Box of Rock vs. BB vs. Crunch Box

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mds, Jan 25, 2008.

1. mds

mds Member

Hey guys,

I hate the search engine here...can't search "vex" "box" "BB" "MI" or anything else useful...I guess I should only be looking at menatone pedals...haha

Anyways, I've got a Crunch Box and a BB. Curious how a BOR will fit with or replace these. I'm so-so about both these pedals...seem good on some days, not so much on others. The CR is good when I need a big 80s rock solo sound, but thats pretty rare for me (studio and live player). Could those of you who have experience with the BOR make some comparisions for me?

Thanks!

Mike

2. utterhack

utterhack Member

Have you investigated the "search forums using Google" option?

anyhoo... I posted this back in March and I'd stand by it...

these are VERY different boxes. Not really a lot of overlap and in many ways very complementary. (It's not entirely true to say that the CB picks up where the BOR leaves off, but it's close enough for rock'n'roll.)

The BOR is a really handy low/mid-gain OD that seems to work best with darker amps - didn't really get along that well with a SF Princeton, does fine with the AC30, LOVES the '66 Jet. It also prefers a clean amp - it's when the amp is already near or over the edge that you get the flubbiness in the lows that people complain about. Also, it does just fine with a Tele (rolling off the tone a little helps the get along) but prefers an LP.

So the BOR: great for that barely-there hint of dirt to blooz to Angus and even Priest (with a goose from ye Rangemaster). It seems odd to describe a pedal featuring Teh Distortron Engine as "subtle," but there are a lot of shades of gain in that Drive knob, as well as a very useful Tone control. Onboard boost packs a lot of versatility into a very small package, making it a great "just bring one" pedal. But maybe not the one pedal I'd bring if I were playing a Tele into a Princeton.

The Crunch Box takes the BOR's refined versatility and shoves it right up your ass. Like anyone who's tried one sez, it's a one-trick pony... but that pony kicks like a mule. ROCK ROCK ROCK, bitches.

With the gain set very low, the Crunch Box does a fair impression of an OD, though not a very refined one (you wouldn't want to do e.g. an arpeggiated rhythm line - nasty artifacts as one note decays into another). It doesn't give a **** about subtlety, and it's my current favorite for flat-out grins - Priest through EVH, and I still haven't had a reason to turn the gain past noon. Note that the Crunch Box is a high-gainer but not a "metal pedal" - it's a mid-rich "brown" sound, not a scooped "modern" one.

A lot more compressed/less dynamic than the BOR but, y'know duh - gain = compression, and there's a lot to be had here. It can definitely get a little congested, but a tweak of the Tone control usually does the trick - I wonder if there's an LED-clipping variation of the TS circuit hiding in there [​IMG]

So both "Marshall-in-a-Box" types, but very different philosophies and very different applications.

I'll try to add a few more thoughts and specifics, but that should be enough to get this party started [​IMG]

3. mds

mds Member

Thanks for your thoughts, very helpful...The Google Search is great, but AFAIK I can't limit the search to a specific forum or to titles only, so its a lot to sift through...

4. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

What do you think of a BOR into a Fender Twin Reverb? I have a BRUNETTI MILLE that has the same vocie, not so much bass. I use a HAO SOLE PRESSURE to add more bass... Maybe the BOR would do the same...

5. utterhack

utterhack Member

Couldn't tell ya, since I've never tried it, but others on this board claim good results. ymmv.

6. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

Good news!...I have a KOTB but I has too much gain for my taste even if a low gain it really shines!

7. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

8. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

Man I really love the BB. I owned a Box of Rock and ended up selling it, I just did not get along with it. The Box of Rock is two Sho circuits with filtering, and it reminded me of an SHO with more switchs and knobs. Buy it and give it a try out, it may be what you are looking for, lots of people rave about it.