Box of Rock into a DRRI clip

Blues Jr

Here's a little clip i put together this afternoon of the Box of Rock through my DRRI. I read a few posts asking what the BOR sounds like through a Fender, so i put this quick one together. Excuse the sloppy playing LOL
The BOR is not just for Marshalls, sounds pretty good through a Fender too:BEER

Box of Rock volume & boost @ 9 o'clock, tone @ noon, gain @ 1 o'clock.
DRRI volume @ 2.5, treble @5 bass @3 no verb.
Guitar was Gibson Les Paul DC P90.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6209262

First part is the BOR without boost. Second softer part shows how the picking dynamics are, and how nicely this pedal cleans up. The last part i have the boost engaged.

Enjoy. Discuss.
wave.gif

Ben C.

Very cool and nicely done...
It sounded very thin though... not like the BoR I heard through my DeVille 1/2 stack, '76 Twin, or '67 Bassman. It sounded very big and thick through those. Through the DRRI it sounds more like a Red Snapper. What mic did you use?

Tbone135

Thanks for posting this. I've been debating for awhile over which pedal to get for my DRRI between a BOR and an OCD.

Blues Jr

Very cool and nicely done...
It sounded very thin though... not like the BoR I heard through my DeVille 1/2 stack, '76 Twin, or '67 Bassman. It sounded very big and thick through those. Through the DRRI it sounds more like a Red Snapper. What mic did you use?

Thanks. The BOR does sound huge with the volume up. I recorded the clips at low volumes. Kids, wife you know the drill LOL
What i like about this pedal is that it keeps the sound of the guitar & amp intact. You can hear that sparkle from the DRRI in there.

The mic? A very bad condenser mic from my Zoom recorder. Im sure a better mic would get a much better result.

Blues Jr

Thanks for posting this. I've been debating for awhile over which pedal to get for my DRRI between a BOR and an OCD.

Thanks. I had an OCD. The BOR and OCD are very similar in the way it cleans up, and picking dynamics. Maybe the OCD was a little better in that respect. I found the OCD a little to fizzy in the top end with the gain up, and very transparent. The OCD is more distortion IMO, the BOR more overdrive & crunch. I had V2 though. Haven't tried the newer versions yet.

Ben C.

Thanks. The BOR does sound huge with the volume up. I recorded the clips at low volumes. Kids, wife you know the drill LOL
What i like about this pedal is that it keeps the sound of the guitar & amp intact. You can hear that sparkle from the DRRI in there.

The mic? A very bad condenser mic from my Zoom recorder. Im sure a better mic would get a much better result.
Man - I KNOW the drill ;)
And yes, I'm sure a better mic would give a little more oomph, too.
It's always nice to have more clips!

Jason Lynn

I just demo'd the BOR a couple of hours ago at the local shop. I had a G&L strat running through a DRRI oddly enough. It did not blow me way with that combination. Plenty of dB boost in that box but not near as much grit on tap as i thought it would have. With a strat in hand it looks more like you'd be overdriving the amp more than using the BOR to get your distortion. Not a big deal but not what I was expecting from the pedal.

Jason Lynn

nice demo btw...sounded pretty accurate to my experience today minus the p90 beef you're getting of course

Blues Jr

I just demo'd the BOR a couple of hours ago at the local shop. I had a G&L strat running through a DRRI oddly enough. It did not blow me way with that combination. Plenty of dB boost in that box but not near as much grit on tap as i thought it would have. With a strat in hand it looks more like you'd be overdriving the amp more than using the BOR to get your distortion. Not a big deal but not what I was expecting from the pedal.

nice demo btw...sounded pretty accurate to my experience today minus the p90 beef you're getting of course

Thanks. Before i recorded this clip with the Gibson, i was playing my Strat with it through my DRRI. The funny thing about the BOR, at least what i find through the DRRI is that it basically takes what the amp & guitar gives you and just pushes it a little harder. It keeps the tone of the guitar & amp intact without coloring it,or goosing it into distortion.

Higher output pickups like HB's & P90 will drive a little harder as you can hear with my clip. Tele's a little less, and low output Strat pickups (my Strat bridge is 6.25 K) even less. What it does sound like is an old single ended amp really pushed hard.

When i played earlier, i instantly thought of Rory Gallagher live Irish Tour tone. Clangy, bitchy Strat tone:AOK

IbanezAFS75

Gold Supporting Member
oh man, that sounds excellent!

I think i may have just found an OD for my DRRI, thanks for clips; great playing.

sega

The BOR is not just for Marshalls, sounds pretty good through a Fender too:BEER

Box of Rock volume & boost @ 9 o'clock, tone @ noon, gain @ 1 o'clock.
DRRI volume @ 2.5, treble @5 bass @3 no verb.
Guitar was Gibson Les Paul DC P90.
Enjoy. Discuss.
wave.gif

Really like the clip, thanks...
One thing I want to get out of my mind before buying it...Can you demo with the gain all the way up?

Since I'm using a Fender with 6k pups, I need to hear it on the gain full.
If you could pull a simple lead riff would be great.

You are a great help...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom