Box Of Rock V's OCD. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TheGigPig, Mar 30, 2008.

1. TheGigPig

TheGigPig Member

I would love to hear from anyone who's had both of these. They both seem to tick alot of boxes for me but also seem to cover fairly similar ground. Which one stacks better? Which one sounds better into a Fender? Marshall? Vox?
    Thanks

2. cube

cube Member

they stack well with each other.. then i got rid of my OCD

3. marmelade sky

marmelade sky Member

4. TheGigPig

TheGigPig Member

That's great. By the looks of things they both have their strengths with different amps which is what I thought. My main amp at the moment is a Two-Rock Jet so I'm leaning towards a BOR to start but I'm sure I'll end up with both.

Thanks guys

5. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

all pedals have their own vibe...was way into the crunch box but did a shoot out with an origianl menatone king of the britains.....different pedals but lik the mentaone this week..lol

6. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

I own both, having just bought an OCD after all this time reading reviews and wondering if it oculd be as good as they all say. I've gigged both a few times.

Both are excellent pedals, but I play strats mainly thourgh Fender amps and I woud say that the OCD wins hands down in that arena. As some other people have said, maybe if you play though Marshalls or with humbuckers then the BoR would be better.

I use the OCD for my lower gain sounds (I use an EMMA Reezafratzitz for my "Marshall" type sounds - and by the way, I think the EMMA is a far superior overdrive to either the BoR or the OCD). I replaced a Keeley BD2 with the OCD and I have to say that I'm absolutely lovin it.

On the other hand, I've never really bonded with my BoR and consider buying it to have been a mistake. I'm going to give it another chance though, but it doesn't seem to do either mild or heavy distortion in my rig as well as the EMMA or the OCD.

7. impactblue

impactblue Member

As a standalone od/distortion the OCD is better...but i like the BoR more because it has a boost and i use it as a gain stage before my amp, that I feed my overdrive into to get fatter tone.

8. TheGigPig

TheGigPig Member

Mmmm... that's interesting. I have the Reeza and while I do realy like it, it's a bit mid scooped to use with the Two-Rock. Sounds great with the Marshall and the Vox. If I could tweak the mids in it It would be outstanding and would never leave my board. I think it stacks better than any other OD i've tried. My Plosive May Booster into it is simply the most ridiculous lead tone ever, but can't get past the mid scooped thing.
    At the moment I'm using a ThroBak OD and a Hoochie Mama for a couple of different flavours of low gain OD, KOT in distortion mode for a higher gain tone which sounds incredible into the Two-Rock, but I'm looking for that elusive grind Marshall type tone to compliment the KOT. I use a LovePedal Balance boosting an Langraf MOD for my ultra heavy tone which truly sounds evil.
    Famous last words but I think if I can crack this Marshall grind tone from a pedal I'll be done.
    It NEEDS to be stackable tho. Driving my OD's with a TB is one of my favourite things ever.
    Is there anything obvious that I might have missed?
    I have all the fuzz's in the world, and other things I've tried include eternity ( one of my faves in my Vox but lacking in bottom end for the Jet), TBIAC, CarCrash, Keeley BD2 (which I love as a low gain type thing but not grind) Red Snapper, Homebrew Big 'D', HotCake, MoD, Balance, (as stated above, together is where they realy shine for me), and a stack of others that elude my fragile mind for the moment.
    Any suggestions ??

9. TheGigPig

TheGigPig Member

So I think the OCD into EL84 amps seems to be a winner. In fact I have heard an OCD into my old AC10 and it did sound incredible.

I can feel a shootout coming on!