bpssc--Anyone else notice this too?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by pete692, Jul 10, 2008.

1. pete692

pete692 Silver Supporting Member

Okay, so I've read all the threads, reviews and endorsements and have lived with the Suhr bpssc (used with custom shop 69's) for about a month now and I am pretty much satisfied with it.

I am not satisfied with all of the breathless reporting here and elsewhere about how the tone of the pickups is totally unaltered. I don't know if it is just a case of the emperor's new clothes or if people just chose not to hear it, but the backplate system definitely takes some of the low mids out of the signal and leaves a bit (just a tiny bit) of metallic zing on top of the signal. It is really apparent on finger slides up the wound strings. Again, the sound is actually still quite good, and the hum reduction in my music room (transformer box in the yard, right outside the window) makes the bpssc essential for my strat, but the change in tone is definitely there.

This is an objective observation only, and the tone I have now is still a valid strat tone, no doubt about it, but it is not identical to the tone I had without the backplate.

Any new thoughts on this???????????

2. TwoTubMan

TwoTubMan Member

THIS...

is gonna be FUN!!!

3. landru64

landru64 Member

whenever you remove noise or add it, i am pretty confident it will subjectively change the tone. when i plugged my recording system into balanced power (producing a measurable noise reduction), i hear timbral differences, even more obviously than i hear a reduction in 'noise.' i don't doubt that you are experiencing something new. the question is: is it worse or better?

i didn't notice a huge change in tone with the backplate, but i also have a lot of noise compared to say dimarzio humcanceling singles a la the area pickups...

4. pete692

The point of the thread is not about whether the sound is better or worse. It is not a product that is supposed to make your tone better or worse. It is different. That is point of the thread.

No change in tone. That is how this thing has been marketed.

5. landru64

landru64 Member

maybe you're right. maybe it should be marketing as 'not negatively affecting the goodness of single coils.' i'll leave that to some brilliant tagline guy....

6. oscar100

oscar100 Member

i feel it takes teh top end off v slightly but its cool none teh less

7. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

It does not alter your tone......other than the fact that noise is part of the "tone".

Otherwise, you're hearing things.............sorry.

8. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

I said this a while back , I think you can tell ,not in a bad way but defiantly not the same . Some of the openness is also gone. Still the best option though.

9. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

HMMMM I felt mine with my Fender Fat 50s removes a touch of the highs. Then again, I debate this because I think the removal of hum also gives me that illusion. I am so used to the noisy high end artifacts in the sound that I almost believe highs are lost when they are gone.

For me the jury is still out. I still say its only 50% effective in hum redux, approaching 70% if you aren't in crappy wiring.

10. pete692

I was kind of thinking the same thing, that the reduction in noise took out some of the high end that wasn't actually supposed to be there, but then again when I play at a friend's house that has no hum problems, I still feel that the tone of my strat is altered.

By the way, in response to a previous post, I'm not hearing things and it isn't in my head. I have had the same strat for 13 years and am super familiar with the way it sounds and feels. You should be able to make an objective observation on this forum about a piece of gear and not be told that you are hearing things.

11. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

I won't say you are hearing things but I can't tell any difference in real "tone" with the BPSSC.
    My ears aren't the best after 30 plus years of playing though.

I had a buddy and band mate of mine turn the trim pots as I actually played to get it set on one guitar.
    All I could hear was the hum and noise being "reduced". Reduced being the operative word.

In real world gigging and playing with a band I certainly couldn't hear anything missing in the tone other than some of the noise.

I think it is a great alternative. Over priced as far as I'm concerned but I think that about a lot of stuff!

YMMV

12. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I think there is a difference between the after-market version and the factory installed version.

I personally played a Suhr Tele style guitar w/ factory installed BPSSC while at Suhr that had a push-pull tone pot that defeated the BPSSC system. While I played, Mark Robinson worked the defeat knob.

It wasn't perfect listening conditions - they are manufacturing guitars there (GRIN), but playing through John Suhr's personal BF Super Reverb, I couldn't hear the difference betwen the BPSSC engaged or disengaged, except that the hum was gone.

I have not tried an after-market install. It did seem to me that the difference in the factory install was very slight - I couldn't hear any difference at all in the Suhr assembly room, nor could I detect any difference in 'feel'.

Hope this helps, Dana O.

13. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

I've a factory install on my Suhr Classic. I've sat there playing with the push/pull pot that defeats it. Other than removing noise (which may actually make some frequencies more apparent), I've not noticed a difference. Anybody have any idea how the aftermarket unit varies in efficacy and tone...?

jb

14. PFCG

PFCG Member

why is this a topic of discussion. If you like, you buy, if you no like, you no buy

15. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

And if you can't try before you buy?

16. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

You can't hear the difference?

17. PFCG

PFCG Member

you can always try before you buy

18. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

Is the cavity in Suhr's shielded with paint or foil or just plain wood?

19. Slotunes

Slotunes Supporting Member

Not my experience at all, although John put it in for me.Im using '57 reissue p/u and for the first time can really hear these things w/out all the damn hum!In fact that guitar has never sounded better.I was ready to sell it till I stumbled upon the BPSSC.It may be the spcific pickups, but Im more than satisfied!Id try and work with the setup of the unit and try adn really get it dialed in, its worth it.