Box of Rock with bright amp (Fender style)...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by spiritofeden, Jan 25, 2008.

1. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

I'm courious about the BOR, but it seems made to deal with dark amp, better Marshall-type. Has anyone tried it with a fender twin or another bright voiced amp? How does it sound?

2. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

Sounds good with The hotrod 2x12 deville :)

3. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

I'm using a Carr Slant 6V (6v6's Chan 1) which is a bright amp. I keep the treb on the amp at 7-8 oclock almost off. And the tone on the BOR around between 9 and 11 oclock and it sounds AWESOME!

4. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

Thanks GOOD NEWS! Some more experiences from other users?

5. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

That's a pretty dark amp. I've had 2 of them.

6. DrGonzo

DrGonzo Gold Supporting Member

I found that the Menatone KOTB worked better with my Vibrolux clone than the BOR did. I also found the KOTB to be a little more flexible. The BOR was a very good pedal though and has tons of fans, so what do I know? :)

7. hangten

hangten Member

I've loved gigging with it using a DRRI and also with a SRRI!

my pedal board went from mucho pedals to wha>bor>echopark delay! (sometimes a fuzz or vibe)

8. benabloom

benabloom Member

BOR sounds great with all of my brighter amps. 69 Deluxe reverb, Allen Old Flame, Bandmaster reverb.

It absolutely KILLS with a Blues Jr. but that is kindof a darker amp. It took away a lot of the boxiness.

-B

9. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

But the BOR and the KOTB do not sound the same, as far as I know...Or are they closer than it seems?

10. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

Did you ever compared with a KOTB?

11. sega

sega Member

Yep I had one of these Fender hot rod deluxe and it went out the door.
    It does'nt have the clear spakling tone that the deluxe reverb has.
    Plus you slightly bring the volume up...I mean slightly and it went up the roof.
    And of course the overdrive was not my taste...but it is a cool amp for other purpose.

I'm glad I got my boogie and a fender deluxe reberb.

I might get the Box of Rock, but I need to know if it has gain.
    The Crunch Box by MI has too much, I need something in between..
    I need the Van Halen sound fromn the second album...i'm not greedy.

12. DrGonzo

DrGonzo Gold Supporting Member

Nope they don't sound exactly the same. When I had them both I was trying to audition a pedal that would give me Marshally tones (not a particular Marshall tone since there are obviously so many) out of my Blackface Vibrolux clone. In my earlier post I was speaking more to the boominess I couldn't dial out of the BOR with my amp. The KOTB gives me a nice Marshally crunch without some of the EQ issues I was having with the BOR. Once again this was just my opinion on my rig. I've heard clips of the BOR sounding phenomenal in the rigs of some other TGP'ers.

13. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I get that kind of sound from running my Fetto Deluxe into my Peters Halo that pumps into a 2x12 with a Celestion G12H30 and CL80.
    Maybe try a Fetto and see how that suits you?

-Ben

14. benabloom

benabloom Member

I haven't tried any Menatone pedals yet. I play mostly fender type amps (accept for a Bogner Shiva) and when a small gig calls for a marshall type sound, the BOR is my go to pedal. I really like the boost side for driving an "on the edge of breakup" fender.

While I don't use it a whole lot, it does what it does in spades, and the boost side is worth the price (vexter) to me alone. It cleans up EXTREMELY well at the guitar volume know which is quite usefull to me.

-B

15. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

it hates my super reverb.

There are a few decent sounds in there, but not really JTM45 sounds. Does the "honky tonk woman" thing pretty good but that's really it. The bass boost is really annoying to me, but i can tell it would work great for a jtm45 (ever played one at low volumes?? the bass is anemic). On the plus side, the boost is excellent with fender amps.

16. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

So the point is that I have a Fender twin rev "a-like" and a KOTB. The Menatone sounds great but has too much gain that I'm not going to use. Is it wise to sell it and buy a BOR since it's more low-midium gain oriented? I'm I givin up to the KOTB too soon? If I tweek a little more might I get the KOTB sound like the BOR? What would you do?

17. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

18. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I've never understood that argument - "It has too much gain that I won't use". So... don't crank the gain! The BoR also has a ton of gain when you dime the gain knob. Plenty for sustaining, feeding-back, arena rock solo stuff. So I think the BoR also has 'too much gain' that you're 'not going to use'.

You also seem to be implying that the KotB is designed for higher gain use only, or that the BoR is for low/medium only. That's sort of 1/2 true but totally depends on the guitar and amp of choice. I do think that the BoR does better on the med / lower gain settings because it gets a bit too mudy at higher gain settings... and then you compensate with the tone control... then the high strings get too bright... so there's a balance that cannot be reached at higher gain levels. At least that was my experience. The KotB seemed to do well throughout its gain range, although it did get a bit noisy faster than the BoR did at higher gain levels.

The KotB balances much better throughout the gain ranges (spec. the 7-knob), although it won't give you the girth or sparkle that the BoR provides. You will however find (IMO) a more pleasing, balanced tone. A bit more natural as well. For instance, I A/B'd my BoR with with a Menatone WMB and the WMB sounded like a new amp channel, and made the BoR sound very much like a distortion box. Which is not necessarily a bad thing as I'm sure you know. I mean, ****, they're all ultimately distortion boxes.

So it's up to you... I think it would be in your best interest to buy a BoR from a reputable online dealer that had a good return policy. Or find a good deal on a used one and A/B it directly with your KotB. Then sell one or the other when you're done with your shootout. I specifically think you should do this because the BoR seems to be a bit more rig-dependent than the KotB. So it may sound better than the KotB or not, depending on what you're running through and what you like. Ultimately, it all comes down to that... the 'best' pedal out there can sound like ass through a non-complimentary set of equipment.

-Ben

19. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

what about a working man's blue??? thats the closer comparison to the BoR.

The BoR is to marshalls what the WMB is to fenders = they both replicate the JTM45 sound.

20. ARch

ARch Member

I'm using it with a Fender Twin, and it's my go-to drive now (not to mention the sweet Boost side!)