Box Of Rock Vs. Ocd

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ptdesign, Sep 26, 2006.

1. ptdesign

ptdesign Handmade sonic art

I have a 500k OCD and i'm gassin' hard for the BoR Vexter. I play semi hollow's with p-90's into a HRDX. Money's tight so I'd appreciate some sane advice. Rite now I have a couple of fuzzes that run into a Blues Pro (1458)then to my OCD. I use both the BP and OCD for light to med OD and stack them for distortion. I'm not thrilled with my OCD as someone in the other BoR thread said in a comparison: "It's kinda sterile" I'm looking for a side by side comparison. Please keep in mind I'm running into a clean HRDX. :confused:

2. zachary vex

zachary vex Member

i probably sound like an idiot, but what's an HRDX?

3. Andy J.

Andy J. Member

I've often wondered the same thing, and came to the conclusion that it's a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, correct me if I'm wrong...

4. plinky

plinky Member

Hot Rod Deluxe?

5. plinky

plinky Member

Ah, someone beat me to it!

6. zachary vex

zachary vex Member

with all of the HRDX amps out there, and all of the Vexter BORs shipping, someone please answer this man's question if possible.

7. dotlikeimpact

dotlikeimpact Supporting Member

I didn't try it out into a HRDX, but the BOR sounded great into a BFTR. Blew the pants offa my OCD. Enough acronyms? The BOR sounded better to me into a clean-ish amp than as an overdrive. It's the best sounding dirty pedal I've heard. Damn you, Vex! Your new offerings are gonna send me to the land of debt!

8. onemind

onemind Member

BFTR=Blackface Twin Reverb (for those who were wondering) Lately I'm thinking nothing (Including some of the 'holy grail' ODs we discuss here could make me part with my OCD, gotta give the B.O.R. a shot (and lay off the acronyms!)

9. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I would like to try the B.O.R into my BDRI I think it would sound great!

BDRI=Blues Deluxe Re-issue :)

10. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

I don't want to be negative to anyone, especially Fuller, he makes great pedals; nor to Xotic, their BB preamp is very nice. I personally liked the BoR for my setup best out of all three. I wanted more mids, more fatness to my tone since I am a strat player 75% of the time and I play through very Marshally amps like the Germino Club 40 and a Dr. Z Route 66. This pedal allowed me to turn DOWN and still maintain all of the tone. I think the OCD and the Xotic BB preamp to me really hit their stride with a cranked amp, where the mids from the amp come in - then they sound nice. The BoR doesn't have the gain that the OCD has, but I don't use it for all out gain - I can stack it for thhat, and in fact the OCD is a great pedal IMO if is stacked with another pedal that can supplant more mids and low end. I like playing fuzzes and found both the BB and OCD to not respond as well at moderate volumes than the other pedals. EQ-wise, I like the way it sounds like a JTM45, really nice tone and bluesy and crunchy. Very musical to me. However, I actually bought the BB preamp because of how absolutelyfreakin great it sounded coming through a Fender 57 Twin reissue. THAT was a killer match for the pedal since the BB can add a lot of low end to that amp. Bottom line for me was how well it made my rig sound, fuller, thicker with a Strat; I dial it back for my 335 and it still sounds good. I can't tell sometimes when it is on, and it let both the Route 66 and Germino sound like they were meant to. With a fuzz pedal pushing it the BoR/Fuzz stack is freakin awesome. The pedal acts as a low pass filter, but doesn't give as much coloration as running a tube screamer pedal after a fuzz. BTW, the Bad Monkey into the BB preamp is a nice stack as well...but I digress. Anyway, the fuzz-BoR stack is everything I wanted it to be- it got rid of the annoying high end buzziness that I seem to always hear, even with the most smooth fuzz, and it sweetened it up. You can still back the guitar volume down and EVERTHING cleans up when stacked. The OCD and BB clean up, but stacked their was some coloration. I found the BB preamp to be rather noisy when cranked with my amps, the OCD was whisper quiet by comparison and the BoR is also extremely quiet. All in all, the BoR is just meshing better with my setup than the other pedals but all three are pretty nice and you can't go wrong with either. Many of these differences are only going to be heard alone in your bedroom, however when you play in a band setting I found that their effect on the sound is similar, but some cut through better than others.

11. nsriley

nsriley Member

I have a BOR and an version 1 OCD, and yesterday I was toggling back and forth with both.......they sound similar to my ears, but there is a difference, I can't quite describe what it is. But they will both remain on my board. I love them both! :)

-Peace
    -nate

12. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Haven't played a BoR yet, but I have a Hot Rod Deluxe and I don't like my OCD with it at all. I'm actually using a Marshall Jackhammer right now which gives a pretty decent Marshall sound.

The OCD to me is like a boost with hair that makes whatever you plug into sound much bigger and I guess more "extreme." So when I plugged it into a Marshall, it made the thing sound huge and chunky with lots of sustain. But the Fender just gets kind of muddy and dark.

I'm meaning to check out the BoR when I go dirt shopping with the guitarist in my band in the next couple weeks, but I'm also eyeing down a Crunch Box. But more likely than not I'll get a higher gain pedal like a Tube Zone or Blackstar first.

:dude

13. ptdesign

ptdesign Handmade sonic art

Sorry about that guys, I posted then crashed for the night. Yes the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.

14. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Same goes for me in my sad third world country of Kansas.

15. Tapp

Tapp Member

So, does the BOR clean up as well as the OCD? I've got V1 OCD thru my AC30 and it's really nice. The OCD cleans up better than any pedal I've had so most of the time I just leave it on and ride the volume knob.

Has anyone tried the BOR with an AC30?? The samples that I heard thru a Marshall was killer!

Tapp

16. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

One of the guys in the big BOR thread said that he uses his through a AC15 and it sounds great.

17. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

BOR cleans up BETTER than the OCD...IMHO. And plays better with pedals.

18. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

Is the Vexter version of the BOR available yet anywhere and anyone know what that will cost?

19. Amplite

Amplite Member

Took the question right out of my mouth!! Online sites anyone??

20. zachary vex

zachary vex Member

first batch of 240 shipping yesterday and today. musictoyz should have them, and twintown.com has 5 of them as of yesterday afternoon.