Box of Rock

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by eternally found, Sep 4, 2008.

1. eternally found

eternally found Supporting Member

So... I just got an AC15, and I'm thinking about adding a Box of Rock to the mix. I love the openess of it. How does it sound through the AC15? Anyone tried it? I have only heard it through Marshall amps. It's not going to overtake the tone of my amp will it?? I also am going to be getting a handpainted SHO. So, how do these compare as far as gain? Thanks everyone! God bless!

2. impactblue

impactblue Member

Its sounds orrite...I play one through an AC15.

You gotta keep your AC15 clean and warm to get it to sound good. However whats amazing is....sometimes the AC15 doesnt sound too good with some dirt pedals. Put the Box of Rock after all your overdrive pedals...keep the gain below 9 o clock...and wala :p Makes everything sound better!

I personally don't use it as a standalone overdrive but its definitely good for that. I Just as a boost and for stacking

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

the BOR does sound ok. a little thin tho. but like all zvex pedals, they're amazingly articulate, and really allow your guitar to shine thru. no masking here.

another pedal to consider is the xotic BB or BB+. i personally like my BB+ tho into my AC30. much thicker and has more mids to fill in the lack of mids in the vox's overall sound.

4. eternally found

okay, so will the BB cover high gain... that's I think what I'm leaning/ Needing... or should I just maybe invest into a Rat, being that it would and could be cheaper than a BB, or BOR? What are some others to consider? I was also looking at the PP800... but I just want something with a little more options... Thanks for your help guys!

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

the BB is nicely high gain w/ humbuckers, but if you want HIGH GAIN, just go for the box o' metal. more than enough gain on tap, and frankly, blows the rat outta the water, into the air, and makes it explode into a million tiny pieces.

6. impactblue

impactblue Member

Hey Eternally found...I had a play with the Box of ROck again yesterday. I watched the Zvex demo video....and I set my AC15's clean sound to match the clean sound of the marshall in the demo...(well close enough lol)....
    It pretty much sounded 90% like the tone in the demo! Not my kinda thing...but good to know wot the Box of ROck is capable of....

Also checking out the BB+....does it have the whole amp sound and feel going on?

7. Greiginoz

Greiginoz Member

I just watched a you tube clip featuring the Box Of Rock and a Zendrive, I liked both the pedals but I think personally for my tastes the Zendrive would be my preference. Happy hunting.

8. eternally found

WEll, I just got an SHO today in the mail... like it, but still not quite what I'm looking for. I will definitely have to keep the search up though! THanks for all your guys' help! I think I will give the BOR a try. Should be the gain I'm looking for and the gain I need!!!!! (okay... want...)

9. Oatman

Oatman Member

I just got one and am finding it a bit noisy. Is this normal?

I understand that it is normal to get scratching and noise when adjusting the knobs, but I'm finding it generally noisy even at moderate settings. Not bad mind you, no squeeling or barking or anything. Just a gradually increasing (with gain/vol) background hiss. Not at all noticeable while playing except at extreme settings that I wouldn't ever use anyway.

It isn't noticeable on my '71 YBA-1 as it is totally masked by the amp noise (gotta work on that too), but on my other amps it's there. I have a few pedals in the chain, and I'm concerned about cumulative affects.

Should I be concerned?
    Thanks.

10. zachary vex

zachary vex Member

How does it sound alone, without anything else?

When you put it last in the chain, it's going to amplify all of the other noise in the chain. It sounds great last, but that noise might be coming from other stuff and getting magnified by the BOR.

11. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

Man I love this place. Where else could you get the actual builder and maker of a pedal make postive suggestions on how to get the most out of thier build? Thanks to Zachary, Paul C., Analog Mike, Bill F., Marc from Skreddy, Bjorn from BJF and all the other excellent inventors and builders who take the time to answer questions like these!!!:bow

12. jamiefbolton

jamiefbolton Supporting Member

me likey the BoR too guys. although i'm having trouble figuring out how i want to use it. i like it as the main OD but also as a tone shaping pedal at the end of the chain. it sound great either way in to the ol Hiwatt. and best when off playing the AC30

13. zachary vex

zachary vex Member

I'm thrilled that the BOR has found its home... at the end of a chain of pedals, feeding the amp something tasty. 8^)

14. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

Hi Brother. Hope you have a safe Holiday. Take care Keith
    P.S. Look forward to the new Designs.