Box of Rock into a DRRI clip

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Blues Jr, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Blues Jr

Blues Jr Supporting Member

Here's a little clip i put together this afternoon of the Box of Rock through my DRRI. I read a few posts asking what the BOR sounds like through a Fender, so i put this quick one together. Excuse the sloppy playing LOL
    The BOR is not just for Marshalls, sounds pretty good through a Fender too:BEER

Box of Rock volume & boost @ 9 o'clock, tone @ noon, gain @ 1 o'clock.
    DRRI volume @ 2.5, treble @5 bass @3 no verb.
    Guitar was Gibson Les Paul DC P90.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6209262

First part is the BOR without boost. Second softer part shows how the picking dynamics are, and how nicely this pedal cleans up. The last part i have the boost engaged.

Enjoy. Discuss.[​IMG]

2. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Very cool and nicely done...
    It sounded very thin though... not like the BoR I heard through my DeVille 1/2 stack, '76 Twin, or '67 Bassman. It sounded very big and thick through those. Through the DRRI it sounds more like a Red Snapper. What mic did you use?

3. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

Thanks for posting this. I've been debating for awhile over which pedal to get for my DRRI between a BOR and an OCD.

4. Dave

Dave Member

Nice demo, thanks. What kind of speaker(s)?

5. soldano16

soldano16 Member

6. Blues Jr

Thanks. The BOR does sound huge with the volume up. I recorded the clips at low volumes. Kids, wife you know the drill LOL
    What i like about this pedal is that it keeps the sound of the guitar & amp intact. You can hear that sparkle from the DRRI in there.

The mic? A very bad condenser mic from my Zoom recorder. Im sure a better mic would get a much better result.

7. Blues Jr

Thanks. My DRRI has a Jensen P12Q reissue.

8. Blues Jr

Thanks. I had an OCD. The BOR and OCD are very similar in the way it cleans up, and picking dynamics. Maybe the OCD was a little better in that respect. I found the OCD a little to fizzy in the top end with the gain up, and very transparent. The OCD is more distortion IMO, the BOR more overdrive & crunch. I had V2 though. Haven't tried the newer versions yet.

9. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Man - I KNOW the drill ;)
    And yes, I'm sure a better mic would give a little more oomph, too.
    It's always nice to have more clips!

10. Jason Lynn

Jason Lynn Member

I just demo'd the BOR a couple of hours ago at the local shop. I had a G&L strat running through a DRRI oddly enough. It did not blow me way with that combination. Plenty of dB boost in that box but not near as much grit on tap as i thought it would have. With a strat in hand it looks more like you'd be overdriving the amp more than using the BOR to get your distortion. Not a big deal but not what I was expecting from the pedal.

11. Jason Lynn

Jason Lynn Member

nice demo btw...sounded pretty accurate to my experience today minus the p90 beef you're getting of course

12. Blues Jr

Thanks. I gotta get me a good mic some day:AOK

13. Blues Jr

Thanks. Before i recorded this clip with the Gibson, i was playing my Strat with it through my DRRI. The funny thing about the BOR, at least what i find through the DRRI is that it basically takes what the amp & guitar gives you and just pushes it a little harder. It keeps the tone of the guitar & amp intact without coloring it,or goosing it into distortion.

Higher output pickups like HB's & P90 will drive a little harder as you can hear with my clip. Tele's a little less, and low output Strat pickups (my Strat bridge is 6.25 K) even less. What it does sound like is an old single ended amp really pushed hard.

When i played earlier, i instantly thought of Rory Gallagher live Irish Tour tone. Clangy, bitchy Strat tone:AOK

14. hamfist

hamfist Member

These clips just remind me of why I regret selling my BoR. I must get another one day soon.

15. IbanezAFS75

IbanezAFS75 Member

oh man, that sounds excellent!

I think i may have just found an OD for my DRRI, thanks for clips; great playing.

16. Blues Jr

Thanks. You just might like it:BEER

17. sega

sega Member

Really like the clip, thanks...
    One thing I want to get out of my mind before buying it...Can you demo with the gain all the way up?

Since I'm using a Fender with 6k pups, I need to hear it on the gain full.
    If you could pull a simple lead riff would be great.

You are a great help...