Boy has 48th Street (N.Y.) changed.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pfrischmann, Oct 8, 2005.

1. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

Hi Guys,
    I just got back from a business trip to N.Y. I had about two extra hours and was staying at the Hilton on 54th and 6th Sooooo....

I went to one of my favorite places in the whole world. 48th street. Well, it aint the same. Sam Ash is very dissapointing. Mostly low end product made in Korea etc...Manny's was a bit better but more of the same, more of a tourist trap than anything else. Rudy's seems to be the most like I remember it. lots of interesting boutique stuff. I played a Louis Electric. Keith Richards amp. Very, very nice!

I guess all things must change. So sad.

2. jkr

jkr Supporting Member

Yes indeed. Once the Friedman family's "We Buy, Sell, and Trade Guitars" and the ESP store left, most of the character "left the building". Rudy's is pretty cool, but the guy who helps you with amps and pedals always makes you feel guilty for trying stuff. 30th Street guitars is what 48th used to be. That store is amazing.

3. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

No doubt............back in the early 80's I could walk there and find 2-3 people at least on the street with a guitar case open and a cherry guitar for sale..........cheap. I only wish I could go back in time and take advantage of some of those sales.

We trade guitars was full of old nasty scratched guitars and I only wanted a EVH clone with Dark side of the moon painted on it...........:eek:

Look how much has changed in 20 yrs................what will be 20 yrs from now? :(

Bad side.................Ed Roman was in his prime.........He F*ucked more people then a crack Ho on Sat. night with the Navy in town..........................

4. Funky Chicken

Funky Chicken Member

Rudy's is the only store left with any gear that interests me, but I get treated a lot better elsewhere. Whenever I walk in there I feel like I should be wearing a t-shirt that reads "YES I CAN AFFORD TO SHOP HERE".

5. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Richie Friedmann and Dave Davidson have resurrected "We Buy Guitars" out on Long Island.

30th St. Guitars would be the first place I would go these days. Matt (the owner) lives near me and we used to commute on the train together some times.

6. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

Yup, I live a 15 min drive from the train station for an hour trip to 48th st and I don't go down there anymore. The magic is gone! Especially since Sam ash bought out Manny's (This is why their stock is more similar now.)

Rudy's and 48th st. custom guitars(?) are the only reason to go down there now. The onyl thing is when I step in those stores I feel unless I'm ready to whip $3k out of my pocket on the spot I'm wasting their time. I'm also afraid to touch anything (This could jsut be the chilhood fear of breaking something in the antique shop while Mommy shopped)

I have one guy around here who at least carries cool pedals Steve's music center, his guitars suck, and his amps while some cool are always in boxes ready to be shipped (I guess a large portion of his business is internet) he stocks some of the best pedals around. So those rare occasions I have a day to go window shopping I'll typically go to Steves. NY professional guitars was cool, but they are now more Black creek guitars in New Paltz. Haven't checked them out yet, but are supposed to have some KILLER amps (Fuchs..etc) there. I missed the time they had a suhr in stock to try out. I have yet to play one, and being here sure has me gassing for one!

For everything else, I typically go to alto music down the street.

Thank god we still have boutique guys that care!

7. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

48th St. Custom was gone last time I was there.

Black Creek sold me my Germino, and Carr Mercury. My brother lives up there. Black Creek had lots of Zs and Two Rocks, some Carrs, and this K&M modded Deluxe which I assume they still have.

In NYC there is Ultrasound. It's a major pain in the butt to make an appointment for me so I was there once and checked out Two Rocks and Brunos. I could really use a VHT dealer in a walk-in store around here.

Royal Music in Merrick is a good Rivera dealer. Got my first Jake there and they gave me an excellent trade on the R30-112 in that deal.

If by Alto you mean the one in Middletown, they're not bad. Not that far from them is Imperial, which is a decent Rivera dealer - got my R100-212 there.

8. jda

jda Member

Cool! Where is the resurrected We Buy Guitars?

9. PaulE

PaulE Supporting Member

Where are you-Middletown? I haven't been to Steve's but Blackcreek is great-not too far from you.I have an alto 5 minutes from me and I wouldn't buy a pic from those guys.The Middletown
    store is much better

10. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I was out there about a month ago for a biz trip--my hotel was about 7 blocks away. I even had a meeting less than a block away but didn't bother to stop by. My last visit there could well be my last.

Though I've been pretty irritated by Rudy's staff on another forum, I must admit that they were quite nice to me the one time I visited their shop.

11. big hair

big hair Member

I stayed in Times Sq for a week back in July. Obviously these shops were about 100 yards from my hotel, which I thought was nice. Sadly most of the stuff was the same as what I could get in the UK :(

I think Rudys had some interesting amps in there, but the guy was busy demoing some of them to his friend in the tiny space so I couldnt really get a chance to hear any of them :(

I wanted to go to Ultrasound but not enough time to sneak away from the missus :)

12. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

It was going to be in Roslyn but the lease on the place fell through for some landlord nonsense so they got another place. I forget where, but it's out on the Island.

Great guys, those two.

13. psychodave

psychodave Senior Member

I was at a friends house a few years ago and Louis had one of his KR combos with him. It was a very cool amp.

14. Amplite

Amplite Member

Ahhh! the old days!
    We Buy Guitars, a new store called Rudy's, Tad's Steak House (where I met Leslie West), Orange Julius on the corner (where I met Carlos Santana holding about 5 Pignose amps in boxes tied together from Manny's) And who else remembers Eddie Bell Guitars upstairs and a couple blocks over??
    It's a great time for gear right now but ...GOD I miss those days...those wonderful days!!

Sorry guys I'm rambling and showing my age!
    :cool:

15. jkr

jkr Supporting Member

Rudy's is the only store left with any gear that interests me, but I get treated a lot better elsewhere. Whenever I walk in there I feel like I should be wearing a t-shirt that reads "YES I CAN AFFORD TO SHOP HERE".

I've always felt like I also should have been wearing that T-shirt when I shopped there. It probably should have also said, "I'M GOING TO BUY SOMETHING TODAY AT AROUND LIST PRICE, AND DON'T WORRY, I WON'T ASK YOU TO LET ME TRY IT OUT."

Yes, 48th Street Custom, the only other boutique shop on the street is also gone. That place was great and so were the guys who worked there.

I first started shopping on 48th street about 30 years ago (showing my age) and I also remember guys hard up for cashing sitting on the sidewalk with their guitar cases open asking if you were interested in their 1970, 71, 72 Les Paul, SG, or Strat for whatever chump change you wanted to offer them. Yes, I remeber wondering why anyone would pay $1700 for a Sunburst early 60s Les Paul or Strat in the window of "We Buy Guitars" when they could get a new Kramer Barretta that Eddie Van Halen endorsed for $600 (now worth $150).

It will be interesting to see what goes up and down in 20 or 30 years from now. I wish Richie Friedman all the best with the re-opening of "We Buy Guitars". I wouldn't hesitate to buy something from him site unseen. He's a great guy.

16. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

YMMV. That guy at 48th St. Custom (Mas? was that his name?). He just didn't like me or something. I bought a Schecter Strat from him - I am a fan of old Schecters. Every time I went in there he followed me around and didn't want to let me try anything.

By the way that Schecter Strat is pictured here:

http://www.zen-pharaohs.com/guitars/ugly_guitar.htm

It's one of my favorite guitars ever.

17. jda

jda Member

Thanks! Close to my parents' house.. ;)

18. bigeric

bigeric Member

Alex was the joint back in the day. I saw my first 1958 sunburst there 2k at the that time. Late 70's I believe. 50's strats were everywhere as well as dot neck 335's etc etc etc.

19. Gotham City Blues

Gotham City Blues Member

It's funny, but I grew up in NYC and used to make the trip regularly to 48th street in the 80's. I was impressed with We Buy Guitars, but in general, I found the experience of shopping on 'the strip' to be aggravating. Me and my brother had a running joke:

What do you call an instrument salesman on 48th street?

An "Ash-hole".

No offense intended to the '48th st faithful'.

20. jeffhef

jeffhef Member

I need to check out 30th...

Doesn't Sam Ash own Manny's now?

I went to 48th for the first time about 3 years ago. I go to NYC regularly and stay at either the Wesin or one of the other TS hotels. I was extremely disappointed. Noting like what I'd read about since I was a kid.

The important question...did you go see Les Paul at the Iridium? THAT is worth the trip.

jeffhef