finding the bottom is just too full for me. Granted I've only used it for a very short time but I tried it through my Fargen Blackbird (30 watt 4x6v6) my '66 SR and my 90's Super 112 w/JBL K120. The low end is pretty overpowering to me with the gain turned up.
    I like the crunch it has with the drive cranked and the tone at 2 o'clock or so. I also like the breakup at some of the lower gain stages like 12 o'clock, but I am finding there is just a little too much bass and it can't really be dialed out with the tone knob.
    I know the pedal was intended for a Marshall style amp, so I'm wondering if my Fender type amps aren't a good match.
    Everyone is raving about this pedal, so has anyone else had a similar experience?

2. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

I found it really huge myself... I was playing it through G12H30's in a 4x12 cab as well... but it is tight... and I love ass end... so it wasn't really a problem.

The low-end gets a little less present as you turn the volume up though... and the tone control will thin it out a bit... I recommend dialing the bass back on your amps EQ to compensate if it is that big of a deal.

Great low-end though... tight, defined...

-TJK

3. cbpickin

Yeah, I'm thinking it may be a little much for my 1x12's. I didn't get it up that loud yet either, not even rehearsal volume at this point.

4. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I'm running it primarilly through a Fender DeVille going through an oversized 2x12 pine cab. So I know what 'bass heavy' is ;)
    I haven't encountered any overpowering bottom, but I usually play with the bass control on the amp set at 10 o'clock, and I had the mid-pot wiper mod done to have more control over the bass.

And TJK is right- the louder I crank my amp, the tighter the BoR sounds.

-Ben

5. newstrat60

newstrat60 Member

The bass "oommph" that the BOR delivers is IMO one of the reasons that makes the "ROCK" thing happen in this box

6. gooma

gooma Member

I think that the huge low end was part of the reason why the BOR didnt work for me.
    I`m running a Bass Plexi through a H series scumback, so there is a ton of low end on tap allready. I think the BOR just had too much for my setup, it seemed kinda loose and a bit fuzzy on the low end. I dont think my open back cab helped this issue either.

I have no doubts that with the right setup it would work well, it had just the right amount of gain for me but i had to move it on.

7. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

It sounds great with my 1x12's......turn it up! :D

8. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Yep, I prefer there to be only a small boost in lows. I set my amp with the eq I dig for an overall sound, so I want my OD/distortions to not have a real drastic change in EQ.

If you're interested in a great pedal that's along the lines of the BOR, the BJF Dyna Red has a slight boost in bass, but is just right IMO. The bass content make the DRD great for stacking behind my Eternity, w/the DRD set for a slight boost and hardly any drive (basically a preamp behind the Eternity). It works killer for this.

I've not actually played the BOR yet, but it seems to be going after the same type of tone. I can't see Zack getting something wrong though. I'm real interested in trying one out.

9. drolling

drolling Member

If this thing's got more bass than a HoneyBee, it'd be too rich for my blood as well - Can't imagine needing mo' fat than the Bee dishes up..

10. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

It does not have more bass than the Honey Bee, and it has a clearer top end.

-Ben

11. cbpickin

I've got the Bee and the DRD. I like stacking the DRD into either the HB or the Tim. The Tim gives the DRD a little more... clarity for lack of a better word. It fattens/tightens up the low end and makes the highs a little crisper and more defined. The DRD and and BoR are very different. The DRD has much more gain on tap, the BoR is after the JTM45 type of gain and it does it pretty convincingly.
    The fact that I already have the DRD is part of the reason why I'm not keeping the BoR, but it is a very cool pedal. It has tons more low end than the HB. The BoR is not dark at all, it just has a ton of thump in the bottom, which is what a lot of people probably like about it. It was just too much for me.

12. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I was running the Bee with the Nature knob at 10-11 o'clock and it had more bass than the BoR which I have running with the tone knob at 3 o'clock. With my amps and guitars, the Bee had more low end... a bit muddy at times, but that's the nature of that pedal. Amps used include a '67 Bassman, '76 Silverface Twin, modded DeVille, unmodded DeVille, and a Fender Two-Tone.

I think we may chalk up our differences to our different rigs, cbpickin!

-Ben

13. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Sorry! I apologize... I got confused in typing too quickly while trying to keep an eye out for my supervisor ;)

I did mean that the Bee has MORE bass, and I just edited that post to correct that.

I do however think the bass thing is a bit different with the 2 pedals on another level too; the Bee had this fat, encompassing bass response that increased pretty dramatically when turning Nature knob turned counter-clockwise. The BoR's seems to be more of the 'thump' / 'large cab' type bass response that doesn't trapse into the low-mids / mids like the Bee's did. Kinda like the Tube Zone or ReezaFRATzitz, but not nearly the amount of thump/bass that they have.

-Ben

14. cbpickin

Yeah, I agree with that. That is what I meant re: the BoR, more thump. Again, that is what it is going for I think. That 4x12 cab sound. The Bee is definitely darker and muddier, and that is what it is going for too.

15. zachary vex

zachary vex Member

i suppose i've always had a thing for J-Lo.

there's tons of distortion units out there. there's something for everyone! 8^)

16. zenfreud

zenfreud Member

I gave the BOR a quick try-out and couldn't quite find the sound I was hoping I'd find. The amp and guitar I played at the store were less than ideal, but I did have my OCD on hand for reference and overall I preferred the tone of the OCD (V1). I love the sound of the BOR in the factory video, just killer, but I play a Strat and I didn't find a magic spot in my admittedly short demo.

The independent boost is a nice feature, it adds versatility and really pushed the OCD nicely. I thought I had read that the boost can precede the overdrive effect which would give it a lot more overdrive (is this true?), but I was mainly interested in hearing each function independently.

I understand the reason why the two 'crackle ok' gain pots make noise when they're adjusted, but I really don't like hearing that kind of sound when I'm trying to focus on music, it's annoying. I ended up turning down the volume before adjusting the gain and then turning it back up, hoping the drive was at a level I liked.

I'll probably give it another try-out, but the BOR wasn't the 'gotta have it' that I thought it would be.

17. Em3m3

Em3m3 Member

I think almost every man has a thing for J-Lo. :drool

18. utterhack

utterhack Member

I find the bottom stays a lot tighter if you're playing through a clean amp. If the amp's already driven it will get looser.